A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,609
Currently Running With Scissors:
480 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My *new* garage sale sewing machine  (Read 851 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rowdygirl
« on: August 26, 2006 08:18:24 PM »

I got this machine at a garage sale for $5 because the machine I was using broke. I was wondering if anyone could help me find a manual for it. I've figured out the basics, but I would like to know how the bobbin winder works.  Thanks!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
scribble.boutique
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006 08:47:07 PM »

Hi

I don't have a manual nor the same machine...BUT....I have an older machine that looks very similar. As for winding all you do is set up the thread and the bobin like you normally would then you see on the top right hand side...You stick the bobbin on there and then press that silver metal part down then you should be ready to go. When you're done lift the smaller silver part (the one that goes over the bobbin up.

(I hope that all made sense to you)

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paroper
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006 09:46:36 AM »

It is a little hard to see the bobbin portion of your machine.  Most of these machines that have the bobbin spindle parallel to the machine have a drive wheel attached to that spindle.  You should have a center portion of the hand wheel on the right end of the machine.  It is quite often a different color than silver, usually plastic, the color of the machine and may have little ridges flat around the outside edge of that center for girpping.  Holding the hand wheel to keep it from turning, turn that center plate to loosen it.  This disengages your needle to keep it  from going up and down.  Place your bobbin on the spindle and move the wheel so that it touches the hand wheel.  When the hand wheel turns it will wind your bobbin.  Usually this just flips up (sometimes down).  What I cannot see is where your thread goes to wind the bobbin.  Often you put your spool on the machine thread spindle and then there is a hook or a round guide near the front of the machine, sometimes off to one side.  There is something on the left side that could be it but I don't think that is just part of your thread guide system.  Anyway, look for some sort of hook or somthing going straight across the head of the machine, to the right side more toward the bobbin.  There is usually a hook system on the base or near to the base of the machine.  It is usually "s" shaped.  The thread is hooked into the lower portion of that hook and then the upper and brought up to the spool spindle where you thread it from the inside into the bobbin  and hold until your bobbin is wound.  This machine will probably not automatically cut off when your bobbin is full so you'll need to watch that you do not overfill the bobbin thread.  When you are through, bring the bobbin spind back into position and tighten the hand wheel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rowdygirl
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006 03:09:32 PM »

This is the best I could figure out, but it doesn't seem right, because then the bobbin rides on the belt that connects the hand wheel to the motor and that seems like it might break it.

The thing in the red circle is what I slipped the bobbin onto and it doesn't seem like it sits very well there.

Here are some more pictures that might help you understand how this thing's made.

Here's a photo of how the thread loops down from the top and back up to the bobbin winding area.

paroper, you were totally right about the center part of the handwheel disabling the needle, I don't think I would have ever figured that out on my own. Any other advice you might have based on my new photos would be great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paroper
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006 05:57:30 PM »

Your bobbin is not threading evenly.  At the bottom of the machine, where you put the thead around the gear, put it around backwards.  That will take care of the tension on your bobbin and make it thread evenly. 

If you look at the side of your hand wheel, the wrong thing is riding on the wheel.  There are marks where something else has wound and left marks...see it?  I think that you are missing a part of the wheel that is supposed to wind your bobbin.  Check that little grey part or putty looking piece that looks to have a piece out of it and see if it will ride on that part of the hand wheel.  Sometimes you push these up and sometimes you push them down.  Usually we see the bobbin on a spindle that faces side ways toward the machine but it may very well be that your particular brand puts the bobbin on the same side as the mot

or.  I can see where it might be easier to thread that way.  You may have it all exactly right up instead of pushing down you may need to push up. 

I'd take the bobbin off and push up and try it, then push down and try it and see what happens.  I don't think that you have any parts exactly missing but often the part that goes against the wheel is like a large hard rubber button.  The side of the button rides against the wheel and it rides against something that turns the bobbin or it touches the bobbin and turns it too...as the big wheel turns the little wheel, the little wheel turns the bobbin or the spindle and it threads the bobbin.  The shields are to keep little fingers from getting burned by the motion of the wheels. 

Here is a place that has your manual but it is CLOSED FOR
 THE SUMMER???

http://www.sewwhat.net/millie/H.sm_manualsCOPIES.htm

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 10/10
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 7/10
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 4/10
How to Crochet a Jagged Chevron Part 2/5
How to Crochet a Jagged Chevron Part 3/5
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...