A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 303,936
Currently Running With Scissors:
698 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Seed stitch woes :(  (Read 609 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jenefor
« on: August 27, 2006 03:17:38 PM »

OK so I have been trying to work on the kittyville hat or at least get it going but for the life of me I can't get the seed stitch I mean I can knit some and have no issues doing the basic stitches but this is driving me bonkers.
I even moved to working on straight needles thinking maybe I would "get it" better but I must be doing something wrong. I cast on and then knit one stitch then purl a stitch and when I get to the end of the row it is just a big jumbled mess. I don't even know how I would go on to knit the next row....everything is crossed over and a mess Sad I even tried to do just a regular rib stitch but i cant do it....in theory I get it but am I missing something or doing something that is making it turn out like this? OR am I doing it right and just not getting anywhere?
I am just at a loss and am about to pull out my hair....
Any help would be GREAT! thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

djinnj
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006 03:25:42 PM »

When you bring the yarn in front to purl, are you pulling the yarn between the two needle tips or are you pulling it over the right hand needle tip?  The yarn should pass between the needles, directly over the fabric inbetween the stitches.  If you end up with a strand over the needle, you're making a yarn over, and in a k1p1 pattern it can distort your stitches.  Also, that yarn over can cause problems on the next row, leaving holes and increasing your stitch count if you work them; making your stitches uneven and larger if you drop them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mols

The Holy Grail - of sorts . . . .

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006 03:12:36 AM »

If djinnij's suggestion doesn't solve your problem, try casting on and knitting a few inches in stockinette and then practicing seed stich. I've found that trying anything new at all with in the first few rows after casting on often causes problems.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

An eye for and eye leaves the whole world blind.
jenefor
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006 09:45:55 AM »

Thanks so much for your help Smiley I was pulling the yarn around instead of between the two needles. I just couldn't figure what i was doing wrong....all the books I read said to have the yarn in the front on the P and back on the K and so I couldn't figure what I was doing wrong...but that was it.....I did a little square and it worked out fine Smiley thanks so much again....now I can move on Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kmsmaverick
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007 10:36:36 AM »

i'm sorry to revive a long old post, and also for posting this in two threads, but i have seed stitch questions too!

if i want to do a band of seed stich in my hat, (i'm just practicing the motion, not really folllowing a pattern anymore) I am knitting in the round, currently have 15 rounds of stockingette on the go.

I would like a band of some sort of texture, I tried eyelets, but they really just look like dropped stitches. so then i thought i would purl a few stitches every few stitches, but those looked shabby too. so i wonder if i can make a band of seed?

would this work?
R1: *k1, p1* repeat to end of round
R2: *p1, k1* repeat to end of round
R3-5: repeat 1 and 2.
R 6: knit.

looking at these, do you thing it would work?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Loo
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007 10:40:14 AM »

well, it really depends on the number of stitches....as long as you're knitting the purls & purling the knits, it should work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd hate to be the only funny bouncing one in the room."  -Ani Difranco

http://seelooknit.blogspot.com/
djinnj
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007 10:47:41 AM »

I would like a band of some sort of texture, I tried eyelets, but they really just look like dropped stitches. so then i thought i would purl a few stitches every few stitches, but those looked shabby too. so i wonder if i can make a band of seed?

would this work?
R1: *k1, p1* repeat to end of round
R2: *p1, k1* repeat to end of round
R3-5: repeat 1 and 2.
R 6: knit.

looking at these, do you thing it would work?

Yes, with a few caveats.
1) double check your gauge and adjust the number of stitches to compensate.  Seed is often a different gauge than stockinette (mine happens to be wider, but some people find it narrower than the same number of stitches in stockinette).

2) If you are working off of an even number of stitches (as written), the beginning and end of the row will have a little spot where you've got 2 knits or 2 purls adjacent.  It will be slightly noticeable.  The easiest way around this is to cast on an even number of stitches, work one row, and then increase 1 stitch at the end of the row (or decrease 1 stitch when you get to the last 2, but I prefer increasing).  Then, when you switch to stockinette, decrease or increase 1 to return to your original stitch count. 

Don't bother to work off of a set pattern of r1 this and r2 that.  Just  knit the purls and purl the knits.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007 10:49:18 AM by djinnj » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmsmaverick
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007 11:13:01 AM »

ok, thanks, i'll give this a go tonight and tomorrow, more news (questions) later!

thanks!
k
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Personalize Your Stuffing
How to Make Hawaiian Pulled Pork
Grilled Minas Cheese with Pesto Sauce Recipe
The Future of the New York Food Scene
How to BBQ Lamb Burgers with Mountain Gorgonzola
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...