A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
394 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: for a friend in an insane asylum (MORE INFO!)  (Read 2429 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2006 02:49:03 PM »

No offense meant in my post! I wasn't trying to be a know-it-all!

I just know some ppl are sensitive about such issues! Glad that she sound like she's got a sense of humor about it!  Cheesy

Best of luck to her and you in figuring out a gift!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
talmina
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006 02:00:08 AM »

Definately go for a journal and maybe a bible since shes christian.  I would also suggest some sort of craft.  If you can afford it, send her some pics of good times with her friends and all the supplies for her to turn it into a scrapbook.  She will definately want something to keep her occupied.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cinderly
Crazy Cat Lady (in training)

Morkmer loves his eggy!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006 02:38:28 AM »

disclaimer: the following suggestions presuppose clinical depression as a primary diagnosis; they may not be suitable or helpful for those with other forms of mental illness.

What about a cherry-print-fabric pointy kitty?  He's already a smile-inducing shape and huggable things are wonderful when you're down in the Pit.

Similarly, a huggable pillow-stuffy-thing in pretty or funny fabrics would be wonderful.  It would be even cooler if you could incorporate some way for the pillow to "eat" secrets she wants to be rid of ... a pocket mouth, maybe?

Journals are always good ...

Maybe a box of simple, easy projects to occupy her when she's going stir-crazy but doesn't have enough energy to do much more.  Or, if she's switching meds, something to keep her busy during the 4-6 weeks it can take for them to fully work.  (Is there something she's always wanted to learn?)  Again, be careful with sharp objects -- no stencil kits with handy Xacto blade, for instance.

2-3 coloring books and a pack of crayons.  If you can't find any worthwhile coloring books, try stained glass designs.  (You can find them online and print them out -- alternate simple and involved designs with blank pages or favorite quotes/verses/lyrics.)

Give her a wonderful handmade (if you make such things) or store-bought soap.  She needs to pamper herself, once she's home.  (She needs to do it now, but that may be hard on the Inside.)

Does she like tea?  A small container of a really good version of her favorite with a nice tea ball would be a wonderful gift.

Romance novels (historical ones can be fun!) or other escapist literature is great, as are childhood favorites.  (Little House series, maybe?)  So are the fashion rags.

Right now, send her a letter.  It doesn't have to be long, just sincere.  Tell her that you miss her.  (She may not be willing to believe that now, but it may help.  And she'll appreciate it in short order.)

Sorry for such a long post, but this one hits close to home for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stuff I've made  --  Swap Info  --  Wist  -- got a secret?

Got 4.5" cotton squares?  I <3 personal swaps!
aytchjay
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006 05:09:14 PM »

I'm terribly sorry about your friend. I've had to stay in a few mental hospitals myself, and it's not generally that fun. Let me think... When I was in there, I loved coloring in coloring books. Crafty-like supplies is a good idea too, but either ask or use your judgement about what kinds of supplies would be allowed. If you have something that you're not sure of, but think she would want, you should definitely ask, though, because some stuff can be used as long as there's supervision.

It varies widely from hospital to hospital, as far as how much free time she'll have, but my favorite things when I was in the hospital were: my fleece tie-blanket, stuffed animals, cards I got in the mail (I absolutely loved getting mail! Hardly any of my friends came to visit me, but they were good about writing), playing cards (this was a big one. Everyone in the hospital with me played cards; this was our social activity)...

The best and most practical thing is a journal, for sure. I journalled every day of the two months I spent inpatient, and I still journal to this day. It can be a recovery tool, and is VERY handy if she's being medicated, because she can write down any symptoms or problems she's having, so she doesn't forget them when she meets with her doctor for adjustments, but even aside from that, a journal is a GREAT gift idea.

I'll come back if I think of anything more. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stellaheartocean

inappropriate in every way imaginable

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2006 08:01:04 PM »

The best thing you can do right now is write to her. It sounds like she could really use your support, and good for you for being willing to give it to her. A handmade card would quite nicely show her you care.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gunstreetgirl on Ravelry
www.varnishedvalkyrie.blogspot.com
woahitsmikayla
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2006 07:41:14 AM »

Thanks everybody for your help!
She should be getting out soon too so I am really excited to see her back   Grin
I've already made her a stuffed animal and a journal (with cherry's all over, I'm almost sad to see it go lol) that has little quotes from the bible scattered around on some of the pages and my mom's taking me out later to get some coloring books for her
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Black Walnut Blondies
How to Make Mango Doughnut Muffins
How To Make A Cranberry Walnut Pie For Thanksgiving
Classic Christmas Pudding Recipe
Cranberry, Chocolate and Pecan Biscotti Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...