A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
587 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ear threads and Utter Confusion  (Read 1785 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

trendydiva
Knit it Up!

ThisChic is a D.I.Y Diva

View Profile WWW
« on: August 20, 2004 09:08:14 AM »

I'm trying to figure out how those ear threads are made...what size chain should be bought to ensure that it fits inside the hole in the earlobe. Also, what in the world is used as the actual threader...is it a head pin or something? would someone please help me out...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my knitting  blog!
http://www.trendydiva.f2o.org/weblog

Join The Allen/Plano Knit Group
http://www.tcknitgroup.blogspot.com
moobaa
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004 04:55:20 PM »

Threader as in to thread it through your ear? I would assume that thats what the bar on the end is for. As for how they were made? Don't know. Did you buy those and put the beads on yourself? If you can buy them already with the bar attached I think that it would be a whole lot easier to buy them than to make them. That's not a craftsters style I know, but somethings you just have to cheat with.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Your just jealous cause the voices only want to talk to me!
stephela
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004 03:09:23 AM »

I've been a tad confused by these as well...

Nearest I can tell, your main concerns with these versus regular long chain earrings would be

1. The smoothness of the ends on the "threader" or the ends of the earrings and

2. The size of the chain used would have to be thin enough to be comy slidin' through your piercing.

It looks to me like those threader ends aren't head pins, but probly just wire tubing, filed all nice and smooth (you know, like the post part of post earrings is basically just wire).  In this case, though, it looks like it's hollow.  I know you can purchase tubing in some pretty small gauges ( you wouldn't want larger than 20 or so, for comfort's sake again). 

These might be soldered, but a good jeweler's cement might work fine:  just take the chain, add a bit o glue, thread into the tubing a bit to keep it secure.  Then you can attatch your beads and prettiness to the other end.

As for the size of chain, go with whatever is just small enough to fit in the tubing.

Does that make sense?  Hope so--it's late.

I hope that was at all helpful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gene wilder rules!
maize

Let Love Rule!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2004 07:08:49 PM »

Looks like silver wire  has been pounded on the end and a hole drilled through it?  Could achieve the same look with the appropriate size gauge wire eye pin.  Simply slip the chain into the eye.

Cheers!

Maize
THIS ROCKS   Logged
catherine625
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004 07:38:49 PM »

That chain part doesn't go through your ear, does it?  I'm confused.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them."
                -Theodor Seuss Geisel (Dr. Seuss)
kylieultra
hippopotophile

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2004 11:50:37 PM »

That's how they're worn- the chain does go through your ear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
catherine625
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2004 10:03:20 AM »

oooh!  I get it!  Those are neat!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them."
                -Theodor Seuss Geisel (Dr. Seuss)
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004 12:11:37 PM »

Ok, from my experience as a jeweler:

First, the average gauge of wire used for ear posts is 20 gauge or finer.  20-22 gauge almost exclusively. 

The earchains in that photo look like wire soldered onto the end of some venetian box chain, which is a good choice because of it's uniform shape.  (A twisted double rope chain would work, and so would some plain ol' curb chain, but the venetian box is also a lot more durable.)  I don't think it looks like tubing to me.  It looks like regular wire. 

Of course, another option is that you can buy just posts that are made to be soldered onto earrings.  It doesn't have a pad or anything, it's just a post with the appropriately rounded end and a little notch for the clutch to fit on in back.  In the case of these chains, you woudln't need the little notch, but it might be worth buying them anyway, because there wouldn't be any finishing involved.  Most of the time, these posts also come prestamped if you're using a fine metal, like sterling or gold. 

Now, back to the sizes.  20 gauge wire is .80mm.  22 gauge is .63mm.  It's hard to find chain as fine as .63mm, but .80 isn't so bad. 

I would not recommend making these out of anything less than sterling chain and wire.  The reason for this is that sterling chain is regulated to a certain pureness, while base metal chains are not.  Base metal chains could easily contain allergenic metals and solders, while the sterling will be less allergenic.  Usually, even if earrings are made of base metals, the posts are at least surgical or hypoallergenic steel, while chains, of course, do not have to be held up to that standard.  So, I would just be very careful. 

Flattening the end of a piece of wire and drilling a hole is one option, but that is even more finishing which would have to be done.  And some chains, like the box chain, would not work well like that.  I'd recommend making the transition from "threader" to chain as seamless and smooth as possible, which is really only properly done with solder.  Jewelers cement (which in the business we call 2-part epoxy Wink ) is an option, but only if you do NOT sell your pieces with any kind of guarantee, because that type of joint is very easily broken. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2004 07:24:03 AM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
chunkofbutter
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2004 09:22:27 PM »

I have had my threaders for about 8 years . Renaissance festival buys. I put mine through both the hole in my ears. I put it through the top hole 1st. then string though the bottom. looks cool that way. The ends are solid s.s. wire. the chain is very small regular chain the ends are soldered on. then a jumpring is on the other end with  beads or charm of some kind. my favorite pair has foot prints. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkkittypiper
Bead Junkie

Can't cut a straight line to save my life...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2004 06:54:55 AM »

I have had my threaders for about 8 years . Renaissance festival buys. I put mine through both the hole in my ears. I put it through the top hole 1st. then string though the bottom. looks cool that way.

Any chance of a pic showing what this looks like?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where the wild things are is where I am most at home!
Wanna do a personal swap? PM me!!!
My wists: http://www.wists.com/pinkkittypiper
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Mark - Applying Glitter Eye Makeup
How to Do Last Minute Cat Makeup for Halloween
Best New Beauty Products for November
November 2013 NewBeauty TestTube Is Shipping Soon
The Monday Makeover - The Perfect Pink Lip
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...