A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bramaggeddon (aka Building a better bra)  (Read 63774 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2006 11:03:47 PM »

Has anyone been to a sewing class for making lingerie? How difficult is it? Does it work out expensive with all the straps and hooks and such?
No, I haven't been to a class, although I'd take one if I saw it offered. I'm thinking it might be a little pricey to buy all the hooks and stuff separately, but the link that Ariadne'sThread offered up early in this thread had reasonably-priced kits. I plan to order one and give it a shot once I finish several of the projects that I have going on right now. Unfortunately, that'll probably be after Halloween.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2006 11:04:59 PM »

So I don't know if they give fittings, but maybe the one near you also hires underwear psychics.
Thank you, I literally laughed out loud at that one! (I'm just lucky I wasn't drinking anything at the time... Cheesy)
Yay! I live to serve. *grin*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
Kaos
A random assortment of artistic delicacies.

Photo editors are dangerous...

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2006 06:56:26 AM »

Has anyone been to a sewing class for making lingerie? How difficult is it? Does it work out expensive with all the straps and hooks and such?

I don't know where you live but there is a class here in Toronto and it costs $250 CAD. It says that the kit to make 1-2 bras is available from the instructor but doesn't say how much. I'll be taking this class eventually and I'll be sure to let all you lovely ladies know how it went!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

diannab
founder member of the ZaftigMomma appreciation Society : )

Away..... stalking..... will return shortly......

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2006 07:05:17 AM »

I don't know where you live but there is a class here in Toronto and it costs $250 CAD. It says that the kit to make 1-2 bras is available from the instructor but doesn't say how much. I'll be taking this class eventually and I'll be sure to let all you lovely ladies know how it went!

That sounds very expensive! I am US so I don't know the exchange rate, but it sounds horrid! LOL I wanna make my bras but don't want to fork out the money for those classes. I taught myself how to sew though, so surely I can wing a bra! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may be out of touch for a few days.my cable company merges we are experiencing lots growing pains!!! Email: diannabishop@yahoo.com
Would you like a Child/baby clothing & gift board?
Kaos

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2006 07:14:38 AM »

That sounds very expensive! I am US so I don't know the exchange rate, but it sounds horrid! LOL I wanna make my bras but don't want to fork out the money for those classes. I taught myself how to sew though, so surely I can wing a bra! Cheesy

I think of it as an investment...I would gladly spend it if it means never again having to shell out $30-$60 for a bra that has underwires poking me after only wearing it for three months. If I never, ever have to go bra shopping again it'll be worth it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

diannab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2006 07:47:03 AM »

That is a good point Kaos. I thought I was the only one with the underwire poking after three months of use! Whew! lol what a relief! Sometimes the stores and bra shops make me feel like such a chub tub. They keep telling me if the underwire has problems after only three months it is because I don't care for it properly. I get so mift! I hand wash and flat dry!!!!!!!!!!! What more do you people want from me?!?!?!?!? Cheesy I swear if I can get the hang of bras I will make comfy ones for larger women (AND I DO MEAN ABOVE 38 DD)! How is 38 DD the largest most stores go?!?! Where do these people that get massive implants go bra shopping?!? <----That is a question my mom asked a lady at the Hanes Bali Playtex outlet one time! I was soooo embarrassed! (obviously I was the only girlie in the fam to ever get bigger than a C cup!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may be out of touch for a few days.my cable company merges we are experiencing lots growing pains!!! Email: diannabishop@yahoo.com
Kaos

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2006 07:51:12 AM »

That is a good point Kaos. I thought I was the only one with the underwire poking after three months of use! Whew! lol what a relief! Sometimes the stores and bra shops make me feel like such a chub tub. They keep telling me if the underwire has problems after only three months it is because I don't care for it properly. I get so mift! I hand wash and flat dry!!!!!!!!!!! What more do you people want from me?!?!?!?!? Cheesy I swear if I can get the hang of bras I will make comfy ones for larger women (AND I DO MEAN ABOVE 38 DD)! How is 38 DD the largest most stores go?!?! Where do these people that get massive implants go bra shopping?!? <----That is a question my mom asked a lady at the Hanes Bali Playtex outlet one time! I was soooo embarrassed! (obviously I was the only girlie in the fam to ever get bigger than a C cup!)

Lol. Your mom's a trip! I bought a bra from Torrid that seems to be holding up faily well and the manager told me that if it broke I could bring it back (that goes for all their stuff so keep your tags!) But it's such a pain in the arse. The other thing is: I have big boobs...they are my best asset...no i do NOT want a granny bra that comes up to my neck...I would like a pluge line please that shows some cleavage! I figure if I take this class I can make them how I like and be uncomfortable no more!!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2006 08:18:44 AM »

Anna StClaire does bra classes (for American Sewing Guild at least) her class ran $80 and you got two bras and a pattern fitted to you out of the deal.

At the time I didn't have the cash, but when it comes around again I think I will.  Not cheap, but to have a bra that FITS and is in a fabric I like, colors I like etc... I can find the bits to make a bra but have no idea how to put them together, so if she teaches again in my area I'm signing up,.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
diannab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2006 08:58:34 AM »

Lol. Your mom's a trip! I bought a bra from Torrid that seems to be holding up faily well and the manager told me that if it broke I could bring it back (that goes for all their stuff so keep your tags!) But it's such a pain in the arse. The other thing is: I have big boobs...they are my best asset...no i do NOT want a granny bra that comes up to my neck...I would like a pluge line please that shows some cleavage! I figure if I take this class I can make them how I like and be uncomfortable no more!!!  Grin

Woohoo! I am so glad to find I am not the only one who hates lunch room lady bras! (aka minimizers!)... why try to hide em when you love em. As for my best assett, my boobs then my eyes!!! Cheesy LOL I love cleavage! Spesh since mine are natural!

Anna StClaire does bra classes (for American Sewing Guild at least) her class ran $80 and you got two bras and a pattern fitted to you out of the deal.

At the time I didn't have the cash, but when it comes around again I think I will.  Not cheap, but to have a bra that FITS and is in a fabric I like, colors I like etc... I can find the bits to make a bra but have no idea how to put them together, so if she teaches again in my area I'm signing up,.

Mieka

Mieka,
do they go around the states? Do they ever come to Georgia??? That is a darn good deal!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gingembre
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2006 09:28:27 AM »

"bcgrote says: "I'm soooo with you all!  It's depressing:  white, black, beige.  We like cute bras too!"
Exactly! Pretty underwear for all, I say!"

Aaaaah let me tell you, possibly even harder than finding a plus-size bra that is cute (luckily for my large-bosomed sister, she cares only that is is all-cotton LOL) is finding sexy nursing bras!! Last I checked the one place that did cute ones was no longer showing up on the web. (De Ma Vie) I just gave up eventually. :-(

Good luck with making them! I can't wait to see the results - I am off clicking all the links thus far myself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LJ
MySpace
Swap Partner Info
Just started a wist: (coming soon)

***Personal Swap Friendly!***
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pre-Walker Baby Shoes
3 Ideas of Tops For Girls
Understanding Baby Clothing Sizes
Top Three Sun Hats for Babies
What Clothes to Buy Your Baby Before Knowing the Gender
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...