A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,707
Currently Running With Scissors:
768 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Found some good info on shoe-making  (Read 3344 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ibimus
Soup Nazi

I'm crackers about cheese, Grommit!

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2006 06:37:15 PM »

http://www.marywalesloomis.com/index.html

Enjoy!

I'm guessing to make a really good last, wrap your foot snugly, but still comfortably in plastic (Saran) wrap, than in tin foil. Pull the whole thing off (without distorting), fill with plaster, and let dry. For a sturdier mold, cover the plastic wrap with duct tape instead of foil.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.

www.livejournal.com/users/ibimus
www.myspace.com/ibimus
Kaos
A random assortment of artistic delicacies.

Photo editors are dangerous...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006 06:47:15 PM »

I would LOVE to make my own shoes...I can never find cool platforms. What would you suggest after making the mold of your foot?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mosquito
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006 06:47:56 PM »

That looks really cool! I may have to buy that book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ibimus
Soup Nazi

I'm crackers about cheese, Grommit!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006 06:54:54 PM »

Kaos, a mold of the foot, usually called a last is traditionally made fom wood. However, for us DIYers, I would suggest plaster of paris. See my first post for a quickie last. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.

www.livejournal.com/users/ibimus
www.myspace.com/ibimus
smartygirl

riding the angst train all the way to the f-word

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006 11:38:43 AM »

i bought that book! haven't made any shoes yet though... that is on my ever-growing list of things to do. i would love to hear from anyone who has tried it!

fyi, in the book she recommends making lasts one of two ways: by taking a pair of thrift-store shoes that fit well (but you don't mind destroying), oiling the insides, and filling with plaster of paris. you basically rip the shoe apart to get it off, but you can re-use the heel when you make your shoes.

the other way is to stick your feet (wear stockings!) in shoeboxes and fill them with plaster. there were more details than that  - obviously you'd need a way to get your feet out of there. i'm planning on sticking with option #1 above for my first pair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tipassoi
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006 02:02:25 AM »

Ooooh, I'd love to be able to actually make shoes.

One question for those who have the book - how do you make the heels? I can see more-or-less how you'd make the rest of the shoe from the pictures, but do you have to buy the heels separately? Can you get them from cobblers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smartygirl

riding the angst train all the way to the f-word

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006 08:07:56 PM »

you have to buy the heels, or use ones from shoes you have taken apart.

just a warning... i thought you could tell a lot from the website about how to make shoes, but there is more info in the book that will make the shoes sturdier/longer-lasting (i assume... i haven't gotten around to trying to make a pair yet!)

in other shoe-making news, i notice that fluevog sells replacement soles on their website: http://www.fluevog.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

janeofalltrades
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007 07:04:20 PM »

OH, Smartygirl, thanks for the tip on the Fluevog soles!  I have Mary's book, too.  It's good to have another option in case I want to make only the uppers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leentje
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007 02:04:44 AM »

I also bought the book of mary wales loomis. I LOVE it! Unfortunately I still have one exam left before I can call myself a dentist, so I could only make a last in that time..

(IMAGINE all the cool materials I will have free access to! Plaster, stone which I found is really hard.. duh, but for a cast of a good last it'll be perfect! Because the plaster of paris stays a bit chalky so it's a bit messy.. I will even be able to make casts of cool heels and make them out of plastics!)

The best way to make a last is the get some cheap shoes that fit nicely and you may want to salvage the heel of! Because if you take older shoes you will get all the humps and bumps that are in them also... I didnt have time to get new shoes, so I had to tape up some old ones, since they were sandals.

I also put a panty hose in it, stupid because the plaster didnt go all the way into the toes.. so with the other shoe I pulled out the stocking before filling it.

The pink is very hard stone (from dental school) and the white is normal plaster of paris. Cute shoe, but I had a very similar pair.

Finished last! It was pretty difficult to get the other foot exactly the same..

The shoes I took apart were all glued together and the soles were just made of paper and leather! Great! Will be continued!

x L
THIS ROCKS   Logged

diannab
founder member of the ZaftigMomma appreciation Society : )

Away..... stalking..... will return shortly......

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007 04:07:52 AM »

Hubby told me I can buy the book the second week of Feb!!! Cheesy For My VDAY prezzie!!!!!!!!!!!!!! heheheehe hey.... thats a YKYACW Grin LOL

I personally emailed Mary to ask about the solemaking process... She tells you to use ones off of your old shoes. I myself would go to a cobbler... A bit expensive for me... but the guy I found is probably a good deal he said about 30 dollars (Worse case scenario with heel) Cheesy I am gonna have to check out that other website recommended for soles Grin I would love to get into designing shoes Grin heheheeheeheheehehe eheheh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may be out of touch for a few days.my cable company merges we are experiencing lots growing pains!!! Email: diannabishop@yahoo.com
Would you like a Child/baby clothing & gift board?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author Wendy Lawless on Growing Up with Her Mother
Rebecca Serle on Her Novel "When You Were Mine"
Hannah Tunnicliffe on Her Novel "The Color of Tea"
5 Factors of Aging from Dr. Mike Moreno
Author John Witt Discusses the Hidden Story of the Laws of War
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...