A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 303,159
Currently Running With Scissors:
371 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pansy candy  (Read 1795 times)
Tags for this thread: candy , pansy , gluten_free  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
yami mcmoots
« on: November 19, 2003 07:10:47 PM »

So I picked a patch of pansies on Sunday. Following a recipe for violet syrup, I washed the flowers, put them in a little mason jar, poured boiling water over them and let 'em steep for 24 hours. Monday, the liquid was a slightly disturbing dark-Windex blue (the pansies were a purplish variety - "Dynamite Wine Flash"). I put it in a pan.

Also in the pan were two cups of sugar, one cup of light corn syrup, and a dash of artificial vanilla. Stirred until the sugar dissolved, and then let it alone until my trusty candy thermometer registered near the "hard crack" stage (300 F). At this point, a spoonful of bubbly sugar-liquid dropped in cold water will make hard, brittle threads, like the one on my candy thermometer:

I had to lick it clean when I was done.  Tongue

Last step was to pour off the mixture into a pie pan (liberally sprayed with Pam beforehand, natch), leave it in the fridge to cool and harden, and smash it into pieces with the butt of a knife.

Pansies have a rather subtle, delicate flavor, so the finished product tastes mostly of corn syrup. I've bought another couple flats of plants, though, so next time I might be able to make a more concentrated solution.

Also next time... I want molds, and individually wrapped pieces! I think it'd be way cool to have a pansy (or viola, to keep it bite-sized) embedded in translucent hard candy - good as little Christmas package-toppers. Has anyone ever made hard candy in molds before? And what kind of paper can I use to wrap the candies?

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2003 10:24:43 PM »

OOOOH! I am intrigued by this...I love the idea of embedding a flower into the candy!! Tres chic! Unfortunately I don't know about the mold issue, but you could wrap them in coloured or clear cellophane. Keep us posted on your findings...
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003 11:44:35 PM »

I would just want to add to make sure your flowers are grown organically.

I Buy D.I.Y , get listed!

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2003 03:33:49 PM »

would an ice cube tray work?

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
-George Bernard Shaw
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004 11:27:16 AM »

This seems like such an awesome idea for anything with a "victorian christmas" theme.

When in doubt, sauerkraut.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
VF NEWS: Josie Natori - Fall 2015 - NYFW - Runway & Interviews
Celebrating Best And Brightest Lip Colors In Honor Of National Lipstick Day
Zoë Saldana Shows Off Rock Hard Post-Baby Abs
Queen of the Lob, Kristin Cavallari Reveals Her Beauty Secrets
Liquid DIY Foundation: Easy Organic Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...