A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,661
Currently Running With Scissors:
488 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: know how to knit?  (Read 1084 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xstillxherex72
« on: August 30, 2006 11:46:05 AM »

then you can help me out!!
i live in canada, where it gets cold, cold, cold, and have started making 5"x5" knitted squares. Unfortuently, I'm not super fast, so I won't be able to make probably more than one blanket before middle of october - early november, when the temperature drops low.

So. What I'm doing is making blankets and then distributing them to other orginizations in larger cities to hand out to homeless people, and giving the blankets away to homeless shelters, abused women centers, orphanges, and smaller blankets can even go to animaml shelters.

Anyways though, heres my point: I'd appreciate it ALOT if you guys helped out a bit. I want to make at least 3 blankets by October. and i need some good, experienced (by experienced i mean can make a square with 1 or 2 increase/decreases, tops....i dont mean that you have to be able to make some fancy jumpsuit or whatever you help out.) knitters.

Heres the details:
-The squares must be 5"x5"
-There can't be any holes or mess ups in the squares, unless its very small
-There must be a tail of yarn of about...a foot and a half
-The squares can be any color at all, but try not to lean towards light colors like pale yellow, cream, and white.
-You can make/mail as many squares as you like!
-The preferred type of yarn is chunky/thick

If theres some interest in this, I'll post my address, and I can answer any questions.

Please help out. You can help save a life.

much love.

edit: i forgot to mention; if you dont know how to knit but somehow have some spare balls of yarn/wool around, those can be mailed too to help out!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006 11:48:03 AM by xstillxherex72 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mint
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006 02:49:50 PM »

this sounds interesting I might be able to do it... but where would to? just pm me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rhapsodomancy
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006 09:19:09 PM »

That's quite a big issue you're tackling!  I'd love to help if I can.  Yep, I'm a pretty experienced knitter--holes are not a problem.  Exactly just how chunky should the yarn be?  Are synthetic fibers acceptable, even though they don't do much in terms of insulation?  Just please don't post your address online!!  PM those interested instead  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitsch, please! (a knitting blog) Updated!

You say 'kitschy' like it's a bad thing.
xstillxherex72
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006 08:42:36 AM »

thanks, Rhapsodomancy! I've been using some spare yarn that I found, without the label, so I'm not exactly 100% sure on either of your questions (synthetic fibers/how chunky) but I have a friend who is like, a goddess at knitting, so I'll ask her, then inform you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

buckynbaby
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006 11:48:44 PM »

I love making squares as little in between projects...helps me with my crafting ADD to have things that I can actually complete!!!  Let me know how I can help.  I bought some wool recently that I am designating for charity, so if you want a wool hat or 2 as well, I can help out with that too.

~L
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xstillxherex72
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006 04:45:23 PM »

update!
yayyy! for those of you who don't know, this project now has an offical name -- Warm Up Winter. AND! Theres even a website up and running now at www.myspace.com/warmupwinter Please check it out, add us, tell all your knitting buddies, and we'll grow a knitting empire together! Most of the updates will be on the website so if you want a heads-up on whats going on with the project, add us!!
Thank you soo much to everyone who had an interest in this, both here, at punkrockdomestics, and who PM'ed me.

much love! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SmartCookie427
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006 03:47:07 AM »

i know project linus is a popular thing for groups to do-
you just by some fleece, and then work on fringing the edges and tying the fringe. it's quick, easy, cheap, and helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Postings of a craftaholic!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make a Ham
How to make Baked Beans in a Dutch Oven
How to make The Ultimate Chicken and Rice
How to make Fried Potatoes
How to make Pork Ribs in a Dutch Oven
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...