A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
437 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cable chart question  (Read 603 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fiber_freak

ruthee in Jacksonville -- Proud Knitting Bitch =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006 06:14:31 AM »

Ok Ok, I can't let this stupid thing beat me.
2 questions before I start on it for the 10th time
(yes I counted how many times I ripped it apart)

Firstly, by reading the increases on the chart am I right in thinking that it's the even number rows which should be reversed?

Can you tell us which row(s) you are referring to?

'put the first 3 sts on cable needle, hold to back; knit next 2 sts from left needle; slip purl st from cable needle back to left needle and purl it; knit 2 sts from cable needle'

I can't recognise which one is the purl st, would it be the stitch on the left of the cable needle or the right? (I know the difference and can usually look and see, but this has me stumped!)

If you are looking at your cable needle, the purl stitch should be the first stitch on the right end of the cable needle.  The stitches on the cable needle, from right to left, should be: purl, knit, knit.

I do not understand why you can not just purl the stitch directly from the cable needle, to be honest.

Your other option would be to transfer all the stitches from the cable needle back to the left hand needle:  slip your knit, knit, purl stitches back to your left hand needle and work:  purl, knit and knit.

If you are comfortable enough, work them from your cable needle (like it is your left-hand needle). 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog (of course....)
http://saoirse4me.blogspot.com
Wizardesssss

Cherish your bliss!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006 12:03:37 PM »

I think I get it now (fingers crossed really tightly)

On rows 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, etc the sts should be swapped (knits to purls, purls to knits)
Right?

And

The purl st is on the right hand side of the needle.

(God I feel like such a dork!)
I do not understand why you can not just purl the stitch directly from the cable needle, to be honest.

Maybe I'm supposed to twist it when I slip it?Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fiber_freak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006 12:16:15 PM »

I think I get it now (fingers crossed really tightly)

On rows 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, etc the sts should be swapped (knits to purls, purls to knits)
Right?

By George, you have got it!  =)  See, don't give up!

For the MOST part, that is the case with cables.  However, more intricate charts can throw a surprise in there for you....so still read your chart. 

You are working a chart, back and forth, with a front and back.  If you work something in the round, such as a sweater body or a sock, things are a wee bit different. 

If you want to slip that purl stitch and it makes you more comfortable...DO!  =) 

Just be careful not to TWIST your stitches when slipping them to the left hand needle.  This will tighten your stitch and make the cable look a wee bit funny. 

You picked a hard chart to start cables with....(grin)....but you seem to now have the hang of it! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog (of course....)
subloke
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006 12:51:36 PM »

If you are looking at your cable needle, the purl stitch should be the first stitch on the right end of the cable needle.  The stitches on the cable needle, from right to left, should be: purl, knit, knit.

Um, Not trying to start a fight, but no, they won't.  From right to left on the cable needle they will be knit knit purl.

The five stitches you will be crossing are:
k k p k k
then you will have
k k (cable needle:  p k k )
you knit the "k k" from the left hand needle while holding the (cable needle: p k k) at the back
THEN, you slip the p from the cable needle leaving it with (cable needle: k k) and purl that p stitch
THEN, you slip the k k from the cable needle back onto the lefthand needle and knit them.

Your other option would be to transfer all the stitches from the cable needle back to the left hand needle:  slip your knit, knit, purl stitches back to your left hand needle and work:  purl, knit and knit.

If you are comfortable enough, work them from your cable needle (like it is your left-hand needle). 

You need to put the purl stitch back onto the left hand needle (from the cable needle) because it will be at the left most part of the cable needle, which will make it impossible to purl.  You shouldn't twist that stitch unless directed to do so. 

ALL you are doing when you put the stitches on the cable needle is moving them out of the way so the 2 knit stitches on the left hand side can cross over them.  THEN the purl stitch (the middle, constant) will continue up the middle underneath the crossed stitches.  THEN the 2 knit stitches (which originally were on the right) will be put back on the left hand needle in the way that they appear (i.e. don't cross them/don't twist them) and knit them. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
Wizardesssss

Cherish your bliss!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006 05:56:01 PM »

Wooohooo...Wooohooo ...Woohooo...I DID IT!!!!!!  Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

Thing is though, it looks nothing like the one photographed on the site, my cables just don't pop out like those. But I can kinda see the pattern.

Going to try it again, with a different yarn and an extra 2 sts all the way around the piece, I think it will make the cables show a little better.

Thanks to everyone that helped, I really do appreciate it and will keep you informed on how the next one goes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
subloke
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006 06:11:38 PM »

Grin Grin Grin
YAY!!!!  You should post a celebratory pic of your cable!

Sometimes the cables "pop" and sometimes not as much.  A lot of that has to do with your yarn I think, but sometimes it depends on the surrounding background as well.

Either way,

Way to go! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
fiber_freak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2006 09:14:33 AM »

Um, Not trying to start a fight, but no, they won't.  From right to left on the cable needle they will be knit knit purl.

The five stitches you will be crossing are:
k k p k k
then you will have
k k (cable needle:  p k k )
you knit the "k k" from the left hand needle while holding the (cable needle: p k k) at the back
THEN, you slip the p from the cable needle leaving it with (cable needle: k k) and purl that p stitch
THEN, you slip the k k from the cable needle back onto the lefthand needle and knit them.

I don't take it as you trying to start a fight! 

Especially since you are right!  My mistake and my apologies for any confusion!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog (of course....)
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Smokey Eyes in 5 Easy Steps
How to Use Your Lipstick in Different Ways
Dramatic Wine Colored Lips at the Bibhu Mohatpatra SS 2014 Show
Punk Princess Inspired Makeup at the Nicole Miller SS 2014 Fashion Show
The Best New Beauty Products for February
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...