A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,175
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First time using dpns and a few questions...  (Read 740 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

soozeq
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006 09:50:36 AM »

Is long tail cast on the same as double cast on?? Knittinghelp said it was good for ribbing?

I think they're the same. One way to make castons looser is to use a needle a couple sizes larger than you're going to make the rest of the piece with. Or use two together.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
rhiandmoi
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006 11:33:17 AM »

Ribbing flares when you bind off unless you bind off the knits as knits and the purls as purls, this is becuase for most people knits and purls are different sizes.

How I do jogless rounds is hard to explain but easy to do.

First I mark the first stitch. Then I change colors, when I get back to the first stitch I slip it and move the marker so that what used to be the second stitch is now the first stitch.  I can either change colors again right now or keep knitting with the current stripe color. The next time I change colors I do the same thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2006 01:47:40 PM »

Ribbing flares when you bind off unless you bind off the knits as knits and the purls as purls, this is becuase for most people knits and purls are different sizes.

Oh, is that why! I always bind off in the stitch pattern so have never had that happen.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
silbi

Crafting is a lifelong itch of mine

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006 05:32:52 PM »

heres a really nice bind off from Grumperina for ribbing:
http://www.grumperina.com/knitblog/archives/2006/06/so_i_knit_him_a_1.htm

"Work 2 sts in pattern (either knit or purl). Move yarn to back (if the last worked st was a knit, this is already the case). * Transfer the 2 worked sts to the LH needle, and k2togTBL. Work 1 st in pattern (move yarn to back if it was a purl), * repeat between *."

ive had the question of how to bind off circular knits for a very long time too. so i just came up with my own solution. i use the tail after binding off the last stitch, and use it to loop around through the first stitch to make it look like another stitch connecting the first and last stitches - - like duplicate stitch.
if that is hard to understand, please let me know and ill try to use pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2006 05:45:43 PM »

heres a really nice bind off from Grumperina for ribbing:
http://www.grumperina.com/knitblog/archives/2006/06/so_i_knit_him_a_1.htm

"Work 2 sts in pattern (either knit or purl). Move yarn to back (if the last worked st was a knit, this is already the case). * Transfer the 2 worked sts to the LH needle, and k2togTBL. Work 1 st in pattern (move yarn to back if it was a purl), * repeat between *."

I've seen that and tried it a couple times; works well.

ive had the question of how to bind off circular knits for a very long time too. so i just came up with my own solution. i use the tail after binding off the last stitch, and use it to loop around through the first stitch to make it look like another stitch connecting the first and last stitches - - like duplicate stitch.
if that is hard to understand, please let me know and ill try to use pictures.

That sounds like what I do. It tucks down that last stitch a bit so it's not sticking up looking out of place.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Bird Mask
How to Make a Batman Mask
How to Make a 1920s Lady Mask
How to Make a Dog Mask
How to Make a Cat Mask
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...