A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,564
Currently Running With Scissors:
407 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I can't make sense out of this pattern  (Read 589 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 24, 2006 05:18:47 PM »

I'm trying to do these socks and I'm stuck! I've gotten to the heel flap, or rather, I've made it. I've got my 36 rows and now am supposedly starting on turning the heel. This is only my second sock, my first used a short row heel. This one...I just can not make sense of. How am I supposed to make 2 socks on 2 circs, when part of my sock is stuck on both needles? And how on earth does the math work for these? k18 in the first row, then p5, k6, p7 in the next ones....I'm soooo lost. Help?!? Sad Huh Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
roustie
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006 05:45:44 PM »

The first time I tried short rows I damned near swore off socks for the rest of my knitting career.  Truth be told, you just have to have faith in the pattern!  Follow the p5, k6, p7 and it'll come to light when you're working it as to why you're knitting that way.  What you're doing is knitting to the point where you've decreased, and then knitting/purling over it so as to not have a hole.  It's confusing, but just follow the pattern and I promise it'll work Wink.

As for doing two socks on the circs, well, I've never actually done two socks on a circ before honestly (for all my socks, I'm a hardcore dpn girl!).  I would assume you do one turn heel and then the other?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

naelany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006 05:49:07 PM »

I did the short rows ok, after much trouble. It's these that are giving me a headache though

Where did I decrease??? The flap is 36 sts and 36 rows, right?HuhHuh I didn't see any decreases until I had to start row 1 of the turning. And confusing doesn't even begin to cut it *pulls out hair*

I guess I will have to. I will admit that it scares me to do this though. This being only my second pair of socks and all...... I appreciate your response (especially since this is your first?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
roustie
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006 05:53:02 PM »

The heel flap is indeed 36 stitches/rows, but the turn heel is where you start to decrease.  This is what the pattern lists as the turn heel:

Row 1:  Sl 1, K18 sts, K2 tog (decrease), K1 turn

Row 2:  Sl 1, P5 sts, P2 tog (decrease), P1, turn

Row 3:  Sl 1, K6, K2 tog (decrease), K1, turn

Row 4:  Sl 1, P7, P2 tog (decrease), P1, turn

I bolded the decreases, I hope that helps to straighten out what I meant!

I know, sometimes I still want to pull my hair out with heel flaps, they've never been my most loved part of sock knitting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EmpressdesCieux

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006 05:55:57 PM »

I'm the same way stick to the dpns regardless of the fact that you have to go back and make a second sock, it may be hard but its much less confusing.  Definitely have faith in the pattern becasue what youa re doing is working back and forth making a sort of "cubby" for your heel its going to make those lovely flat stitches become an L shape.  I typically work top down so I cannot help you more than this but I can definitely tell you that it will be ok just dont forget to turn!
Lauren
THIS ROCKS   Logged
naelany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006 06:46:14 PM »

I'm doing toe up, and both at a time, because I don't know how much yarn I have, and I wanted to make sure to get a full pair out of the deal lol. I was giving some sock yarn without labels, so this seemed the best way to go. The other pair (my first) I made on DPNs. Up until this point though, doing both didn't seem so bad and was actually fun to see them both grow.

I guess I'll jump in then and give it a go, even if it scares me lol. I suppose the worst that happens is that I have to frog and start over
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roustie
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006 07:12:56 PM »

I guess I'll jump in then and give it a go, even if it scares me lol. I suppose the worst that happens is that I have to frog and start over

Exactly Wink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Design a Cartoon Shark
How to Create a Cartoon Tiger
How to Draw Scooby Doo
How to Draw a Wolf Howling
How to Draw a Wolf Head
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...