A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,633
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The "clothes for normal women" on Project Runway  (Read 7526 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Polybeadry
« on: August 24, 2006 02:45:43 PM »

Did anyone see the episode where they had to design clothes for "curvacious" women? It was hilarious and sad at the same time.
No wonder its so hard to find decent plus size clothing: designers don't know how to make clothes that don't fit anything but a perfect dress dummy.

The only outfit I liked was the one Uli made. The other ones looked mumus or something! And the attitudes of some of the designers was atrocious!

Anyway, does anyone know how to make something like what Uli made? I thought it was gorgeous.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty.Old.Hipster?
thebagfairy
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006 04:14:02 PM »

do you have a link to the pics from that episode?

I like the outfit Uli made, too. The monochromatic color pallete actually seems to elongate the body, very slimming! I totally didn't get that one outfit that looked like a hunter's orange men's shirt, shredded to look like a vest/scarf thing over a completely black outfit. it is kinda sad the way designers and clothing companies approach plus size clothing: let's make it black and ill-fitting cos after a size 12 we just aren't going to try anymore! Before torrid and lane bryant, plus sized clothing was geared toward a 60+ age group, very disconcerting for a (then)15yrold Sad

Uli's tunic looks fairly straight-forward, maybe just a big square of fabric with a v-neck and a short seam on either side.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006 05:11:47 PM by thebagfairy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
chocolate_snaps
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006 04:38:53 PM »

I agree Uli should have won. It was really sad to watch this show in particular. Its a shame that designers TODAY dont understand, respect or even tolerate that MOSt of the women in the US are NOT models, we are size 14+. I also didnt find it surprising that on of the designers with smaller "everyday" women won. Oh yeah and she was German just like someone else on the show...hmmm who could it be?
This episode left me disgusted but made EVER so clear why I need to learn to sew.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MMMmm Chocolate!
sew-enchanting
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006 04:41:18 PM »

I found it really discouraging, how some of them were acting - like we plus-sizers don't deserve nice clothes!  I think it was Jeffrey (the one who was so rude to Angela's mother) that was the most perplexed - and the most condescending.  Figures.

I liked Vincent's dress, too - flattering (although I'm not sure how "plus size" Uli's mom is!).  I LOVED Uli's outfit - she's very talented with color combos.  If I had seen the pink and tan, not sure if I would have tried it.   I really like the end result, though - although I could do without the necklace.    Here's a pic:

http://www.bravotv.com/Project_Runway/rate/    (actually, this is "Rate the Runway" for this week...can't figure out where there's just a pic to link to...)

The overblouse looks like it could be draped rather easily without a pattern.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
imthemonkeyqueen
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006 04:43:01 PM »

I agree, that show was wicked sad. The designers acted like plus size was a four letter word. The looks on their faces when they were told what they had to sew was the worst. If it wasn't for Torrid I think I'd be wearing a mumu.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's like making music with your mouth!
ReadingWench

It's all about the balance

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006 04:55:23 PM »

Here's my impressions on the episode...

LOVED Ulis outfit for Kaynes mother. The pink with yellow brown green swirly with the strips, VERY flattering on her.

LOVED Vincents outfit for Ulis mom, looked very nice on her.

Eh Laura outfit for Jefferys momGood idea but the waist was so high

Kayne for Michaels mom. Loved the coloring, a bit plain I think. But nice.

Angela for Lauras mom, so plain and bleh. fringes on a soon to be grandmother od 6, ah no.

Roberts for Vincents sister, good idea, but I think she looked bigger than she was you know. Typical big woman clothes. Bleh. black tank with a uhge orange coverup...could have done more.

Jeffery for Angleas mom, well it looked like she had on 2 shirts that were all lopsided. Weird

Michael for Roberts sister. A reversible dress. Freaking awesome! I didn't really like the fabric white and black stuff, but it was great.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Polybeadry
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006 06:19:34 PM »

What I thought was interesting was that so many of them didn't even try to give them any cool necklines. I mean these ladies have curves, let's show them off!
I think one of the judges even mentioned that. Its like they just assumed that larger women want to completely hide their bodies.

And the lack of detail on some of the outfits was just perplexing.

I thought the outfit for Michael's mom was awful. The pants made her look stumpy, the scarf was matronly, and it was just boring. I didn't get it! At the beginning he even said that he liked that she had rhinestones on her shoes.

You guys think its hard to find good plus size clothes? Wait until you get pregnant and have to buy plus sized maternity clothes, its a complete nightmare! The only good stuff I could find was at motherhood maternity.

Oooooh....that would be evil wouldn't it? To make them design clothes for very pregnant plus size women?

And is it me, or does jeffrey seem like he just hates women?

Here's a link to all the outfits.
http://www.bravotv.com/Project_Runway/rate/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty.Old.Hipster?
ingysoup
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006 06:32:59 PM »

I had never watched this show before this morning, which I guess were two reruns, but included the show you all are referring to.  I was/am disgusted.  On the first program (not the one you are referring to) the blonde designer was axed.  She and the man from Parson's were saying how "big" her model was.  Wha?  Huh?  She had to make some outfit out of paper...and apparently it didn't suit her "large, non-shapely body."  OMG!

And then the family members:  I actually was so disgusted that I couldn't really pay attention that much.  The one woman's dress with the beige lapels was nice but was she supposed to be *plus sized*?  Yeah, no, just a normal woman I guess....And the woman in the black shift with the orange/reddish cape/poncho thing --I could have done better than that!  With a trash bag!

This shit makes me sick.  Just another coin in the fountain of ever so skinny, ever so unattainable...expe nsive crap!  Won't watch again!

*sorry for the rant*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LuckyLally
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006 06:39:28 PM »

I was hoping there would be a disscussion about the "normal women" episode in this topic.

It was just bad....I am making a mental note to learn how to sew for a multiple body types.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Juniper
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006 06:44:27 PM »

True, Jeffrey might be one of the more egotistical men on the show, but at the same time, Angela's mom was so annoying!!!!!  Let the man try to design something!  He based it kindof on the outfit she was wearing when he met her, so I don't know why she was so upset about it.

Just my 2Cents.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Introduction to Adobe Encore - Overview
An Overview of Adobe Acrobat Lesson 3
An Overview of Adobe Acrobat Lesson 2
An Overview of Adobe Acrobat Lesson 1
Introduction to Adobe Acrobat - Overview
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...