A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
354 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: big picture  (Read 876 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

marabu
« on: August 26, 2006 07:38:59 AM »

hi.

so I'm hopefully moving out soon, into a new room, and to have something to do till then I want to paint a big picture. Now my room is overloaded with posters and pictures and whatnot so in my new room I just want to have this one big picture.

I found this photo of a room in flickr, and I absolutely love it. But I don't want to have Audrey Hepburn in my room, I just don't like her portrait of woman in films, as much as I like her style.

http://static.flickr.com/44/207355733_4936e09a3b.jpg?v=0

So, I considered Katherine Hepburn, but it's hard to make a stencil of her photos where you can still recognize her.

So. My question is kinda weird but what persons would you consider "printable"... I don't want to have the usual suspects like john lennon, che oder ghandi or marilyn monroe... just some suggestions because my brain refused to give me good candidates Smiley
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006 09:27:50 AM by krazigal72 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmc_aust

Wandering in the wilderness, I realised I was LOST

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006 09:26:13 AM »

Mother Theresa?
Elmo?
Alice (from Alice in Wonderland)?
A classical composer?
Joan of Arc?
Elizabeth I?

I'm trying to think of inspiring female figures mostly, but I think any of them would be good.  Except the composers may be a little hard to figure out unless you label them or something.  Same with Joan of Arc (if you can find a picture of her!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I support Breast Cancer Awareness.  Do you?

Ravelry
Blog
Wist
Ayn
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006 10:56:54 AM »

Speaking merely as one who lived through the A. Hepburn era (as well as quite a bit of K. Hepburn's plus all of Marilyn's) ...

I think Audrey would be a great idea.  Even if only as a style icon or influence, which she definitely was. Still is, as a matter of fact -- well,  until/unless the nouveau-boho trend takes hold with a vengeance and kicks the recent 'ladylike' trends into total yesterday.

Look at it this way --
If by chance you chose a Marilyn image, for example (aside from the fact that it might be overdone/overused as an eral icon) :
Would you necessarily approve of all/any of 'her' screen portrayals or screen images as an 'actual female role model' either...? 
Few of us females did, even back in the day. Nor even Audrey's. As for Katherine... hmm,well, in some ways that might possibly be a different matter.

As pure decoration, or just as 'representative' of some particular era or some particular film style, there's nothing wrong with any of those three. For a genuine female role model -- just me personally, I think I'd look somewhere other than Hollywood, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marabu
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006 05:51:13 AM »

thanks for the suggestions! They are great.

And Ayn: My consideration is, that if I hang a picture of just one person in my room, I am sort of "iconize" her (if that is a word), so I have to agree with her fully.

And I really agree with you for looking somewhere other than Hollywood, I wasn't restricting myself to it, I'm just looking for someone to put on my wall (as dumb as this sounds)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

arimethia
The likes of you

Look out, Portland. I'm so indie.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006 03:54:30 PM »

You could do pictures of your family. Mess with the threshold and it will create that look of the Ikea Audrey print.

Also other ideas:
Yourself in profile (Although this may seem narcissistic, it could look cool)
Your mother or grandmother (a la old photograph)
Frank Sinatra (Personally, I would probably do this, I know he was a bad person but that voice, it can't be helped)
A pet or some other animal that you like (zebras look good this way)
Yourself as a baby
Bjork
Deborah Harry (Blondie)
David Bowie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gloing
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006 11:52:42 AM »

is there someone you like enough to "iconize"?
in music,politic, art, literature?
or a unreal character ?
something ironic/funny?
like a comic character , perhaps in some unusual/ fun surounding?
you could take some well known artwork and fit someone else in, like miss piggy as venus in botticellis picture.(bad example)
or do 4 small pics and do the beatles or some other band.

without long thinking, i would choose Indiana Jones (recognizable+cool), or some character from one of my favorite books (probably discworld) or my dog  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Spiderbite

Write your fears in here, my dear...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006 12:26:28 PM »

I think one of the keys in this is to find an iconic image. the image of audrey hepburn you showed is a very famous picture. I would say just pick someone who you particularly like and then find the most iconic picture of them and that would work. It won't have to look exactly like them because the fact that the image is so recognized, will carry it through. For example, the image you showed us of audrey hepburn is boiled down to nothing but black and white without gray tones, but we can still tell who it is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check my etsy site for GLOW-in-the-Dark Nightmare Snatcher journals and miniature Worry-Woolie notebooks:
http://spiderbite.etsy.com

Likewise please check Weirdling Works the Etsy shop for my collaborative work with my father, in illustration and writing:
http://weirdlingworks.etsy.com
Gette13
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006 04:17:29 PM »

Marabu:  I love the idea of doing someone original to 'iconize'.  Someone under valued, even, or less recognizable to date.  I like the idea of a women best - seems less like infatuation, and more like appreciation... Smiley 

My suggestions: 
Amelia Earhart
one of the Bronte sisters
Billie Holiday
Vivien Leigh
Faye Dunaway
Lauren Bacall (especially like her - at any age)
Anais Nin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Be bold.  If you are going to make an error, make a doozy, and don't be afraid to hit the ball."  Billie Jean King
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Featured Blogger: Olivia Lopez of Lustt For Life
Slip Into Spring With These Must-Have Leather Jackets
Kirsten Dunst Is the First to Wear Proenza Schouler Fall 2013
Street Chic: Smart and Casual Office Attire
4 Ways to Refresh Your Denim For Spring and Summer
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...