A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,548
Currently Running With Scissors:
746 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Starching fabric over old wallpaper?  (Read 763 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LionMine
« on: August 25, 2006 08:29:04 AM »

We rent, and our dining room has hideous old blue wallpaper, but only on the lower half.  The upper half is stark white with no paint prospects in sight, and the floor is dark, dark wood.  It looks horrible, and I was thinking of starching fabric to put up over the wallpaper, but I can't ruin the wallpaper.  Has anyone ever tried this before, or does anyone suspect this will do anything besides leave a sticky residue? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rose Red - in which I write about my life as an amateur crafter.
Ayn
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006 09:57:20 AM »

Hi there! Never tried the starch technique on anything, myself, but ... I'm thinking the whole point of using starch is that it's water-soluble thus any residue is (theoretically) fairly easy to wipe off.

But... I'm also thinking that whether the process (putting up then removing the cloth & getting off any residue) would negatively affect or would even work on existing wallpaper might depend on 'what kind' of wallpaper it is :: Thin/paper-y? Thick/vinyl-y? Flat/textured? Washable? or at least reasonably damp-wipe-able? 
[[Also possibly what condition it's in.. any scrapes, slits, punctures through which water/dampness might penetrate? ]]

Anyway, maybe you could find something as close to the stuff as possible -- hopefully something really cheap -- buy as little of it as humanly possible, and do a few little.. er.. 'off-the-wall' experiments with some cheap cloth & some starch.

One other possibility, if you haven't already tried it, is to ask the landlord if you please please please may put up new wallpaper. Believe it or not that does occasionally work -- especially if you offer to show him/her a few samples ('all' of which, of course, 'you' really like) & let her/him help choose one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LionMine
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006 12:34:31 PM »

Well, the wallpaper is thin, old, but firmly stuck to the walls and intact.  I've never put up/taken down  wallpaper before, and am somewhat apprehensive about the process and the price.  The walls underneath are really bumpy too, it's weird - like acne or something. 
You're right, I should test an inconspicuous area or something...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rose Red - in which I write about my life as an amateur crafter.
Nerfernie
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006 11:44:53 AM »

I did the starch thing in one of my rooms. It worked great, but it did leave a little color behind. It came off just fine with a Magic Erasers, but I think you can only uses that on white walls. I don't know if the color residue was a result of the starch or the fact that I used cheap fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Stylist Tips For Your Next Hair Cut
Bohemian Hairstyles at the Mara Hoffman Fall 2012 Fashion Show
How to Make a Natural Mask for Dry Hair
Carolina Herrera Fall 2012 Backstage Hairstyling
Tracy Reese Fall 2012 Backstage Hairstyling
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...