A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,653
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Watson and Crick Light  (Read 14324 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

swaantje

1,3,7-trimethylxanthine!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2006 01:33:03 AM »

Wow, that's one cool kitchen! Well done Smiley
Although I don't really agree that genetics is the best part of biology  Tongue (I prefer neurobiology myself  Roll Eyes), you inspired me to make a Rosalind Franklin nightlight for my little niece. Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where there's a wall, there's a wheeee!

My very own wist-list
Kpuppy
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2006 07:01:06 AM »

You should have totally included Rosalind Franklin. She was totally screwed on that whole endeavor.

But, that is really amazing. Question: Is everything handpainted, or did you also use a stencil?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kpuppy
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2006 07:04:40 AM »

Ok, something that is bugging me about this post...just FYI, because I am a developmental geneticist, Watson and Crick were NOT geneticists. They never did a bit of genetics research. They were more molecular biologists if anything.

Sorry, I'm completely a science nerd.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gishygoo
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2006 11:13:08 AM »

This is beautiful!  I have been wanting to do some type of Warhol-ish painting piece for my kitchen for a while now.  The problem is, I am not really a painter.  I don't have an eye for the colors.  I was wondering, did you just paint this freestyle, or did you have a computer program that could change the colors for you, like photo shop or something?  Also, did you stencil, or draw it?  It's great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out: www.gishygoo.blogspot.com
Everything is so wistical! www.wists.com/gishygoo
centrallyisolated
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2006 09:37:36 AM »

I love that my post has started a discussion about the history of biology... I am actually a sociologist of biology in my other life as a non-craftster  Smiley  I did Watson and Crick because I was trying to use "mass culture" symbols of genetics in keeping with the pop art theme, but I'm excited to see some Rosalind Franklin crafts!

About how I actually painted the faces on:  I took photos of Watson and Crick from the internet and played with the contrast in photoshop until they were mostly black and white outlines. Then I flipped the images (so that I had mirror images) and put the photos behind the piece of plexiglass and used them as a pattern when I was painting.   After it was dry, I flipped the plexiglass over so that the paint is actually on the back side, rather than the front (that's why you have to flip the images before you start painting).

Putting stenicls behind the plexiglass obviously makes it *much* easier and faster to paint the images, and you can layer the paint -- if you start with the dark outlines, then you can just paint over the dark layers with lighter colours and not have to worry so much about accuracy.  I also think it looks much nicer to have the paint on the back side of the glass... then you see the smooth front of the plexiglass in your finished product instead of the glass paint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kpuppy
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2006 10:54:27 AM »

OOoo..thanks so much for the mini-tutorial. I want to make something similar to this sometime.

Don't you find that scientists tend to be pretty crafty? I would think it would be opposite, but it isn't.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweetiemonster

I like naps, and yellow yarn.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2006 05:17:18 PM »

Congrats.  You are amazing.   Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

you fit into me

you fit into me
like a hook into an eye

a fish hook
an open eye

--margaret atwood
annam42

http://fortytworoads.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2006 03:53:25 PM »

wow, i totally thought i was going to click on a double helix lamp, but this is infinitely more awesome! yay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ankareeda
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2006 06:04:15 PM »

I LOVE this.  Watson came to speak here last year and now I'm going to have to copy this idea.   Where did you get the pictures?

Amazing job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"No physician is really good before he has killed one or two patients."  ~Hindu Proverb
BereaSteph
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2006 05:13:27 AM »

OMG!!! this makes me sooooo happy! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Simple Baby Booties Part 2/7
How to Crochet Simple Baby Booties Part 5/7
How to Crochet Simple Baby Booties Part 3/7
How to Crochet Simple Baby Booties Part 4/7
How to Crochet Simple Baby Booties Part 1/7
Latest Blog Articles
Get Lost in a Book
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...