A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
705 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bramaggeddon (aka Building a better bra)  (Read 63963 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Soth
« Reply #220 on: December 07, 2006 08:28:13 AM »

I must confess, I am also knitting at the  moment. No sewing these days... Wink

Holidays are coming.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For pictures of the "TOUR DE FLEECE 2007" visit my blog: medieval maiden http://sothlegar.blogspot.com/

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein
ProfessorZed
« Reply #221 on: December 07, 2006 09:08:35 AM »

You gals are a bad influence on me.  After another frustrating day of bra shopping (I've recently lost a bunch of weight, which somehow shrunk my band size but not my cup size -- wacky hijinks ensue!), I spent something like an hour last night with my husband, an old bra, and some duct tape.  Our roomie was infinitely amused.  I need to fine-tune the fit a little bit before I start using it for a pattern, but it seems to be coming along ok.  Rather than the usual curvy cup shapes, I think I'll be using sort of a petals-from-beneath piecing technique.  More lift, less torpedoing.

Incidentally, having read this whole thread in one night, I can't keep track of who said what.  I'd just like someone to know that I've picked up the term "Brunhilda Body Armour" and will be spreading it across the land.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
momof2angels
« Reply #222 on: December 11, 2006 04:47:16 PM »

Well, after spending over an hour trying on bras the other day and not finding even one that fit, I went to ebay and bought a Kwik Sew bra pattern.  It just came in the mail today.  So, it looks like I will be sewing over the Christmas break.  Hopefully when the new year rolls around I will have at least one good fitting bra with a pattern to make many more. 

Good luck everybody,
Carmen
THIS ROCKS   Logged
_hunny_
« Reply #223 on: December 12, 2006 03:01:05 AM »

Woop, one can soon join this thread as im making a bra/small bustier in a 34D for my textiles project soon, am very excited!! one of the main specification points is that it is very supportive, ill let y'all know when ive found out how Tongue any ideas apart from boning and interfacing?!? x x x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ All of us girls are stars, and deserve the right to twinkle ~ Marilyn Monroe
diannab
founder member of the ZaftigMomma appreciation Society : )

Away..... stalking..... will return shortly......

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: December 12, 2006 03:11:30 AM »

Hunny-the power tricot is a big factor in support. Along with using a very sturdy fabric with just slight stretch for the straps. I have made 2 more just haven't had time for pics. A good suggestion is to make your mock up out of tshirt material so you can get it how you want (chances are even if you use a pattern you will still need adjustments) . THen have a go at it! Cheesy Good Luck! Can't wait to see!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may be out of touch for a few days.my cable company merges we are experiencing lots growing pains!!! Email: diannabishop@yahoo.com
Would you like a Child/baby clothing & gift board?
_hunny_
« Reply #225 on: December 12, 2006 01:58:53 PM »

Now, without sounding tooo amaturish (sp?!) whats "the power tricot " ?!? thanks x x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ All of us girls are stars, and deserve the right to twinkle ~ Marilyn Monroe
diannab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: December 12, 2006 02:24:28 PM »

LOL No worries! That is what I said! Grin lol Most fabric stores can point you in the right direction. And you can order some from sewsassy.com lol Cheesy that's how amateurish I am Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may be out of touch for a few days.my cable company merges we are experiencing lots growing pains!!! Email: diannabishop@yahoo.com
Soth
« Reply #227 on: December 13, 2006 10:42:56 AM »

Hi hunny,

welcome to the crazy bra-addicts  Grin

Powernet (or Powerknit) is kind of a stretchtulle. Looks like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64492600@N00/321502783/

Comes in different weights. If you are quite curvy, take a heavyweight one.

You can make really lacy bras und take a skin colored one as lining. Nobody will notice..... Wink
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006 10:53:58 AM by Soth » THIS ROCKS   Logged

For pictures of the "TOUR DE FLEECE 2007" visit my blog: medieval maiden http://sothlegar.blogspot.com/

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein
diannab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: December 16, 2006 06:56:42 AM »

Hey guys Cheesy I can't for the life of me, remember if this link has been put in here but it gave me lots of ideas :

http://www.andsewitis.net/braclass/class_start.html

Hope this helps everyone! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wonderwitch
« Reply #229 on: February 20, 2007 07:13:06 PM »

i've read this whole thread, you guys are amazing! as a 32-34 DDD, i can totally relate & agree with all u guys have said! i mean isn't a large bustline sexy & desirable by society's standards? but why arn't there enough (if any) good options for the well endowed? and bras are so expensive too for such small pieces of fabric& wire!

this is my favorite bra! iv'e had it for around 4yrs, so its past its prime, but i still don't have the heart to chop it up for the cause, but since you've inspired me i'm gonna try and reconstruct a similar one by tracing the pieces onto scrap pattern tissue paper (i save all my tissue paper pattern scraps, they have soooo many uses & its recycling)

link to my fave bra:http://www.intima.pl/biustonosz-lillyets-tre-p-75.html

sadly, i think its discontinued, another reason to make it

also, i just ordered a bravissimo catalog, thanks to whoever mentioned it, they seem to have a really nice selection!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Choosing Image from Sequences
Setting Up the Camera
Camera Set Up
Camera Raw Processing
Camera and Lighting Set Up
Latest Blog Articles
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...