A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,321
Currently Running With Scissors:
709 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question: How to fit bought clothes?  (Read 463 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kell
« on: August 28, 2006 01:48:29 PM »

I gained weight this past year, being away at college for the first time.  My problem is that the weight gain wasn't even, and my chest is several sizes smaller than my hips.  So trying on shirts the other day was really horrible, as anything that fit over my hips was way too loose on top. 

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix clothes like this? Do I get the smaller size and add on for the stomach and hips, or is there any way to decrease the chest/sleeve area of a shirt? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Him: I think we've been on the same page for a while now.
Me: What if we're on the same page, but in different books?

myspace
  swap info
BabyPop
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006 01:52:04 PM »

It would be my guess that it's easier to get larger and size it down to fit you than buy something that's tight most places and let it out or add fabric. Check out the "reconstructed" thread in this forum, you will get lots of ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elphelba
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006 09:03:24 PM »

It's always easier to go a size up (since you can't really add fabric) tapering side seams and/or adding a few darts should fix the problem. How you fix it would definately depend on the kind of shirt you got, but I'm sure most things could be made to fit well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
Sophisticated Hippie
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006 03:07:25 PM »

Something else to keep in mind is that Jr clothes (odd numbers, 3-5-7-9-11-15) are going to be cut narrower in the hips than Missy sizes (even numbers, 4-6-8-10-12-14-16-18)  Any clothing that is sized with an odd number (7-8 or 9-10) is also a Jr.  If you are trying on Jr clothes you may want to try Missy sizes, the proportions may fit better.  If you find something close you can also at a slit at the hips or a curved hem if its long enough (curved like a man's shirt hem)

If you purchase any of your clothes at a better dept store you may also be able to get them to fit a top for you and then you do the alterations.  Its always easier if someone else pins it for you, well as long as they know what they are doing ;-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. ~Benjamin Franklin
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Eudon Choi: Fall 2015 Collection at London Fashion Week
10 Easy Projects for Your Makeup Station
Birthday Glam Eye Makeup Tutorial
Speedy Last Minute Party Makeup
Your Ultimate Guide to Flawless Eyebrows
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...