A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,958
Currently Running With Scissors:
795 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Will this suit me?  (Read 3663 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ElvenOne
She's and Odd One That One...

Ooh! Tasty!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 24, 2006 02:42:02 AM »

So, Im short, round, and not too cute Tongue (maybe just a little cute actually but not big headed I swear!)

And i have fallen in love with these dresses in this pattern

http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5137.htm?tab=dresses&page=1

and also, the first view, the paisley Jacket/coat in this pattern (only in black satiny style fabric, or cotton not in a pattern fabric)

http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5060.htm?tab=jackets_coats&page=1

Im short (5"6) weigh between 220 and 240 pounds, my measurements are......

Bust, 52" (oops, no bra!, but i am wearing a support top thing)
Waist, 41"
Hips, 51"

But, I have broad shoulders.... about 20 to 21" across, I measured myself so may be a bit more or less.....

So., would either of those styles suit me? I havent worn a dress in AGES! And im falling inlove with them, its the end of winter/beginning of spring and I so cant wat to be wearing dresses.

Also, with my strange measurements (are they strange or is it just me?) what kind of skirts would suit me do you think?

Sorry to be asking so many questions haha Smiley

Heaps of thanks in advance!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How can we possibly become a strong person, if we have an easy life? The tougher it is, the tougher we have a chance to become if we choose to fight back. Tough times never last but tough people do. - Rick Gettle.

MORE TRUE THAN EVER
PinkingShears
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006 04:28:11 AM »

First of all, you're not short!  Second of all, you sound like you have a nice hourglass shape--not round.

I think that jacket is gorgeous.  I probably wouldn't make/use the belt.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ElvenOne

Ooh! Tasty!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006 04:41:55 AM »

hehe, thanks Cheesy I guess when i look in the mirror i see more up and down lol not the hourglass thing.

The Jacket is gorgeous, Im pretty sure im going to make it, even if it doesnt suit me lol.

I suppose 5"6 isnt short, but in comparison to people i know i am lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How can we possibly become a strong person, if we have an easy life? The tougher it is, the tougher we have a chance to become if we choose to fight back. Tough times never last but tough people do. - Rick Gettle.

MORE TRUE THAN EVER
ElvenOne

Ooh! Tasty!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006 06:03:25 AM »

Thanks for your opinion! means a bunch Cheesy

I know wjhat you mean about double breasted..... I'd like to have one pair thank you! lol

I have been looking at that sewalong... and really thinking about joining. Do you think it can be sewn in a jersey or stretch fabric type thing?

When it comes to sewing I kinda just go hmm this looks nice (for fabric) and then guess and it usually turns out great. So, hopefully, the only thing im not too keen on in this dress, is the tie bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MORE TRUE THAN EVER
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006 06:12:44 AM »

I've no idea about using a stretch fabric as I haven't even bought my pattern for it yet  Embarrassed but I will....<quick look at the calendar to see how much August we have left>
I tend to buy fabric first and then see what it turns into  Smiley but I'm gonna do this properly  Huh Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
BeltainE
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006 06:16:13 AM »

to be completely honest, I don't think the dress would look that great, especially if you have some of the lumps and bumps around the midsection that I have. I think it would take a powerful dress and make you feel frumpy. THe jacket, on the other hand, I think would look phenomenal! She is right tho, the one breasted version would look better than two.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"This is my glue gun, there are many like it, but this one is mine...."
Full Metal Jacket, now there's an idea... Smiley
ElvenOne

Ooh! Tasty!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006 06:16:41 AM »

hehe, not much august is left!!

But good for me, Its getting closer to warm weather!!!! and dress wearing weather!!

I hope where im moving to has plenty of sewing room!

I guess it can be adapted for stretch even if you cant use it........ Im not sure if i like the un fittedness of the top section of that pattern, (Simplicity 4050) I figure boobs are made for showing off, and I will accentuate one of my better features!

Hmmm, yeah i can see what you mean about frumpy, it is a little high waisted too........ GAH! lol and I was looking forward to it haha

There arent many dresses that look good on me! damn  shoulders... haha, and the rest of me for that matter
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MORE TRUE THAN EVER
McJulie-O
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006 06:45:55 AM »

Absolutely this dress will suit you! This dress has been highlighted everywhere (sometimes called The Duro, for its designer, Duro Olowu), on DressADay.com and on craftster as well, because it is flattering to every shape. The soft flowing drape of the fabric should skim your body loosely (don't make it tight!) for a shapely look. i wouldn't use a stretch fabric on it, just because I'd be saving the stretch for something that REQUIRES stretch, but I'd use something soft and drapey.

The McCall 5137 pattern version has no zipper (pull over the head), has a slightly lower midriff band, and a fuller skirt.....I'm doing this from memory...while the Simplicity 4050 has a slightly higher narrower midriff band, the contrasting neck band goes all the way around the back neck, and the skirt has less fullness (can't remember about a zipper)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BabyPop
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006 06:57:52 AM »

We're about the same size (though I don't know my measurements.)

That style looks similar to these:

http://www.kiyonna.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=KK2003&Product_Code=Colorblock_Dress_2&sblid=Colorblock_Dress_2&Category_Code=Dresses

http://bandlu.com/product.asp?item=phoebe

I think they'd be flattering.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ElvenOne

Ooh! Tasty!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006 07:08:52 AM »

wow thanks everyone for your help Cheesy I really really love this dress.!

I tried on something similar in target, but, it was all black, and had short sleeves, and was alot lower cut, so it was similar, but different at the same time....

Im thinking if i go for a patterened fabric, it will be a bit darker, but, im not sure about the contrasting band..... so maybe it will be the same, but then, on the liunk that BabyPop posted, the one where its all the same isnt as nice......

Thanks everyone Smiley I think i might go into spotlight tomorrow and see if they have both of those dress patterns and also the jacket one and see what types of fabric they use and what they have.  Smiley

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MORE TRUE THAN EVER
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pizza Muffins Recipe
Top Ten Turkey Tips for Thanksgiving
Top Five Thanksgiving Tips
How to Make Turkey Pot Pies
Quick Pumpkin Bread Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...