A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,181
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: two dresses! *now with tutorial*  (Read 101074 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

astronaut
« on: August 24, 2006 12:30:48 AM »

this first one i made from an old sheet, i just wanted practice and to try to see what mistakes i would make since this was kind of my first dress andd i didn't want to ruin my fabric!

and then this is the 'real' one, i made the top part a little different because it ended up coming out a little over-exposing.

i also put that fabric over a belt real quick that i didn't like because i thought the dress needed something else to it. i'm not sure if i like it with it yet or not.

close up of the fabric:

wearing it:

TUTORIAL---

those are just the measurements i used for mine, i am about a medium

you are going to need four of the top pieces, you are giong to pin two together, sew around the outside ***except dont sew the bottom** next flip them inside out so the seams aren't showing, then sew the bottom (the seams will be covered up eventualyl). repeat with the next two pieces.

next you are going to sew them together like so

3. back of top- cut out a piece like the picture and sew it to the ends of the top, make sure the seems are on the same side as the top seams.

middle- you are going to cut out a strip the length of how long you want the middle piece to be, and the width around the area it is going. then you sew the ends together, and pin it to the inside of the top part so the seams are all on ***inside**** make sure of this, because thats the step i always mess up on and have to redo haha

and then for the bottom just use the circle skirt tutorial. get the measure ment of your waist, divide by four, and then two, and pin it just like the middle was.

next, add straps!

this was for my sister.. there is not straps on it yet because she still needs to come try it on so i can see how long they need to be

« Last Edit: September 02, 2006 04:15:08 PM by astronaut » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Brittles
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006 02:05:54 AM »

I love how the belt looks, but I think if it were a different color, brown or black maybe, it would go with the dress MUCH better.

The top is really flattering on you, and I love the pattern of fabric you chose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nifuu
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006 02:15:11 AM »

wow, it's adorable. the second one fits you perfectly! And i love the orange/green combination!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bone_a_bagpiper
From the land of baked beans

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006 02:16:17 AM »

amazing. tutorial please!!! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This is a night of your life, live it accordingly
jennyleigh

So many projects. So little time.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006 05:56:26 AM »

Cute dress.  The belt is cute, too, but I think I like it better without.  The others are right, the bodice is a perfect fit.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hotpinkpen
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006 03:46:38 PM »

I love the dresses! You did a fantastic job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ziabox
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006 03:51:37 PM »

I love those dresses! both of them are amazing! I like how they can go dressy or casual (imo), did you make your own pattern? if so.. wow! and if you dont mind sharing how you made the dress?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elphelba
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006 04:17:24 PM »

The dress fits your shape well and hangs nicely. Did you use a pattern or make your own?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
vintage dame
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006 08:24:40 PM »

in LOVE with the first one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<('-'<)
  c  c

. . .

oh sweet!  its a kirby!
debbie9707
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006 08:36:24 PM »

This was a really cute dress you have made!!  Smart of you to make a trail run.  Now tell us how you did it  ,k
Debbie9707
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Etch a Monogram on Glass
How to Transfer Photo Images
How to Embellish Glass and Wood Surfaces
DIY Nursery Series: Easy Tissue Paper Wall Art
How to Make a Dream Catcher Necklace
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...