A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,693
Currently Running With Scissors:
767 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question About Paypal  (Read 902 times)
Tags for this thread: paypal  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

littlecity
« on: August 24, 2006 06:53:13 PM »

I am planning on opening up an online shop the legal way.

But since I am not 18, I'm planning on having my boyfriend (who happens to be turning 18 in October) to open a paypal account. That is what I would be using to collect the money from my store. Would that affect taxes or anything. Because I don't want him to have to deal with filing extra taxes, etc. Or even make filing taxes more difficult for me.

I hope that made sense.

Thanks! Smiley
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006 11:51:29 AM by littlecity » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissMeshell
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006 05:12:01 AM »

I can't really answer your question but I just thought I'd add that I've never had a problem with paypal and find it a great way of handling money online.

Are you sure that someone didn't hack into your account sweetz_love?

*off to look at your links*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissMeshell
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006 05:41:56 AM »

Oh I can definitely see why you're frustrated! That sucks big time Sad

paypals security should be better if some can hack into HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS of paypal accounts

True.

I don't actually keep any cash in my paypal account now that I think of it, just use it to transfer from my cards and such on Etsy. I'm so sorry that happened to you, I hope it all gets sorted out hun Undecided

THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlecity
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006 07:35:57 AM »

sweetz_love, I'm sorry about your troubles with paypal.
if you don't like paypal, do you suggest any other services like it?

and MissMeshell, thanks for the little tid bit. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Spiderbite

Write your fears in here, my dear...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006 12:01:59 PM »

I just opened up a store on paypal for my site. It seems ok thus far. I've done dealing with ebay on it, and never had a problem. I am currently trying a transfer of money from stuff bought on my website to my actual bank account. So I guess I'll see how it goes... Hopefully it goes well. I don't know of any other alternative, cheap ways to have a webstore. If any one knows of another way, please enlighten me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check my etsy site for GLOW-in-the-Dark Nightmare Snatcher journals and miniature Worry-Woolie notebooks:
http://spiderbite.etsy.com

Likewise please check Weirdling Works the Etsy shop for my collaborative work with my father, in illustration and writing:
http://weirdlingworks.etsy.com
msmeow
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006 07:48:29 AM »

I was very wary about starting to use paypal, but I've been fine.  I also don't treat it like a bank and keep tons of money in my account there.

You will get lots of paypal scams fishing for your info and passwords though email.  NEVER fall for one of those and type in password infomation.  Familiarize yourself with what is and what is not a legit email from paypal.

As far as the taxes questions goes, I'm not sure how that would work.  If the biz is in your name and you're collecting taxes on paypal for your state, I wouldn't worry about it too much, but maybe you can ask a local small business administration? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlecity
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006 04:24:40 PM »

thanks everybody.

my mom said she would open up a paypal for me, so I'm not sure affecting my boyfriends taxes will be a problem anymore. it's just easier to avoid that problem all together. =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006 05:04:49 PM »

I've used paypal for at least 7 years now without a problem.

I never, ever open those emails that ask me to click on a link and log in.  That's not actually PAYPAL that does that.  They are just really, really good at making it look legit with the logo and all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://babygoinplaces.com
Baby Goin' Places--for the baby on the go!  Slings, pocketchangers, custom clothing, and now custom monogramming and embroidery!
http://babygoinplaces.etsy.com
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006 09:19:18 AM »

You have to be smart about using not only PayPal, but any cash/credit service you use online:

1. Always open up a separate bank account to conduct such business.
2. Keep an eye on your funds there.
3. Transfer received money to another account on a daily basis.
4. Talk to your bank about securing your account against fraud.
5. Change your passwords on a regular basis/Don't use the same passwords for different things.

I've used PayPal for a couple years now. Never a problem. I know lots of people who use PayPal with no problems.

There are people who have plastic credit cards who get ripped off in the "real world" on a daily basis. It's not just the internet or anyone's particular security system. Criminals will always find ways to beat the system.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Hair Extensions to Choose
How to Flatten Hair
How to Achieve Hair Volume
Sugar Moisturizer for Your Hair
How to Make Your Hair Shine
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...