A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,195
Currently Running With Scissors:
585 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DORMANT: Granny Square Crochetalong  (Read 16985 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lava means love.
I'm listening!

It could be worse.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 27, 2006 11:28:01 AM »

Hi!

I was wondering, would anyone be interested in participating in a granny square crochetalong?  There are so many things you can make with granny squares:

blankets with patterns/graphics
purses
skirts
jacket/vest/bolero
...so much more...

If you're interested in making anything out of granny squares (not just afghans, although those are really nice), it would be great to hear from you!

Anyone interested?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013 12:59:27 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

atla

I play with string

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006 02:00:02 PM »

Heh, I just came over to this board to see if there was a granny square crochetalong.. looks like you posted it just in time.  I'm definitely in.  I mostly knit now, but I love crocheting granny squares.. so meditative and quick.  I just got back from Wal-Mart with a big bag of Caron Simply Soft just for granny squares, cause I want a blanket.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

phoenixastarte
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006 03:27:20 PM »

Well, I've never participated in such a thing and I'm horrible about remembering to check forums... and I'm organizing a fairly large swap (34 participants) in the HarryPotterCrafts yahoo group... but seeing as I'm already working on a blanket for a babe I hope to concieve soon (if I haven't already - too early to test), I guess I'm in.  I completed a granny square blanket and layette set for my firstborn (just turned 27mo yesterday) and a special blanket that is the first blanket for each of our children to be wrapped in (and if we ever adopt, when the adoption is official we will wrap the child in the blanket at that time).  I make granny squares all the time.  I just taught a friend to make the standard granny square this past week, she might be interested also so I'll forward the link to this discussion along.

Do you want photographs of completed items and items in progress?

I also designed a square myself that has an embossed cross pattern on it for a blanket I've been working on for a friend, I'm happy to share the pattern if folks would like to try it.  It can either be made to look religious or just very geometric.  The friend is Catholic and I couldn't find any crosses I liked (especially since I'm lazy and prefer to stick to one color in my squares - makes them more portable!).

Astarte
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MysteriosGirl
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006 05:29:24 PM »

Hi there, I have never posted before, but have been a member and lurked for a while now  Smiley.

I would so love to join this! I prefer to make one huge granny square, I just keep going around until its the size I want.  I made this one, and stopped when it was about lapsize. 

Ignore the date, I had changed the battery in my camera that morning but forgot to change the date lol.

And I have 2 more I am doing, this will be good for me because one I have been working on since may 5th (I only remember because I had a doc appt that day and was there for 4 hours doing ct scans and x rays lol.), maybe this will motivate me to finish.  I will post pics of those two in progress if you want  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006 07:00:13 PM »

Sure, I'm in. Making a pillowghan, so I need 14 huge squares. I have the 2 I want for the pillow (openwork ones to show off colors) and the rest will be some form of basic solid ones. Only need 10 more or so...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
atla

I play with string

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006 08:23:35 PM »

Mysteriosgirl, that's awesome.  I've seen these done before, but I really like your color combination.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lava means love.
I'm listening!

It could be worse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006 04:36:27 PM »

Oh yay!  I'm so happy you all are interested.  The large granny square idea is great too!

So, let's just make this a progressive thing, just update us on your progress whenever its convenient, and pictures are always great!

Its so great hearing all of the inspiring ways to make and use granny squares!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MysteriosGirl
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006 08:03:40 PM »

These are my "in progress" pics. I put my cd player next to them so you get the gist of how big they are.

and

this one, after my next row of white, I am going to do light pink, then keep alternating between the 4 colors and wihite.

And thanks atla!  My mom made a blanket for a friend of hers, and I just followed the color scheme, and used a different pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shine
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006 10:47:49 AM »

several of us are working on granny squares for afghans over in this link.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=113390.0

there are a few photos of the super-jumbo-granny variety and some other hexagonal-granny pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lava means love.
I'm listening!

It could be worse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006 08:33:25 AM »

Hey, that hexagonal granny square is pretty neat: that'd make a cool geometric scarf too!

So far I've crocheted two larger granny squares (12 in squares), and about twenty smaller granny squares.  I want to make an afghan with large and small granny squares, but I'm not so sure as to the design I'll place them in.  Sorry there aren't pics as of yet: my camera isn't cooperating.  I made a computer image of something close to what I would like to make:

« Last Edit: September 02, 2006 05:58:04 PM by Lava means love. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Conrad Doucette on What a Copywriter Enjoys About His Work
Denise Kiernan on The Girls of Atomic City
Chip Ingram’s Spiritual Simplicity
A Different Side of Judas Iscariot
The Tucci Cookbook: Cooking at Home With Stanley Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...