A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
392 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: plus size dress biz  (Read 1140 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

francie pants
« on: August 27, 2006 09:24:03 AM »

okay, so for years now, i've said i was gonna start an online custom plus size clothes site.  and years go by and i flake and slack off.  i say "ohhh i'll just get a web site built"  but then never follow through on trading someone who knows how to build sites.  so my question is.... where do you girls shop or even just window shop for unique stuff in our sizes?  i've thought etsy, but etsy seems a bit flooded with stuff and i worry i'd just get lost in the throngs of hand made clothes.  i've done ebay and i reallllly am not a fan.  and i don't know how to whore out my goods on myspace to folks who don't know my work already.  helllllllp Smiley  is there some place other than here where plus size gals go to find links to shops?  i suppose if i set up etsy and just got my etsy page posted around like other mamas on craftster do, then i wouldn't be quite so lost.  hmmmmmm i seriously need to sit down and write up a business plan to get my stoner hippie ass focused.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thebagfairy
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006 04:34:23 PM »

Maybe you could use a 'combination' of sites like Fierce Kitten Studio does. She's got a website to showcase all the different designs of handbags she makes, as well as specs on custom work and a select of fabrics to choose from. Then she has a link to her etsy shop.

I can definitely see what you mean about etsy being flooded with stuff. Unless you add items daily and have a website and other connections to bring traffic to the site, then sales will be few and far between. Also, I have the itching suspicion that most etsy sellers have to keep(or feel that the must keep) their prices near those of retail goods or even lower to entice sales, which takes all the profit out of it considering the time, effort, thought and creativity that goes into making something by hand.

You could also just have a paypal cart added to your site, to avoid the etsy fees.

This is a great undertaking so don't feel bad about having to think it over, or doing things one step at a time. There's probably lots of people on this board that could mentor you about setting up a business plan, hiring someone to design a website, and keeping up with custom orders.

You can do it if you set your mind to it Smiley best of luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissWednesday

friends don't let friends drink and sew

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006 12:38:44 AM »

I have my own website in which I sell my own clothing...I tend to make bigger clothing as I am not exactly a small girl myself. So maybe if I had more of an idea of which "bigger" clothing sizes were more popular, I could cater to that better.

Any ideas anyone?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smashing in the face of a pinata that resembles Summer Wheatley is a disgrace to you, me, and the entire Gem State.
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006 03:04:00 PM »

Okay, keep in mind I am not techno-savvy. At all.
That said, misswonderful, put a link to your website at the bottom of your posts! Do it now! I look at people's etsys and shops through those links all the time! You're missing potential business, I'll bet.
FranciePants, I know I've done search engine searches for 'plus size clothes' and 'BBW' before and bought clothes from those links. I don't know how you go about setting up keywords or getting yourself on an engine, but I think trying to set those into your site woud be good. Also, like I told msw, link to your site/etsy/whatever in your posts here. That can't hurt. Also, I know there are some forums for big girls out there (I can't think of any names right now, though, sorry. Maybe try searching for BBW/plus size?) Anyway, I'd try to find them and see if they'll link to you. I think groups/engines/forums that cater to big gals would be glad to share info about your business. If they're like me, they are always looking for new sources of cute clothes. Hmmm, and you know, it couldn't hurt to put up flyers or cards at your local fabric store. Make sure 'plus-size' is prominent.
Okay, I'll stop babbling now. Hopefully some of these are ideas you can use.

Oops, that's misswednesday. Apparently I think you're wonderful!  Wink
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006 03:08:52 PM by Dragonflywer » THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
francie pants
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006 05:05:52 PM »

thank you so much for all yer good advice girls!!!!  my hubby greeted me after work with a list of things he thinks we need to cut so we can afford to stay above water... and you shoulda seen the look on my face when he said "i think we should get rid of the internet."  oh yeah.... good idea when yer also harping that i need to get my onlline biz going.   Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Japanese Inspired Hairstyles
Lela Rose Backstage Hair Trends - Fall 2009
Akiko Ogawa Backstage Hair Trends - Fall 2009
Georges Chakra Backstage Hair Trends Spring 2011 - NYFW
Gottex Backstage Hair and Makeup Trends Spring 2011 - NYFW
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...