A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
334 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ginger recipes?  (Read 1729 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

c_zimmerman724
« on: August 20, 2004 08:37:14 PM »

I just got some fresh ginger root and was wondering if anyone had any recipes??? Thanks in advance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elixia13
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004 09:39:43 PM »

I like to use it, cut up really small, in a stir-fry.  With, say, various veggies, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookgirl
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004 07:05:49 AM »

It's also really good in broth.  Cut some up and throw it into chicken or veg broth with lemongrass and let it simmer a while.  Strain out the ginger and lemongrass and add whatever veggies you may have on hand and chicken (if you're not a vegetarian, maybe tofu if you are?) and let it all warm through and get nice and fragrant.  It's a great soup all year round, but especially good and comforting (and healthy!) when you're just getting a cold.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lutheranchick
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004 08:41:54 AM »

You can grate it with a cheese grater or plane grater to get it really fine if you want.   I have had ginger juice.  It tastes like pineapple juice at first, but then it sets your throat on fire. Well, my dad liked it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, sauerkraut.
RockReceptionist

i do something creative every day

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004 09:34:22 AM »

this weekend i made carrots with ginger butter. i sliced the carrots into sticks and while they were steaming, i sauteed some minced fresh ginger and added butter to a saucepan. then i poured them over the carrots and added a pinch of sea salt. they were yummy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlypirate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004 09:34:45 AM »

i love making ginger tea, and it's really easy.
you need:
1-3" fresh ginger
boiling water
coffee filter
stapler
1.5 cups sugar
a glass quart pitcher

slice the ginger very thinly and place into the coffee filter and staple it shut.  add the filter and the sugar to the pitcher.  pour boiling water over and let steep about 10 minutes.  stir vigorously and remove the ginger filter.  the more ginger root you use, the stronger the flavor and the spicier your tea will be.  it's very good iced on warm days or hot on cold ones.  sometimes i'll just put the ginger in without a filter and eat the bits of sugary ginger as a spicy treat.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004 09:36:17 AM by girlypirate » THIS ROCKS   Logged
DieselEssence

anti-distinctly-minty

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004 09:41:15 PM »

or another variationon the ginger tea, from a hippie friend of mine who's currently sleeping on my floor...

- a large hunk of ginger, peeled and sliced (1/2 cup at least)
- a cinamon stick or two
- 10-ish cloves
- one piece of star anise
- 4 or 5 cardomon pods
- a couple of black peppercorns
- a clove or two of garlic, peeled
-  enough black tea to make weak tea under regular circumstances

stick it all into a pot of water, simmer until it tastes powerful. add honey and (soy) milk if you're that type.  this will cure anything you might be suffering from, and is great on a cold/rainy day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ookpik

everything is so neat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004 11:13:06 PM »

i use ginger in almost everything i make! stir-frys, thai curry, indian curries, soup, dessert, tea, chai, lemonade, cookies (ginger snaps!), candied ginger, pie, muffins, canned fruit, fruit crisp...

one really fun thing to do with ginger is to extract it into milk or cream for use in chocolate desserts. just chop up a bunch of ginger and gently heat it for about 10 minutes in the liquid called for in your recipe, strain, then proceed as usual (you might have to chill the milk again). i used about 1/4C of chopped ginger this way to make the Google-climbing chocolate mousse, and it conquered a party. i think it might have been the best food i've ever made.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's no such thing as too much information, so: All About My Vagina
shmee
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2004 02:58:52 PM »

I also use ginger in everything - I always keep some on hand. Here are a few of my favorites:

grate some up and toss it in with ramen - I know ramen is the nightmare food of early college years, but I grew up eating it all the time - the trick is to dress it up - add loads of fresh veggies, left-over meat or tofu and you will soon have a soup of the gods! (cilantro and chilli paste add even more yum!)

ginger fried chicken - this one I do for any parties or get togethers where I have to bring something because everyone flips - grate or finely chop ginger (about a big thumb sized hunk), add it to about 3-4 T. of soysauce, 1-2 T. sugar and 1/4 C of water - marinate finger sized pieces of chicken (boneless) for at least 30 minutes up to 6 hours. Drain and dredge individual pieces of chicken in cornstarch and fry as you would regular fried chicken. The cornstarch is lighter and crunchier than flour.... you can also make the marinade and chicken and freeze them together - then de-frost when you want to have a quick meal during the week.

cold tofu salad: if you like tofu, this one is a great summer dish to have with some stirfried veggies on the side and a steaming bowl of rice: cube fresh tofu - (the "firm" style) - top with freshly grated ginger, finley chopped green onions (scallions) and dried bonito flakes (sold in any asian market, also whole foods). Drizzle  soy sauce over the top and grab your chop sticks!

enjoy!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004 03:02:09 PM by shmee » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want you to take a bite of my pork. Its the world.
dreamin2
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2004 01:33:01 PM »

I always keep ginger around too. I've come to really love it in things.

Here's one easy idea for chicken I grew up on:

Shred/mince some ginger
mince garlic
rub both garlic and ginger on top of chicken pieces
dab chicken with margarine
shake on a small amount of seasoning salt and pepper if desired
bake in the oven until chicken is done.

has a great flavour to it and the skin comes out nice and crispy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bison Chili to go with your beer
Country Style and Lemon Balsamic Green Beans Recipe
Wild Sockeye Salmon Roasted on a Cedar Plank
Simple Salmon with Caper Sauce and Rice Pilaf
Serrano Ham and Cabernet Soaked Cheddar Stuffed Chicken
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...