A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Worcester? (Esp. Clark craftsters!)  (Read 3371 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tardmuffin
« on: August 23, 2006 06:34:04 PM »

Just moved in to Clark, and while I didnt pack my craft stuff, I'm close enough to home that I can justify a weekend to grab it all.
Problem is, I know of nothing in the city, no stores or crafty groups or anything. So, anything would be awesome. And if it's within walking distance, even better! I do have a car, and would be capable of driving places but I have only the faintest how to parellel park  Undecided (thank god for parking garages) so less driving= more happy tardmuffin.
Thank you in advance Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sixfist
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006 05:09:22 PM »

hello there fellow clark student.
what sorts of craft are you into? i myself don't find time for such things normally, but i know other more dedicated crafters around here.
how ya likin' clark so far?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tardmuffin
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006 07:39:37 PM »

Sewing, embroidery, stencils, screenprinting, scrapbooking, minor jewelry making, pretty much anything except knitting and crochet, though i'm itching to learn to knit.
Know any good stores nearby either? i've only ventured off campusto get to cvs and some apartments, so i havent discovered any craft stores. Or anything for that matter. I should probably try getting off campus.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006 07:45:29 PM by tardmuffin » THIS ROCKS   Logged
QueenofSporks
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006 11:11:00 AM »

Well, not a clark student, but a WPI student, so close enough.

I haven't really looked for specialty yarn stores, but wpi sort of has a "knitting club" or whatever. It's entirely populated by middle-aged administrative women, so not really a good time, but they have a good resource link: http://www.wpi.edu/Admin/HR/Knit/Resources/lys.html

I usually just stick to AC Moore.

it's unfortunate worcester doesn't have a stitch and bitch or something.

Enjoying worcester's "threadbare ambiance"?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
QueenofSporks
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006 11:14:57 AM »

Whoops, I read that as you wanting to know where yarn stores were, not general crafts. Anatomy test in an hour, my brain is fried.

Well, those resources should help you, anyway. Also, there's a jo-ann's fabrics up route 9 (Belmont Street). Most of these places are closer to WPI than clark (we're more strategically located, naaah nahhh nahnahnaaaaaah. Sorry, had to get it out, heh.)

I usually get stenciling stuff at micheals (also up route 9), fabric and joann's and yarn at A.C. Moore.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
supersleeves
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006 08:09:52 AM »

Clark craftster here! AC Moore is really good for craft supplies (super cheap t-shirts in every color imaginable too!). Other than that, I really don't know of much around the area... I grew up in Fitchburg (about a half hour from Worcester), and I know that this area is generally not crafter-friendly. However, I've heard if you look hard enough, you can find some pretty cool stuff.

Hey, and if you're itching to learn how to knit, I'm usually around and would be glad to teach... drop me a line on AIM if you want (supersleeves). Smiley

Happy Crafting!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amara
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006 11:39:35 AM »

I'm also a Clarkie Crafter!

What's up with the Craft room in the basement of the Higgins center? (It's my first semester, I'm a transfer student.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amara
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006 11:41:04 AM »

Oh yeah, and the Salvation Army thrift store next to the Price Chopper is AWESOME for finding great clothes to remake, and furniture to reupholster and/or decoupage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
supersleeves
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006 02:22:31 PM »

Thanks for the tip about the Salvation Army.. I've been meaning to check that out!

(I'm a transfer too Smiley)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snowmoon3
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006 05:04:14 PM »

I graduated from Clark in 04 but I still live in Worcester.  I knit, crochet, and spin and am willing to teach any of it. 

The only craft store in Worcester is A.C. Moore.  It's on Lincoln Street.

There is a Jo-Ann's in Shrewsbury (Rt. 9) and there are Michael's in Shrewsbury (Rt. 9) and Millbury (Blackstone Valley Shoppes).

If you are interested in weaving, there is the Saori Studio on Highland Street.

There are no local yarn stores in Worcester but there are several in surrounding towns.  There is Village Needleworks in Northborough (Rt. 20), Necessities for Needlework in Westborough (E. Main Street),  and The Sheep Shack in Holden (Main Street).  I've heard there's also a nice one in Gardner but that's a bit further and I don't know what it's called or where it is.  There's also supposedly one in Grafton but I don't know name or location for that either.  Also, if you can get out to North Hampton, Webs is supposed to be amazing. 

As for the craft studio in the basement of Higgins, I never found it useful but things may have changed over the past few years.  If you go down there, there should be a poster with class times and fees.

You can reach me on AIM at snwmoon3 or on my knitting blog www.snowmoon3.blogs pot.com or the shownotes for my podcast
http://btfm.livejournal.com

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ragdoll193
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006 08:32:02 PM »

Is the thrift store really right next to price chopper?

I'm at WPI with QueenofSporks, but I'm a freshman which equals lack of car and knowledge about places to feed my craftyness.

There's also a few girls on my floor that I'm trying to get to join craftster, one is addicted, yet hasn't joined. they're making anime boston costumes for april. joann's cost $17 round trip just to go. stupid cabs
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
lovelyxmalia
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006 06:33:55 AM »

Well, I live in Southbridge and this has nothing to do with crafts, but I was thinking about going to Clark... is it a good school?  is it hard to get into?  how are the people?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She sees shooting stars...
              & comet's tail
She's got heaven in her eyes.
wysiwyg
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006 06:49:32 AM »

I live in Boston but am from Central Mass. C.C. Lowell is an art store at 258 Park Ave.

I vaguely remember it being a little more expensive, but it seems closer and could even out in terms of travel costs.

http://www.cclowell.com/directions.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tardmuffin
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006 08:29:51 AM »

Well, I live in Southbridge and this has nothing to do with crafts, but I was thinking about going to Clark... is it a good school?  is it hard to get into?  how are the people?

