A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
402 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Barter your way Swap  (Read 410 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« on: September 01, 2006 06:24:09 PM »

I was just thinking - would it be cool to get a group of people to join a swap - and then get assigned a partner - then from all the people that have joined up - find a person in that group to craft for your partner - and each person can only craft for one person - but the person that asked you to craft for someone has to send a thank you gift?

I thought it might be fun - put up a sign up list - have people join - assign partners randomly - then people would have a week to barter their way..

So person A is partnered with person B - Person A thinks that person B might like a purse, but person A can't sew - so she asks a few people in the swap - if you make Person B a purse, I will make you a knit scarf... give a month for crafting(since everyone will be making 2 things - one for someone else's partner and one for the person that they asked to craft for their partner)

I think it would be pretty fun.  I wouldn't mind organizing this one.  It does sound like it could be an organizational nightmare - but not too bad of one -

Once people find the person that will craft and send to their prospective partner then they will pm the organizer who will list up who is partnered with who and who will be sending to who - but not what they are sending as that would be a cool surprise!

Any thoughts on my absolutely insane idea?  It is quite alright to say that I am on crack and should give up on such maddening thoughts - but I just thought it would be a fun thing to do - kind of weird - having to barter your way to get someone to craft... but it could be fun!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
knitwit

The cookie thief

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006 10:03:59 PM »

craftydeb - you are a very original thinker! I love it.

When I read this, at first I thought, huh? It is a bit complicated, but it could be a lot of fun. It would be fun to try to surprise your partner. But what if you are capable of making something for them? Do you find a barter partner anyway? What if it doesn't all line up numbers-wise? Meaning, what if one person never gets asked to craft for someone? You know what I mean? Just a thought. I like bartering and surprises though! That seems cool. I'd try it.

Good luck.

ps - I also enjoyed peeking in on your backwards swap. I thought that was a really good idea and was surprised it didn't go on and on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006 05:03:39 AM »

I think the organizer would just step back and wait just in case someone was odd man out - but I would hope that it wouldn't happen...
I think it could  be fun as well - as people would message you and ask hey, could you make this or that and in return I would make you this or that... and see how it would happen... I think even if you thought you wanted to make something for your partner you would still need to pass that person along - that would be the idea of it - it is pretty much - just finding someone else to make something for your person...

I know it is a bit on the weird side.
THe backwards swap I think needs a little tlc - it didn't move as quickly as I had hoped it would - I dont' think there was enough participation in it to really make it work.  I am hoping to revamp it and put up a delay in the sign up/start so that people can craft to get into it - and see if that helps it at all.  It was a fun swap overall - even though we sadly do have one package lost in transit going out of country.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
kiwitart
Angry Pixie

Writing is like butterfly soup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006 01:54:19 PM »

I think the barter swap sounds fun, although I do think it sounds like an organizing nightmare too. I want to praticipate and see how it turns out!

Backwards swap? What was this? Now I'm uber-curious... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 9/11
How to Crochet a Jagged Chevron Part 1/5
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 7/11
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 5/11
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 3/11
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...