A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
525 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: local yarn store  (Read 9826 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shannonburns
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2004 12:35:23 PM »

i wish i had money to go.. Sad i know i'd spend too much. i just blew what i had on hot pink pleather at joanns!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check me out on ebay under rubyroxxdesigns or visit me on live journal at:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/irelynfaerie/35286.html?view=121302#t121302
ReesaRe
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2004 12:49:48 PM »

the new jo anns is nice, but the place where you can pick out patterns and sit down isnt any bigger. i was dissappointed. the place is so crowded sometimes. hooray for their fabric selection, though!!!
my mom said a new bead store just opened in newark???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"In a good shoe, I wear a size six, but a seven feels so good, I buy a size eight."
haykyn

Smart Women Vote!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2004 07:31:28 AM »

the new jo anns is nice, but the place where you can pick out patterns and sit down isnt any bigger. i was dissappointed. the place is so crowded sometimes. hooray for their fabric selection, though!!!
my mom said a new bead store just opened in newark???

Haven't heard anything about a new bead store yet, but a new knitting store opened up in pike creek (I think).  Too far for me to trek - it sounds like a real pain in the ass to get to from N. wilmington.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trust yourself.  You know more than you think you do.  -Dr. Spock
hick
only god can judge me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2005 07:54:41 PM »

Yippee! Fellow Delawarians! And I was beginning to think all hope was lost.. Grin

I live in Camden, right next to CR High, if you know where that is. We should all think about gettin together and havin a lil craftin party or somethin!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baby you know I'm crazy about you...<3
Kim + Kevin [090405]...<3

<3 KiMMER
metamurph
Lifeguarding the gene pool!

Blinkie worm!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005 02:01:55 PM »

New bead store in Newark - Sparkles Bead Shop and Gallery. It's just off Kirkwood Highway down closer to the University end, in a little plaza behind Perkins Family Restaurant (I don't remember the name of the plaza). 

And a little further north, there's the quilt shop (Quilter's Hive), and then further north on the left is A.C. Moore. Plus I know there are at least two sewing machine stores on Kirkwood Highway itself.

There's lots of fun things to do around this area. :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Need a sewing pattern? Check out my Etsy:

http://singlebutcrafty.etsy.com
Flannigan
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2005 04:00:41 AM »

Hey everyone, Lewes girl here Smiley

There's a yarn store in Rehoboth on the Avenue called Knitty Gritty, just a little before the library. It's on your right if you're heading towards the beach. I've only been there once myself, just to pick up some DPNs, but from what I saw it was quite nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FabulousErin

Philly Representin!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2005 09:06:37 PM »

Hey guys! Another fellow Delawarean here! (Although I'm at college in Philly most of the time).

I cannot wait to go to this Sparkle Beads store...is there anyplace online or somewhere I can get info? I <3 beading and jewelry so much but I'm getting tired of the stuff at ACmoore (I work there and get all the coupons I want so there's not need for me to hoard).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Whatever you are, be a good one." [Abraham.Lincoln]
metamurph
Lifeguarding the gene pool!

Blinkie worm!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2005 06:04:19 AM »

Hey guys! Another fellow Delawarean here! (Although I'm at college in Philly most of the time).

I cannot wait to go to this Sparkle Beads store...is there anyplace online or somewhere I can get info? I <3 beading and jewelry so much but I'm getting tired of the stuff at ACmoore (I work there and get all the coupons I want so there's not need for me to hoard).

Hey, I went to AC Moore looking for the Pure Allure bead stuff that's on sale and couldn't find it ANYWHERE. I left with two bead books instead. If I can't make it, I'll read about it.  Roll Eyes

About Sparkles Beads, as of this time, I can't find ANY info online. I can tell you that the hours are a little wonky - she's only open till 5 during the weekdays, and till 8 on Thursdays. I don't remember if she does weekends or not.

As for her prices...well, I'm a big fan of gemstones, and I like buying by the strand. Most of the strands I've bought from other places online have been 14 - 16 inches, and hers tend to run only about 8 - 12 inches...but she charges the same for them. I also bought a spool of plain old 20-gauge wire from AC Moore for 2.99 and she wanted 3.75 for the same thing. Sterling silver beads and findings run about 70 cents/gram. I have no idea if that's good or not.

I lean to the cheap, especially since I'm just learning, and I guess I wasn't too impressed with her prices. I'll go back, though. I can't stay away from a bead store.

On the fliipside, she does have a lot of pretty stones, and there are tons of project ideas and finished pieces just hanging around the store. She has oodles of findings and stringing supplies, and if you're looking for Swarovski crystal, she's loaded with it. She also has a great little project area set up where you can sit down and go through a bunch of bead books and magazines that she's provided. I hope she offers classes at some point, since she seems to be very knowledgable (I keep referring to the owner as "she" since I don't know her name!) and I can't always make it to the ezbeads.com store in Chadds Ford.

Ok, have to do some work now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Need a sewing pattern? Check out my Etsy:

http://singlebutcrafty.etsy.com
slystr
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2005 08:02:39 PM »

I used to live in Newark, I livein Dallas TX now but I go home 2 times a year. It's good to know where the LYS & other craft places are. I remember back in the day when Newark was filled with little bead shops and Dannemans was the best fabric store outside of Phily.( it was located across from Mc Donalds at the top of Main St. I think ther is a TOYOTA  dealer there now.)There used to be a bunch of groovy places on Phila Pike but alas and alack, time has pushed them to the dust bin of history. Go to the bead shop even if the prices are a lillte higher than the big box stores like AC Moore. If the shop survives, (and I used to work at the State Theater so I remember rents being astronomical even then) you'll be able to get great variety and perhaps even get classes that can  draw beaders & artists that the big box places would never get.

I so miss Newark. really.
sylett strickland NHS80 UD90
THIS ROCKS   Logged
haykyn

Smart Women Vote!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2005 08:11:43 PM »

When I was in high school, my mom used to take me Dannemans on Main St./kirkwood as a special treat because they had such a "huge" selection.  Ah, memories.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trust yourself.  You know more than you think you do.  -Dr. Spock
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Measuring Fabrics for DIY Projects
Choosing Fabrics for Gift Wraps
Choosing Fabrics for Upholstery
Matching Buttons with Fabrics
How to Crochet a Bobble Stitch
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...