A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,923
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bad Idea???  (Read 1696 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Legal_Beagle
« on: February 09, 2012 12:56:46 PM »

I am going to Barrister's Ball in April. It's basically prom for Law School students. Now seeing as I never went to prom and have the love of my life to go with me I am ecstatic. However, I have been investigating dresses and I don't like many that are out there to buy. I am full sized, between a 16-18. I am losing weight but I want to make something spectacular. This is where all of you come in!! Here are some of the patterns I like...

http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v8358-products-5828.php?page_id=859

http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v1047-products-8856.php?page_id=858

http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v8729-products-14168.php?page_id=943

http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v2962-products-8314.php?page_id=943

The last one is my favorite. My mother thinks that it is too old fashion. Basically I want a show stopper! Something beautiful and wonderful. I have just started sewing, but my brother is a pro. Any ideas that people think are gorgeous would be greatly appreciated!! I'm going for something elegant and red carpet-esque. Hence making it rather than buying one! Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012 03:31:35 PM »

I like the last one best as well.

I wouldn't go for either of the first 2, I think, loosing weight, if you're anything like me, your skin will be a little loose on you and neither of those would flatter that. And no. 8729 seems a bit too bridal to me.

Of course, you may be loosing weight slow enough to not have loose skin, in which case my objection to the first 2 will be invalid.

As usual, I reserve the right to be wrong. My opinions only, worth what you paid for them.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
World.Of.Hoard-Craft
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012 12:44:42 PM »

I think it depends on your body type, if you are hourglass shaped, I would go with the last one, where if you are more apple or straight up and down shaped, I would say I like the first one.
No matter how much I weighed, I have a big booty and can say that dress #1 DOES NOT look good on that body type LOL.
For show-stopping, why not try some color? I don't know what colors you look good in, but red or purple are always nice... a lot of ladies will be wearing blah black, and so color really stands out
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Blog for crafty inspiration
http://worldofhoardcraft.blogspot.com/
Legal_Beagle
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012 02:29:13 PM »

Thank you both for the response. An update: I have a large behind, sizable breasts, and am working on the tummy. So I'm somewhere between an hourglass and a block. I am considering color. My brother and I are going to test out patterns over my Spring break. Thanks for all the help!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
charlieandwillow

Professional viking-tamer & bear-wrangler.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012 12:07:41 PM »

The last one, absolutely the last one. If you're almost hourglass-y, it will totally nip you in at the waist with that wide, fitted waistband. The deep V neckline will flatter a larger chest, and the skirts with petticoats underneath will provide volume to balance you out and that much fabric sweeping around you will be spectacular. Avoid #3 if you are larger of boob, since that neckline will give you a monoboob of epic proportion. I think #2 is a non-starter; if I'm being brutally honest I think it's kind of ugly. Also, without a degree in engineering to fabricate some kind of scaffolding in there, I think you're going to run into boob-age issues. #1 is cute enough, but it seems a bit blah really.
Which ever you go for, the key to a showstopping appearance is to make sure the thing fits you like a glove and is perfectly finished A quality fabric will really pay off, especially as the majority of store-bought gowns don't exactly employ the highest quality of component. And wear it with your head held high knowing that you look bloody amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Legal_Beagle
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012 10:01:48 AM »

Thanks for the advice!!! I am going to make a practice version this weekend!! We will see how that goes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take Nude Portraits
Marty Stuart Photography Slideshow
Insta Photographers - Are Apps Like Instagram Ruining Photography?
Insta Photographers
Inside Out Project: When Life Becomes Art
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...