A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DORMANT: Brimmed Hat Crochetalong (w/pattern links)  (Read 16922 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BrightEyes_PR
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006 04:48:05 PM »

I like this!!  I'm a little Dee Dee Dee tho.  It says ya need a skein of 4-ply yarn (worsted weight).  I get the 4ply but....4oz? 6oz?  See I crochet but I hardly ever do patterns as they are and just go with whatever I got.  But this time, I wanna do it right.  Is this like a one size?  My head's not big, but I have problems with my hair.   Grin  Sometimes I feel like I should use one of those straps....a chin strap? to keep the hat from popping off. LMFAO
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for my 360 theme!!  http://my360theme.com/theme_detail.php?id=219

I never have an idle day,
New ideas come my way.
Don't know yet what I'll create,
But my imagination's great!
spunkyPOPmonkey
Why so blue panda bear?

Get up, dress up, show up, and don't give up.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006 07:15:18 AM »

lol BrightEyes_PR, chin strap? that sounds like an idea... when i made this i used caron simply soft and i am not that great with knowing the weight but i am going to guess you'll around 6oz or more... if i am off someone correct me.
Or you could just go get a skein of simply soft, at walmart it's 2.07 and they have tons of colors and they have some smaller skeins of christmas colors out at some places (i saw at joanns) so whatever color you fancy i'm sure they have it.

also i finally got my couple of pics on the first hat. To me it looks more like a train conductor hat than a beret like they say, but i don't wear berets like berets, haha Tongue i wear it more pulled down on my head

http://static.flickr.com/89/236844195_d5ff849274.jpg?v=0
http://static.flickr.com/86/236844196_7fe76a3c54.jpg?v=0
http://static.flickr.com/80/236844197_00915206e0.jpg?v=0

i did an extra round (10 hdc between) so i decreased an extra round and i did 3 sc rows around the brim. I think if i make it again i will make it less 'beret' like perhaps not increase so flatly and not decrease as slantedly, let it take a few extra rounds. i think then it would come out more like a rasta with a bill... which i do like the size of btw (the bill)  but i think i will change it just a little to close up differently.

how does everyone else feel about theirs?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013 02:06:56 PM by pinkleo - Reason: non-working pic(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

BrightEyes_PR
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006 08:26:16 AM »

THANX!!  I got this yarn, which isn't all that soft (acrylic so what'd I expect?)  But it's that I went to Walmart (LOOOOOOOOOOOVE WALMART) and I loved it!!  So, I've read here about dipping in shampoo & conditioner but they mentioned wool yarn so ya think it would work the same on acrylic?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

New ideas come my way.
spunkyPOPmonkey
Why so blue panda bear?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006 09:18:04 AM »

uumm i dunno, i pick my yarns based on how soft they are first and then price (even though i still have to get the lowest price one) i absolutely that caron simply soft is soft and it's so cheap. i think i read somewhere on here to brush it with a brush then wash it? i dunno i've never had a need to try it, but it seems like it would work.

(edited for a typo... grrr typos)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006 01:06:31 PM by spunkyPOPmonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

BrightEyes_PR
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006 09:54:40 AM »

ummmm....I may not risk it then...oh damn....I guess I'll have to find a way to get to Walmart this weekend.    Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

New ideas come my way.
padray
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2006 12:54:02 AM »

If you can find a color you like, you can always try a yarn meant for babies.  Well, a yarn meant for making things for babies, anyway. Cheesy

I just wish they'd make a black baby yarn.  People still think babies can't wear black?  Lots of parents like black, ya know.  I know a few... (my tiny tirade is over, thank you for listening!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
albarinos
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2006 08:49:07 AM »

If you can find a color you like, you can always try a yarn meant for babies.  Well, a yarn meant for making things for babies, anyway. Cheesy

I just wish they'd make a black baby yarn.  People still think babies can't wear black?  Lots of parents like black, ya know.  I know a few... (my tiny tirade is over, thank you for listening!)

actually, I just bought pitch black baby yarn (I'm malking myself stockings for winter!). But it's a norwegian brand...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spunkyPOPmonkey
Why so blue panda bear?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2006 10:38:34 AM »

I like black too you know there is a yarn thats on clearance at micheals (well my micheals anyway, and i looked online i think the yarn was discontinued or something) but it's the softest thing i have ever felt it's like the softest cat fur you've ever touched. anyways it's called chichi or chacha by Moda Dea and they have black... the ones that i picked up are actually black,tan, and white verigated actually look like a cat too lol but i'm not using them for a hat.

they were originally around 6$ they were marked to 3$ now they are 1$ so it's worth a look.

and they have a black simply soft is what i would use for baby stuff lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2006 02:55:29 PM »

THANX!!  I got this yarn, which isn't all that soft (acrylic so what'd I expect?)  But it's that I went to Walmart (LOOOOOOOOOOOVE WALMART) and I loved it!!  So, I've read here about dipping in shampoo & conditioner but they mentioned wool yarn so ya think it would work the same on acrylic?

Problematic, I think; shampoo and conditioner work on wool because is has follicles like any other hair. I suspect that it would just make acrylic slimy... On the other hand, people use fabric softeners on synthetics, don't they? Maybe a dose of Downey would be okay.... Huh   Undecided Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
BrightEyes_PR
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2006 10:36:45 PM »

Yea, I'll try the softener.
The night didn't go as I wanted it to and I felt kinda bad so I got started on it just to be busy.  The yarn is variegated though, so I don't think the swirls will be very noticeable Undecided.  I just started though, so I'll see how it goes.  But truthfully, I feel so shitty Embarrassed I don't even wanna crochet. Shocked  Hopefully I'll finish it this weekend or at least by Monday night.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

New ideas come my way.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Domestic Dog
How to Draw a Domestic Cat
How to Use an Airbrush
How to Choose a Paintbrush
How to Create a Flip Book
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...