A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,329
Currently Running With Scissors:
535 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Amethyst fork bracelet  (Read 21088 times)
Tags for this thread: amethyst , fork , bracelet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2006 04:10:15 AM »

After much hammering & bending...the final result.  The amethyst is held in by a prong, but also E6000'd because I'm a paranoid little crafter.  Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

**Entry period extended to May 20!** From concerts to musicals and more, what events inspire YOU?  Craft and enter for a chance to win a chunk of over $500 in prizes!
christinaX
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006 03:21:33 PM »

That is really neat-o!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006 05:28:57 PM »

That is really neat-o!!!

Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**Entry period extended to May 20!** From concerts to musicals and more, what events inspire YOU?  Craft and enter for a chance to win a chunk of over $500 in prizes!
life_of_infamy56
Janet! Dr.Scott! Janet! Brad! Rocky!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006 09:15:49 AM »

wow I never thought that fork bracelets could be elegant but you pulled it off. it's so pretty =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The sky is blue and righteous in every direction. The sun is total and burning and just there in front. We're on top of the clouds and this is a beautiful day forever. -Chuck Palahniuk, Survivor
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006 09:22:32 AM »

wow I never thought that fork bracelets could be elegant but you pulled it off. it's so pretty =]

Thanks so much!

I dremeled the top surface to give it some funky shiny texture... I think that helped a lil' bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

d
princesshammerhead

Treat people how you like to be treated!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006 07:53:01 PM »

That is 'forkin' fabulous!!  I have heated and bent forks in my husband's work shop wood stove but never thought of adding stones. I did see one where glass beads are added to the tines before heating and they were pretty cool, but yours is the best I've seen so far. Nice work, share more photos. d Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If only closed minds came with closed mouths!

If the world is getting smaller, why do postage rates keep going up?

http://princesshammerhead.blogspot.com/

Personal swap anyone?
iamthe_disco
∙_∙ + ♪ = ♥

She's always making me dream corruptions!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006 08:24:50 PM »

omgosh!

that's beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Something about Dan Young and Hayley Williams in my closet.
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006 09:47:30 AM »

Thank you so much d & iamthe_disco!   Cheesy

LOL.... forkin' fabulous!  I am jealous that you had means to heat & bend.  I bet that a much easier process.  Sad  I'm a bit afraid to try introducing heat to the process.  Torch, oven, what?  What did you do?

Ohhh... glass beads to the tines before heating!  How would they adhere I wonder?  So many ideas!  I went to the antique mall and found some thinner pieces of silverware to work with.  Unfortunately, this one was quite thick!

Thanks again for the giggles & compliments.  I do have some more photos, I'll hunt them down.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SonjaBoo

Bring it on

Napper extraordinaire

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006 09:58:02 AM »

sweets4ever, that bracelet is gorgeous-- but the see-through plastic hand just tops it off!  lol  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006 10:25:41 AM »

sweets4ever, that bracelet is gorgeous-- but the see-through plastic hand just tops it off!  lol  Wink

LOL!

Wait.  What?  That's my hand!  I don't get much sun these days.   Cheesy

Actually...it's a glass hand!  I bought it at a little shop a few years ago & have used it as a ring/jewelry holder until I started getting into photography.  Now the poor thing never gets a break.  Cheesy  It's a little small in comparison to a real hand...but I still like it as a prop.  It's so weird.  ha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006 03:49:20 PM »

Nice work, share more photos. d Cool

Here's one.  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Velour
Lady of the Scissors

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006 04:01:26 PM »

Oh I love it! And I know my mom would too, and her b-days coming up...  Wink

What did you use to bend it? Pliers? And was it one of those cheapo-malleable forks, or real strong?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nothing is craftier than a story Smiley http://writwratwrote.wordpress.com/
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006 04:06:52 PM »

Oh I love it! And I know my mom would too, and her b-days coming up...  Wink

What did you use to bend it? Pliers? And was it one of those cheapo-malleable forks, or real strong?

I used pliers, a copper pipe & a hammer.  I'm sure it would be better to use a vice though.  I couldn't find ours.  Sad  Careful when you are bending - if you don't cover it with something (a washcloth or something) you will leave nicks in the metal that can be very sharp.  I used the dremel to remove those.

