A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,215
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: MODernly Vintage Hat...With Tutorial  (Read 22403 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LookToTheStars
« on: August 29, 2006 10:56:53 AM »

I made this hat for my senior prom. I know that prom isn't until April, but I was excited about making it now and I brainstormed over all of these ideas on how I would make it and had to test it out.

Here is the finished result

Here is a tutorial:

First what I did was cut out an outline on a piece of paper seeing how big or small it was. I cut out sort of an oval shape. Then I made a paste out of one part water and one part glue. There are many ways to make the paste any will do.

Next I blew up a balloon and traced around the paper I cut out with a permanent marker on the balloon.
Then I took some tore up pieces of newspaper and stuck them in my paste, but don't completely soak your newspaper just get it to where it is soaked up.

Now you will fill inside the permanent marker with the newspaper. The paste I made dried pretty fast so I was able to turn on the blow dryer on low and put multiple layers in one night. I would put about Five layers on it and then let it dry overnight.
When you are done letting it dry and it is pretty hard go ahead and peel it off of the balloon.

Next I took some stencil adhesive and sprayed the top of the paper mache then covered it with the material I bought for the hat. Let that dry for a couple of minutes and then cut off the excess.

Now that that is done go ahead and add tulle or whatever you would like to dress up the hat..

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood.

_Ralph Waldo Emerson
Inara
I am cute little bunny. I pose no threat to society

It's hard to work in groups when you're omnipotent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006 11:17:05 AM »

This is beautiful!  Very film noir.  Are you making the accompanying dress?  If so, I can hardly wait to see the finished ensemble.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sleep beckons. Also waves. Also makes threatening gestures and hops up and down until I notice. - Neil Gaiman

http://effulgentstudios.etsy.com
http://inara-knits.blogspot.com
LookToTheStars
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006 11:26:27 AM »

yeah I'm making a black corset top out of a silky like bridal type silky material stuff and then a pencil skirt out of the same stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood.

_Ralph Waldo Emerson
the___fragile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006 11:30:57 AM »

thats an awesome hat, and maybe im a bit clueless but how do you keep it on your head  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.patentpendingsmells.com
"SAVE EACHOTHER, THE WHALES ARE DOING FINE"
In Stores NOW!!
LookToTheStars
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006 11:34:44 AM »

I guess that would have been something to add in there.. I took a clip that just slides onto your hair and stays (i'll take a picture, because I have no idea what it is called) and then glued on the inside of hat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

_Ralph Waldo Emerson
gingembre
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006 11:45:19 AM »

Oooh this is fabulous and so inspiring with the tutorial!! It doesn't look too hard at all - hats for every occasion, every day of the week I say! Lol. Okay, that *may* be getting a bit carried away...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LJ
MySpace
Swap Partner Info
Just started a wist: (coming soon)

***Personal Swap Friendly!***
snowsculpture
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006 11:49:37 AM »

wow!  i love it!  great tutorial too   Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mento_bug
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006 11:51:28 AM »

your hat is amazing, i may just have to come up with an excuse to make one! your whole outfit also sounds amazing, hope all goes well
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bubba*tink

there's nuffin loik a warm cable-knit necklace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006 11:54:33 AM »

your hat is insanely beautiful...I wish I could pull hats off!  My grandma gave me a bunch of her old beautiful hats, but I kinda look ridiculous in them...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can tell you, Fall is composed of

1 part dead fish smell
1 part wet leaves
1 part arctic chilled air (not winter chilled variety)
2 parts crunchy walking
a pinch very cold rain
some apples you picked yourself
a few very still moments
a good deal of inner reflection
PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006 12:05:36 PM »

I LOVE this hat! I would love to make one of those for dressup purpose.

I think it would be fun to make one with feathers or rhinestones and other fun stuff. Has anyone used the tulle with tiny rhinestones on it? I think THAT stuff would be amazing on a hat. With some nice smoky and glittery makeup, it would make a perfect headshot for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Modernize Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes
How to Make Bagels
How to Make Buttermilk Biscuits
Stuffing Recipe with Sausage, Apple and Cranberry
Hot Dog Grilling Guide
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...