It's a fairly competitive school, admission wise. It's not too bad though. Depending on your major though, the programs may not be what you're looking for (there's a MUCH stronger focus on the arts, the science department's fairly small and doesn't offer many options).  It's not the popped collar crowd by any means, kids are pretty unique and very much a mixed bag.

If you want, you can PM me or contact me on AIM (yayforerni) so we don't threadjack this.

Ragdoll- Salvation Army is HUGE, it is right next to the Price Chopper on Cambridge, which at least from Clark isn't bad at all. You could always catch the consortium bus and walk from here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovelyxmalia
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006 09:26:36 AM »

haha it's so funny because I was out looking for the Salvation Army on Saturday and couldn't find it...I never knew it was next to Price Chopper!  Sheesh...I have no sense of direction!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She sees shooting stars...
              & comet's tail
She's got heaven in her eyes.
irishelf
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2007 07:31:49 PM »

Clarkie craftster here!

I don't really have craft stores to add b/c I think all the ones I know of have already been covered.  On nice days though you can walk to CC Lowell, I have a few art major friends who did this.  You can probably even walk there from WPI if you don't want to spend the cab money.

I knit quite a bit, so I'd be happy to help those who want to learn. 

The craft studio isn't much really.  Its mostly used by groups for making the big posters they hang up in the UC.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

emkay

The Sober Irish Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2007 08:49:21 PM »

I love the Sheep Shack in Holden.  There is a knitting help night every week but I'm not sure which night.  I don't know much about the buses from Worcester but I know they do go to Holden, however I would recommend having a friend drive you because if you don't know the town you won't really know where to get off.  It's a small shop with a nice variety of yarns and the owner is one of those women who remembers what you're working on and what yarn you bought and has some sort of instant-gauge-o-meter in her head if you don't want to use the yarn suggested by the pattern.  As for other crafts, AC Moore has WAY more pattern books and a much better supply of crochet hooks, knitting needles, and cross-stitch supplies than Michael's.  However Michael's seems to have better prices in general and more in the way of scrapbook stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007 06:35:17 PM »

There is a bead shop in Tatnuck Square- called Tatnuck Beads- and it is on Pleasant Street. It'd be a longish walk from both WPI and Clark (maybe 3 miles?), but it's worth a visit!

And, fellow Worcesterites (or temporary transplants, spoken as a WPI grad who sort of never left)...the Craftster Charity Blitz has Greater Worcester Habitat for Humanity as its charity for April. They are having an auction in May and are looking for donated items. Check it out at: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=141234.0 or http://www.thinkscience.org/CraftsterPics/habitatauction.html

I'll be hitting the thrift stores this weekend in the hopes of finding something decent to re-vamp into something excellent!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
jenney
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007 12:25:38 PM »

Don't forget about HBML (happy birthday mike leslie) on pleasant street.  Yeah, kind of a junk shop, but if you like to re craft things, unusual things thats a good place.  and in september 17th  theres stART on the street! ( i used to live in worcester and try hard to find time to craft)  my town actually has a needlework/knitting/crochetting group that meets at the library every week...check out some of the local libraries...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emkay

The Sober Irish Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2007 02:13:31 PM »

Where on Pleasant St.?  What is stART?  And what town do you live in Jenney that has that group?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2007 05:00:30 PM »

Hmmmm...I didn't know about HBML! I may have to wander down Pleasant Street to find it. I'm guessing that it is south of the rotary at Newton Square (near Doherty HS).

stART on the Street is an Artists and Crafters festival that will be right on Park Ave. It's Sunday, Sept. 16th (rain date the 23rd). They close off a section of Park Ave (between Elm and Pleasant, I think...or maybe all the way to the end of Elm Park...I'm not sure). I didn't get to go last year to check it out, but my sister and I have a booth, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Check out www.startonthestree t.org for more info.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
ragdoll193
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007 06:23:08 PM »

stARt is actually on the 16th this year (so it'll be on a sunday), I'm in it and am totally excited. if you google stART on the Street, you'll get the web page. It's a bunch of (mostly local) artisans who get together and have an art festival. jewelry, paintings, magnets, wooden creations, clothing, music, street performances, everything. I went to it last year and it was pretty cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
Sayomi
D-I-Y Designettes of Metrowest Massachusetts

Make tea, not war.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2007 12:58:32 PM »

Another Worcester area seam rippin craftster here! I was just commenting that I will be performing in Start on the Street, a geisha-esque tribal dance. If anyone see's me feel free to introduce yourself as a fellow craftster! I have also started a Metrowest crafty, artsy grrls club called D-I-Y Design-ettes. The link is in my profile, please do join girls!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ragdoll193
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2007 04:34:27 PM »

sayomi, i will be in stART, if you have time, you should stop by my booth. I'm in the street in pretty much the middle of the line as Ragdoll Designs. Maybe I can see your performance from there?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
Sayomi
D-I-Y Designettes of Metrowest Massachusetts

Make tea, not war.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2007 01:07:04 PM »

Long story, but I couldnt make it to Start!! I was so disapointed! Hope you had a great selling day! I requeste you as a friend on myspace, and I also have a yahoo group of metrowest crafters if you care to join! find the linkage in my profile!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creative Ways To Rock Some New Spring Beauty Trends
Why Do I Look So Terrible After A Night Of Bad Sleep?
Spring Floral Nail Art Tutorial
Birchbox April 2014: Sneak Peek
Two Teens With Life-Threatening Illnesses Become Models For A Day
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...