Unfortunately, it was a strong fork...straight from the kitchen drawer.  I created it on a whim for a swap partner.  Since I made it I've become a bit crazy over it and bought silverware exclusively for my bending habits.  Wink  Some antique silverware as well as "grocery store" silverware seems to be quite thin and easier to work with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

d
princesshammerhead

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006 08:11:26 PM »

Thank you so much d & iamthe_disco!   Cheesy

LOL.... forkin' fabulous!  I am jealous that you had means to heat & bend.  I bet that a much easier process.  Sad  I'm a bit afraid to try introducing heat to the process.  Torch, oven, what?  What did you do?

Ohhh... glass beads to the tines before heating!  How would they adhere I wonder?  So many ideas!  I went to the antique mall and found some thinner pieces of silverware to work with.  Unfortunately, this one was quite thick!

Thanks again for the giggles & compliments.  I do have some more photos, I'll hunt them down.  Smiley

Well for me this is a winter craft. Since it is way too hot to put on the wood stove. But what I do is this: Get the fire to about a four inch flame height. Now, hubbby's stove has a door on the side as well as the grate on the front. So I can hold the fork in the side door and watch through the front.  Holding the fork with bbq tongs, I hold it in the flame, not above. this allows it to heat evenly.(learned that the hard way Huh) When the fork begins to bend on it's own, you will see it physically droop. With gloves on, I put the fork on the bench and start to shape. I bend the tines with plyers. Now, it does cool quite quickly and the plyers do leave marks so back into the fire. When it droops again I throw it on the bench and do a final shaping. No plyers unless you like that look. Btw: i use only silver forks, because it is so soft and goes more quicklt. 8)d
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap anyone?
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006 08:16:23 PM »

Wow, thank you so much for describing your process!  Back when I was little, my parents had just the type of stove I would need.  Hrm.

It sound so much easier than my process.  Sad  I suppose mine is a good forearm workout, though...hehe.

Where to build a fire...where to build a fire...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

d
princesshammerhead

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006 08:30:45 PM »

Have hubby outside right now heating a fork with a torch. Not to make anything pretty, just to see if a torch will provide the same pliability. I let you know how that turns out. 8)d
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap anyone?
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006 08:33:50 PM »

Have hubby outside right now heating a fork with a torch. Not to make anything pretty, just to see if a torch will provide the same pliability. I let you know how that turns out. 8)d

You're the best Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

d
princesshammerhead

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006 09:25:26 PM »

Ok, this is what I have learned about torches and forks. Torches can be more localised on a certain area of the fork. So you can bend a certain area and have the rest remain the same. If you want to keep the original 'silverware pattern' on the end, It doesn't become soft. Also for the tines, hubby was able to get 5 curls out of one tine by heating and curling at the same time. Yes 5! So we got creative, added a glass bead and heated away. Woo Hoo!Melting the bead while on the tine, getting the shape we wanted and plunging into cold water (his idea) It just 'froze' there. too cool. hubby says this winter he will be mad that I'm not sitting in the shop heating forks while he does his wood work. I will be sitting in the living room watching CSI and torching forks on the commercials. This is a great creative process! 8)d
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap anyone?
klemmydia
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2006 09:33:26 PM »

i thought the clear thing at first was a big fork...
and you had a miniature metal fork.
i had to read comments to figure it out.
[i'm sleepy.]
but, i really like this. [amethyst is also my birthstone, but tha's not the only reason i lik eit.]
i love the idea witha prong. :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2006 10:12:31 PM »

d, I'll be torching tomorrow!!  Thank you for so many details!!  I am so excited... FIVE curls!   Shocked  I broke a few of my ends of from bending them so much!  And the glass beads..oh my goodness.

Thanks, klemmydia!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

d
princesshammerhead

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2006 10:31:01 PM »

d, I'll be torching tomorrow!!  Thank you for so many details!!  I am so excited... FIVE curls!   Shocked  I broke a few of my ends of from bending them so much!  And the glass beads..oh my goodness.

Thanks, klemmydia!

