A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,965
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Will this suit me?  (Read 3418 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

therinennui
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006 07:42:54 AM »

Wow! You're me with a smaller waist! "We should stop driving and jump up and down and up and down and dance around and around!" (Neil Gaiman quote!) Lucky you. I'm just heavy, and you're heavy in that classic, hot, hourglass figure way.

5'6" isn't short (where are you from? A land of giants?). If you were actually short I'd say that that dress would be bad on you, because it does the long, flowy thing... and such, but I think both would look great.

I will definitely be making that dress as soon as I dig myself out of this bottomless pit of craft projects. (Oh, sad. I just realize that since I'm going off to live in a tiny dorm with a roomate that that may not happen for years!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Get thee to a nunnery!"
craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006 08:07:43 AM »

i know there are curvy folks making that dress, but honestly, i don't think it will be that flattering. it's SO loose, it reminds me of a mumu! i guess it just depends on your style, i try to avoid the super baggy clothes that are usually sold for curvy women, and make my own that are more fitted, because i think it looks better. but a lot of people feel comfier in the baggy stuff.

i think before you make it, think about your wardrobe. what kinds of clothes do you have? what do you feel most comfy in? if the majority of your clothes are body skimming, you might feel frumpy in it. if the majority of your clothes are loosefitting, you'll probably like it.

the jacket is lovely though. i think signle or double breasted would be fine. sometimes i think single breasted is actually less flattering on curves, because it emphasizes how much fabric there is on each side of the buttons. i don't know if i explained that very well!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
BeeSting
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006 08:55:27 AM »

I think it would look great on you, the skirt is nice and flowing, and it nips the waist in, I would go for it, as a little bit smaller version of you, I think it would be very flattering.  I would do contrasting bands, I think it would draw more attention to the hourglass shape you've got.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog for all things knitting and more:
http://theknittingsofbree.blogspot.com/
thebagfairy
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006 12:50:09 PM »

The way the skirt gathers on the waistband of the McCall's pattern would add too much bulk to any figure, and probably give that maternity look(tho sometimes in the store, the maternity tops are prettier than the plus-size tops!hmpf). Simplicity's version has princess seams(?) instead coming down from the waistband to the hips, which everyone seems to say is very flattering. For shorter gals(I'm 5'4"), it'd probably be better to go with the shorter skirt, like view B on Simplicity 4050.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
untoherselfalone
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006 05:14:29 PM »

I don't know about what is flattering on you, but I think you should make whatever dresses you want. Smiley You seem so into the dress, I would hate to see you not wear it. Can you make it as a gift or try on similar dresses in a store to see if it looks good?

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cinderly
Crazy Cat Lady (in training)

Morkmer loves his eggy!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2006 08:31:48 PM »

I sure hope the dress suits -- you and I could swap clothes (except I'm almost 2" shorter!) and I'm planning to make this very similar version.

I think as long as it's sewn as a semi-fitted garment instead of very loose-fitting, it should be OK.  I intend to make it up in $1/yard fabric just in case, though!

The jacket, no question, should look great.  Princess seams are an hourglass girl's best friend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stuff I've made  --  Swap Info  --  Wist  -- got a secret?

Got 4.5" cotton squares?  I <3 personal swaps!
ElvenOne
She's and Odd One That One...

Ooh! Tasty!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006 08:48:42 PM »

ooh! oh no....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now i need both..!

haha... I think, I like yours better though, I wasnt a fan of the ties... hehe Smiley  sounds like Im going to have to try both Cheesy

$1 fabric sounds like a good plan... I think they even have some nice stuff too.. ooh yay!

(edit) Looking at the patterns again, I actually think this one here Will be more flattering, because it doesnt have the gathering the otherone has around the waist section..... But, the original pattern, it has a more summery feel to it..... Hmmmmmmmm
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006 08:56:19 PM by ElvenOne » THIS ROCKS   Logged

How can we possibly become a strong person, if we have an easy life? The tougher it is, the tougher we have a chance to become if we choose to fight back. Tough times never last but tough people do. - Rick Gettle.

MORE TRUE THAN EVER
animegirlie
crafty nerdy girl

just make stuff!!!

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006 09:00:26 PM »

Elven I think both would look great on you! and that butterick one cinderly posted is EXACTLY what I've been looking for!! thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

New Craft Blog - best way to contact me right now is via the bloggie Smiley

Wists are a wonderful thing!

Want a sticker?
cinderly
Crazy Cat Lady (in training)

Morkmer loves his eggy!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2006 09:14:37 PM »

Gotta love those JoAnn's 99-cent pattern sales!  Gives me an opportunity to grab patterns I might not try if they were full price -- like the Duro dress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stuff I've made  --  Swap Info  --  Wist  -- got a secret?

Got 4.5" cotton squares?  I <3 personal swaps!
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2006 10:08:12 PM »

Looking at the patterns again, I actually think this one here Will be more flattering, because it doesnt have the gathering the otherone has around the waist section..... But, the original pattern, it has a more summery feel to it..... Hmmmmmmmm

I think the summery feel would depend entirely on the fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Black Friday Deals
Plus Size Women Show Lingerie Fits All Sizes
How To Properly Dress for a Holiday Party
How To Get the Most Out of Black Friday
Alyson Hannigan Talks Fashion
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...