A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Seam Binding? How to use it and pictoral examples  (Read 1141 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

clovergrace
The Positive Pessimest

Sometimes when you fall, you fly.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 28, 2006 10:23:36 PM »

Okay, I tried researching this on the net, but was not sucessful. I just got a bunch of bias tape, rick rack, and seam binding off my local freecycle. I've had seam binding before, but I have just thrown it away instead of figuring out how to use it. I tried looking on google and on here to find out what exactly it is used for but to no advail. Can someone provide me with an explanation of it and with pictures so I can see how it is used? It would be much appreciated! Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vickilicious
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006 11:47:47 PM »

My mother just gave me an amazing Singer Sewing Book, so I'm stoked to be able to share what it says. I tried scanning the pages but found it lacked sufficient detail, so I'll post photos of the illustrations along with the text. You can click them to enlarge.

p. 92-93 on Bound Seams:

Open Bound Seam
Binding is an excellent finish for fabrics that tend to fray, such as tweed and heavy, coarse weaves, as well as for unlined jackets and coats....

Form a plain seam. Press the seam, then press it open. With the Binder on the machine and silk bias seam binding, bind each seam edge, using either straight stitching or an open zig-zag stitch.

To prevent seam edges from stretching or fraying in loosely woven fabrics, place a row of stitching 1/4 inch from the seam edge before applying the binding.

Net Bound Seam
Delicate fabrics that fray easily, such as chiffon velvet, and sheer metallic, may have seam edges bound with nylon net, which prevents fraying without adding bulk.

Cut the net into 1/4-inch strips and insert, unfolded, into the Binder. Feed seam edges into the Binder with napped or right side up. Stitch, using a medium-width zig-zag stitch.

Plain Bound Seam

This seam is practical for household items such as cushions, simple slipcovers, and articles made of plastic.

After stitching a plain seam, trim the seam edges to a scant 1/4 inch. Press. Insert both edges into the Binder and stitch, keeping the seam edges well into the scroll as you sew.

p. 282-283 on Using the Binder:

Binder
The Binder is used to apply commercial binding or self-fabric bias to an unfinished edge. Binding is a suitable finish for seam and hem edges that fray easily and a pretty trimming for ruffles, aprons, children's wear, curtains, and novelty items. Straight or zig-zag stitching may be used with the Binder.

Cut the binding diagonally to form a long point at the end. Insert the point in the slot in the Binder and pull it through the scroll until the evenly folded binding is under the needle. Stitch just far enough to place the stitching close to the edge. To do this, move the scroll to the right or left. Do not pull the binding as it feeds through the scroll. Do not raise the presser bar after the stitching is in the correct position.

Insert the edge to be bound as far to the right as it will go in the center scroll, and stitch.

Inside Curves are straightened as they are fed into the Binder. If the fabric is soft and has a tendency to stretch, reinforce the edge with a single row of stitching before binding.

Outside Curves tend to lead away from the scroll. Guide the fabric to the left in line with the needle so that the full seam width is taken. Do not attempt to pull or straighten the fabric into the full length of the scroll.

When rickrack braid is applied to an edge as it is bound, insert the edge and rickrack into the Binder at the same time, keeping the edges flush.

Book info (if you are interested) is:
Singer Sewing Book: The Complete Guide to Sewing (Revised Edition). Jessie Hutton & Gladys Cunningham. Golden Press, New York: 1972.

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kiwiblue
Personal Swap encouraged

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006 01:27:19 AM »

Thank you I have one of those and never used it because I was not sure how .. I'm going to give it a try now ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SEMPER IN FAECIBVS SVMVM,SOLE PROFNDVM VARIAT
clovergrace
The Positive Pessimest

Sometimes when you fall, you fly.

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006 01:01:16 PM »

Wow. Now I get it. WHat a helpful book! Thank so much! I appreciate you taking the time to give me a hand. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rum Cake Recipe
Red Velvet Brownies Recipe
Sparkling Snowflake Shortbread Recipe
Elegant Praline Rugelach Recipe
Our Easiest Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...