No, I thank you! I would have never played with forks so 'early in the season!" I just read a site where, when you bbq a steak, put a fork on the top rack and if you like your steak well done the fork is pliable enough to work with! Who knew! I'd rather eat the steak first! Wink by then the fork would be cold ???d Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap anyone?
d
princesshammerhead

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2006 09:30:33 PM »

So, sweets, how are you making out? I have recently found some Corelle flatware, it has a plastic handle. Once you break off that handle you are left with just enough metal to curl over for pendants. Saves that one step of bending off the handle.Now what to do with the handles?  8)d
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap anyone?
JuliannaMKH
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2006 08:59:28 AM »

Very cool.  I've seen spoon bracelets before, but never a fork one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2006 08:16:17 AM »

So, sweets, how are you making out? I have recently found some Corelle flatware, it has a plastic handle. Once you break off that handle you are left with just enough metal to curl over for pendants. Saves that one step of bending off the handle.Now what to do with the handles?  8)d

I don't have anything wonderful to post yet.  I've been experimenting with a few things though!  Smiley  I get easily distracted by shiny objects, so I have about a dozen projects going at once...hehe.

Where did you purchase your Corelle flatware?  Did you get a good deal?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.tiaraly.
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2006 06:48:33 PM »

So so beautiful. My favourite part is probobly where it goes all twirly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2006 06:49:37 PM »

So so beautiful. My favourite part is probobly where it goes all twirly.

Thank you so much!  Smiley   I gave it away in a swap angel package, so I'm glad I took lots of pictures.  I'm a pictureholic. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

talmina
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2006 03:38:09 AM »

Thats just gorgeous!  Really it is!  I just love the idea of using a stone in there like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2006 10:51:01 AM »

Thats just gorgeous!  Really it is!  I just love the idea of using a stone in there like that.

Thanks so much!  Smiley

I think it added color and turned it into an entirely new piece with the stone... and it was fun - blisters & all!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

morbid
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2006 09:58:10 PM »

oh my word how did you bend that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wist: http://www.wists.com/asylumchild
will do personal trades. :]
my etsy!: www.Toriscreation.etsy.com
please check it out.. thank you.
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2006 04:02:00 AM »

oh my word how did you bend that?

hehe!  I used a hammer to completely flatten the tines, then I just used a copper pipe sort of as a mold to bend around and some good old pliers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

morbid
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2006 08:15:05 AM »

thats amazing hun great work :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wist: http://www.wists.com/asylumchild
will do personal trades. :]
my etsy!: www.Toriscreation.etsy.com
please check it out.. thank you.
Sindy
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2006 08:54:56 AM »

Amazing!  You did a fabulous job -- it's gorgeous!  (can you tell I really liked it? lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2006 09:16:13 AM »

thats amazing hun great work :]

Thanks so much!  Smiley

Amazing!  You did a fabulous job -- it's gorgeous!  (can you tell I really liked it? lol)

So what you're saying is...

lol!

Thanks much!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DoppelgangerXLove
Be my friend! I'll introduce you to the voices in my head!!! YAY!!!

les voix dans ma tte n'aiment pas chaque autre...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2006 05:37:55 AM »

amazing! Isn't that hard to make, though? How long did it take? How do you bend a fork?HuhHuh?!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2006 04:56:44 AM »

amazing! Isn't that hard to make, though? How long did it take? How do you bend a fork?HuhHuh?!!!!!

Thanks!

I hammered it entirely flat and then used a pair of vice grips and gloves and just kept bending, bending until I was happy!  I pliers for the tines... Smiley

I'm not sure how long it took though.  Sad  Seemed like forever, but I'd venture to say not more than 3 hours?  I don't know though...I had to take a break because it was hurting my little paws, lol.  I was really picky about leaving marks on it & it being polished and such, so I think I took longer than necessary but I was happy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loonylark
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2006 01:56:29 PM »

Wow, you have every right to be happy. Awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2006 02:37:46 PM »

Wow, you have every right to be happy. Awesome job!

Thanks so much!  Smiley  I gave it away to someone who needed a swap angel, but I was happy to do so.  I hope she is happy with it, too.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make Your Very Own DIY Confetti Launcher
How to Make Fabric Covered Flower Pots
Leo Bites
Marcus Bites
How To Make Crafty Tile Coasters
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...