A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,139
Currently Running With Scissors:
443 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Suggestions for making Monsters Inc. Mike???  (Read 2514 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

emt95348
« on: August 25, 2006 07:30:09 AM »

So my little boy, who is 2 was going to be a pirate. I bought the coolest fabric and everything. But he really likes Monsters Inc. And my dh who NEVER dresses up says that if I make him a costume he will dress up with the kids....so I am taking this opportunity to be amusing Smiley I am making him a Sully costume and I want to make my baby Mike. Now I can get fur for sully's costume, but since Mike is rather circular do you wondeful ladies have any suggestions on how to construct this costume?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A husband is someone who, after taking the trash out, gives the impression that he just cleaned the whole house.
rachel.in.rainbows
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006 09:14:55 AM »

I have two suggestions but neither of them are very good.

Suggestion One: Use some old coathangers to make a wire frame.

Suggestion Two: See if you can find one of those infamous pumpkin costumes and take a look at what they did. 

Sorry this isn't much help, but it's a tough project.  Best of luck with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emt95348
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006 01:10:02 PM »

thanks! i wonder if boning would work instead of the wire hangers? i am just concerned about them poking my son. this will definitely be interesting to say the least Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A husband is someone who, after taking the trash out, gives the impression that he just cleaned the whole house.
Star
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006 11:41:59 AM »

Did ya ever make a set of Maracas(shakers for music) with a balloon?
Perhaps,purchases one of those large kids rubber ball and make some paste and glue newspaper all over it.Now either you will have to pop the ball afterwards..or leave the spot open where the "air up" hole is and try to deflat it and air it up after the fact.Typically the balls are about $2.50-$3.00 at stores like Walmart...Target.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006 12:10:50 PM »

Or, see if you can get a ball the right size, like the thick plastic ones that they always have in those giant cages in the center aisles.  If the diameter is the distance from his... crotch... to the top of his head, it would be perfect.  Cut a large hole where his legs can come put, and arm holes, and his face can go where mike's one eye would be... put him in a green turtle neck and pants (gotta keep warm) or maybe even a hoodie... make sure the ball is the right color, or paint it... that'd be so simple and probably really cheap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
emt95348
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006 10:37:11 PM »

you guys are brilliant!!!! thanks a bunch! i am really anxious to get started on this now! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dayzi

Proud momma of 2 Boston Terriers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006 07:05:29 AM »

I ;ove the ball idea, but I have another suggestion. What about approaching making a Mike costume as if you were making an M&M costume, I've seen patterns for the M&M guys. You could just modify the pattern to look like Mike.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dana_M_S
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006 09:41:08 AM »

Wow - my 3 year-old did the SAME thing!  He turned 3 in September and we had a Pirate party and I made him a pirate costume so we were all going to be pirates for Halloween.  Yesterday he says, out of the blue "I want to be Monster's Inc. for halloween."  Of course, he wants to be BOTH Sully and Mike, so I'm planning to get him a  Sully costume and make a Mike treat bag from one of those plastic pumpkins painted green with arms and legs attached.

I found costumes on eBay - I'm hoping to win a Sully one because I think making it would be hard.  Where did you get the fabric for the Sully costume?

BTW I love the family costumes - my hubby won't play along with this one, although he usually does so I can't complain.  Be sure to post a photo with you guys all dressed up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006 09:49:45 AM »

ok  my  thought  was a  hoop  from a  pair of  clown pants  or  from a  girls old time  dress..........  or  a  tire  from a  ten speen bike?Huh   all flexible  but  no  poking!  I still have the  dryer vent  scar  from when I was 8 and going as a robot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Dana_M_S
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006 10:16:04 AM »

I've been looking at a LOT of Mike costumes looking for the Sully costume (which I won on eBay - and then my son decides he wants to be Boo). 

Anyway,  my son was a dinosaur when he was 1 and the costume was very round.  I would go with kind of a pumpkin look - a tunic kind of outfit that is stuffed around the middle with Mike's face on the front.  Your son could wear a green shirt and pants. 

Here's one of the costumes I found: http://www.orientaltrading.com/application?origin=page.jsp&namespace=browse&event=link.itemDetails&categoryId=342679&sku=25/3105&BP=7106&cm_mmc=Google-_-Halloween%20Costumes%202006-_-Monsters%20Inc%20Mike-_-monsters%20mike%20costume

This one has a "candy catcher" in the front, but you could make it more round.  I would stear clear of anything hard - a 2 year old needs to move around.

Good luck!  I can't wait to see it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Makeup & Go: Weekend Getaway
Learn to Create the Perfect Retro Cat-Eye from Glamour’s 1965 Cover
Kim Kardashian Gorgeous in Five Steps
Best Bikini Line Treatments
Easy Tips for Larger Looking Eyes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...