A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,689
Currently Running With Scissors:
787 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dessert sushi ideas needed....  (Read 3457 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kemerald14

Gimme a bweak... can't touch this!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006 10:46:34 AM »

check out frooshi.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where's the yellow button! Whoa, whose car is that.. it's a beast!
afterthesparks

peachy keen, jelly bean

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006 11:21:24 AM »

I volunteered at a fancy-schmancy art auction last spring, and they had sushi that had sweet rice and something that I think was seaweed, but didn't taste like it and the sushi roll was filled with cream cheese, strawberries, and other sweet things. They had individual "soy sauce" containers that were really just melted chocolate. It was delicious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rise up, wise up, say it loud 'soul, i will not lie to you' - Tegan and Sara
Miss_Vicki

"Oh my stars and garters!"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006 04:36:15 PM »

Miss Vicky--I had thought about that, doing some kind of rice pudding with custard egg for tamago.  But I wasn't sure how to make the custard thick enough to slice.  I've never had a vanilla slice, so if you have a recipe for that, I'd love it too Smiley
  Holey Moley!  You have never had a vanilla slice  Shocked wow.  Well, I don't have a vanilla slice recipe, well not on me, but it is kind in my head anyway.  Firstly, do you guys have custard powder available in the US (well, I'm assuming you are from the US)?  Yup, token Aussie here, just in case you couldn't tell by my slip up in my previous post when I mentioned a lamington tray.  I guess, if you guys have those you'd call them something else.  They are a rectangular baking tray with sides about somewhere between 3 and 6 cm deep.  Err, thats similar to about an inch or two for you guys (what the heck, it was only an estimate in the first place).  Anyway, custard powder (ours anyhow) is basically cornflour with vanilla flavour and yellow colour added.  To make vanilla slice you make up the powder according to the directions on the box, except you go absolutely nuts with the powder and that will make it set like vanilla custard flavoured jelly.  For example, if the recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of powder, then I'd probably use at least a whole cup of it, which makes it ridiculously thick, then instead of eating it hot like you normally do, you let it cool in the tray (smooth it flat first).  Then it will be sliceable (or if it is to be a vanilla slice, slap a sheet of cooked puff pastry above and below, ice the top, then slice about 6x10inch size).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart Hank McCoy

http://www.wists.com/Miss_Vicki                     http://missvicki.wordpress.com/
Miss_Vicki

"Oh my stars and garters!"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006 04:38:57 PM »

Tamago, I think you mean?
Yeah, tamago Yaki, thats it.  Thank you.  I love your ideas, sushiful.  I think I will have to try out some of thiss stuff soon.  It is all making me hungry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart Hank McCoy

http://www.wists.com/Miss_Vicki                     http://missvicki.wordpress.com/
fleur_delicious
grad student by day, painter/stitcher by night.

i like contrast

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2006 06:07:10 PM »

here's another fun thing: check out moshi desserts! They are a bit more authentic, and they come in ALL different colours/shapes/flavours. (Mochi flour is white, so it is easy to dye with food colour)

Mochi is basically sweet rice flour. You could get it at a specialty store, asian grocery, or just look for rice flour in bulk, etc. Look online or check your library for different mochi recipes. A favorite here in Seattle (with a significant Japanese population) is mochi ice cream balls - mochi is wrapped around balls of ice cream. mmmm. My favorite is sweet red bean curd (adzuki bean) flavour, yum yum.

However, mochi is also made into bars, layered like little cakes...I have one cookbook (packed right now for the move, sorry), and it's crazy what they do with it! Think petit fours on crack. I bet it would really be a hit at your party!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all of this, calm and reasonable as it was, made out of ordinary things as it was, was the truth now; beauty, that was the truth now. Beauty was everywhere. - Virginia Woolf

follow my adventures in making here:
http://www.pacificrain.blogspot.com
craft-matic
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2006 07:42:35 AM »

Thanks so much for all the ideas, everyone!

So here's what I wound up doing (with recipes for anyone who's interested).

Coconut candy filled with guava paste and mango paste, rolled in chocolate.

Candy:

1 lb sweetened coconut
1 lb unsweetened coconut
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup ground pecans
1/2 tsp salt
1 to 2 cups powdered sugar

Mix everything together except the sugar.  Add sugar 1/4 cup at a time and mix in until the candy is the consistency to be easily rolled.

