A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,669
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First 'zine transfer! And stuff...  (Read 1350 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sitki
« on: August 29, 2006 06:21:35 PM »

The black-framed tree is my first-ever magazine transfer with liquid scupley. I really like it, but I scrubbed a little hard on the back getting the paper fibers off, and so rubbed some ink off, and it's a little wrinkly, but I like it. The cow skull/head was made from an accident. You all have probably done the same thing, tried hard to make on ething, only to screw up and then realize you could totally turn it in to something awesome. So yay.

I forget what kind of bead it is I made in the next row, but it's the same technique used to make the 'elissa-hearts' on the bottom: squish/twist etc your scrap clay, mold into rectangle, cut in half and attach side by side, then cut each half in half, and fold those halves behind, thusly turning the rectangle inside out and smoothing the seams.

The othe two are just pendants...the beetle i printed out on special shrinky paper for the computer.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart personal swaps!
merbs

CED CUR CERVISIA ABEST?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006 03:31:17 AM »

Cool skull. (Most of my projects, esp involving canes, were supposed to be something else..lol)

How did you do the magazine transfer? I've read about using liquid sculpey in a decoupage sort of way or with transferring ink jet copies but not with something like a magazine pic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~mb~~
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006 10:50:37 AM »

sitki, love the cow-deer-whatever skull!!

I forget what kind of bead it is I made in the next row. . .

The general method of making a mirror-image symmetrical pattern in a polymer clay bead from scraps, is called a "Natasha" bead (after Natasha Fleishig).  Various clayers were making symmetical abstract images before that, like Dave Edwards, but she was the one who popularized the 4-sided type many years ago.
(there's more info on making Natasha beads on this page for anyone interested:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/beads.htm
......look under Symmetrical Pattern Beads > Natasha)
And there's more info on doing symmetry with canes in particular, on this page:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/canes--instructions.htm
....esp. under Symmetry & Repetition)

How did you do the magazine transfer? I've read about using liquid sculpey in a decoupage sort of way or with transferring ink jet copies but not with something like a magazine pic.

merbs, magazine pages are usually the easiest images to transfer, especially for beginners who haven't figured out yet exactly which combination of variables works for them... which includes many clayers!  They're great fun to do because the images are so saturated with color and they release so easily.

Papers used for "good" magazines are "clay-coated" and are therefore slick and glossy.  Almost any magazine with "quality" pages will work, but interestingly many magazine covers won't work.

On thing to note when making transfers from magazine pages though is that the images will necessarily be reversed if they're made directly onto clay (since they can't be flipped in the computer when using a printer). 
If they're made as freestanding "decals" though, they can be placed onto the clay flipped over so they will be the correct orientation. 
For Translucent Liquid Sculpey, this will usually mean that the image is a little frosty (depending on how thick the decal transfer is made), but the other brands of liquid clay (the Kato brand, and the Fimo brand) are clearer so the images will have a less frosty look when reversed and viewed through the cured liquid clay.

Btw, there are some tips on soaking, etc. to remove the paper when making transfers on this page, if you want to check them out:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/transfers.htm
(Liquid Clays > Basic Instructions)

Diane B.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2008 02:18:41 PM by batgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
mermaide
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006 08:38:27 AM »

It's probably on that site, but the easiest way to peel the paper of is to soak the whole thing in water for an hour, and rubbing it off with your fingers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftsters do it better.
sitki
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006 09:11:48 AM »

sitki, love the cow-deer-whatever skull!!

Thanks, I love fixing mistakes Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart personal swaps!
Meshuge
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006 08:04:05 PM »

These totally rock, love that cow head (I kind of have an obsession with them, which I know is a weird thing for a vegan to be obsessed with, but they're really cool) and the image transfer pendant I'm totally pining for. I just love your style, those beads and little pendants I would be very, very, very proud of if I were you, they're amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss Mermaid Strikes Back

spirit day was crazy

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006 08:07:53 PM »

i love love love the leaf, wish i was that good
THIS ROCKS   Logged

join the september wish list swap!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=193590.0

www.wists.com/MissMermaid

enjoy felting? want to trade for some wool dreads? PM me!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Side French Braids Are A Versatile Hair Trend
5 Beauty Trends For Fall
Summer Beauty Tips
Back to School, Back to Work, Back to Fall Beauty
Toxic Beauty?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...