A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: gift for asian hosts... culture experts help help HELP!  (Read 482 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RachOfTheJungle
« on: August 25, 2006 07:54:41 AM »

I am going to China with a friend of mine. His grandparents and parents have done a lot to see to our trip, and are giving my friend spending money to pay our way around China for 2 weeks. I leave Monday and will have a 12 hour flight plus layovers to do this stuff.

I would like to give them an appropriate gift. I can't afford too much because I am still a student, I feel like if I bought something it would seem cheesy and cheap to them.

So, I'm gonna *get crafty*

I have read up on it (since my friend has been no help!) and found that gifts representative of your hometown or homeland are acceptable and appreciated. Here are the people and some tentative ideas:

Grandma (China born and raised)- an embroidered scarf, with an image of a Luna moth (native to the US, really beautiful)

Grandpa (same)- Huh

Uncle (same)- Huh

Mom (born in China, lives in US)- something like grandma?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

I will buy something if that is a solution, as long as it's not too much.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for any input.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rockin' knitting shirts I designed:

http://www.cafepress.com/stitchnsnitch
RaverZombiez
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006 01:12:32 PM »

Do they speak fluent English? If not get one of those nifty Translator guides for them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
white trash hero
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006 01:21:11 PM »

grandpa- might like maybe a nice case for his razors/pipes/ciggerette case (depends on whatever) err my grandad reads alot so maybe if he does a book cover for the book hes reading and a matching book mark in a gorgous fabric?
Uncle- how old is the uncle because i think this might be important, not sure. Maybe you could do him something simlar to the grandpas pressie. You can usually get a nice razor set for pretty cheap, infact we have a lovely silver plated travel razor set in my jewelry shop, if you want i could see how much they are etc and give you discount? Then you could craft a nice cover liek an embroidered material case to cover the silver box? just an idea?

Moms are a lil easier, so maybe handpainted plate set, framed embroidery, bag, scarf, handmade jewelry? with jewelry you could pick colours or stones that would suit her?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006 01:24:46 PM »

Maybe a nice handmade scrapbook of your hometown? Local foods like jam or candy that will travel well (depends what's local for you...no fresh foods though for airport reasons).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Supervillain Origins: Carnage
Learn About Spiderman Comic Books
A Guide to the World of Batman
A Guide to Indie Comic Books
Todd McFarlane Interview
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...