Scoop candy onto pieces of freezer paper that has been sprayed with cooking oil (works better than wax paper), in a long mound.  Spray oil on hands and flatten out candy until it is about two inches wide, 1/3 inch high, and a foot in length.  Slice a 1/3 inch square of mango paste (1/3 inch X 1/3 inch X 12 inches).  place in the middle of candy, and wrap up into a sushi roll.  Roll up in freezer paper and freeze a couple hours.  Then open up.  Leave the roll on the paper, and scoop melted chocolate around the roll, fairly liberally.  Roll the roll around a little and keep adding chocolate until the whole roll is covered.  Then wrap up again, and freeze another couple hours.  When it's frozen, unwrap and slice.  To keep the chocolate from breaking as you cut, make sure you have hot water on hand to keep the knife warm, or else use a serated bread knife and slice slowly. 

For inside out rolls, lay out a little bit more candy in a mound (on sprayed freezer paper).  Spray top of candy and smoosh out with hands.  Maybe use a rolling pin if you want.  Roll out to 12" X 6" X 1/4".  Lay a strip of mango or guava paste on square about 1/2" in from left edge.  Spread melted chocolate on candy rectangle, starting at 1" in from the left edge, or a little further, up to 1/2" from right edge.  Go all the way to top and bottom edges.  Lift the left edge of the freezer paper and sort of scoot the candy off, so that it wraps around the guava paste, then keep rolling, using the freezer paper to help.  When the candy is rolled up, wrap tightly in freezer paper and freeze until it's firm, then slice as above.

I also did this with marzipan.  I filled them with mango and guava, and then drizzled melted white chocolate died green and orange (for avocado and carrot) down the center before rolling, coating in chocolate, freezing, and cutting.

Finally, I did sweet rice puddings topped with flan.  I made flan using about half the liquid in the recipe.  No caramel sauce though, just the custard.  I poured into a pan and chilled, such that it's about 1/2" thick.  Then I prepared thai sticky rice according to internet instructions.  Except that I didn't read the instructions until the day of, and therefore couldn't soak the rice ahead of time for as long as they said.  So instead I rinsed it well, and soaked it in three rounds of boiling water over the course of about three and a half hours.  Then I steamed in cheesecloth in a collander over a pot of water (boiled then reduced to medium heat) with a lid set into the collander.  As it cooked, to make sure the top water steamed well, I pour a little water over the rice twice during cooking. 

I made three and a half cups of rice (measured dry).  When cooked, I added half a can of sweetened condensed milk and half a can of coconut milk.  This made a sticky, lightly sweet rice mixture.  I formed it into nigiri mounds and topped with rectangles cut from the flan, and drizzled chocolate over.  I also made some with sliced lotus cake, and made some with just mango and guava on top, using either drizzled chocolate, strips of guava paste, or both, to look like the nori strips. 

I served this all with green tea/mint ice cream and ganache dipping sauce. 

The ice cream recipe I made up.  Here it is:

Pour 2 cups of whipping cream and 2 cups of half and half into a stainless steel pot.  Add ten green tea mint bags and heat to scalding, stirring to prevent clumping.  Remove from heat and let steep.  Meanwhile, cream eight egg yolks with 3/4 cup sugar and a tsp vanilla. Remove tea bags from cream, pressing out as much liquid as possible.  Add a cup or so of hot cream to egg yolks, stirring in, then add all egg yolks to the pot with the cream.  Stir everything in, and heat over medium, stirring constantly (preferably with a silicone spoon), until the custard reads 170 on a candy thermometer.   This is important, because you want to make sure the eggs are cooked.  If you don't have a candy thermometer, it's worth getting one (I avoided it for years, thinking I didn't need one, then when I finally figured out they were only a couple dollars, I kicked myself, having at one point ruined about $30 of failed candy for lack of one).  Once custard is cooked, cool in the fridge until well chilled.  Strain into the cannister of an ice cream maker (to keep out little bits of skin). 

For chocolate ganache, this is the recipe I've found is best.  It makes a good dipping sauce, and is a perfect chocolate fudge, too.  I've tried ganaches with all kinds of fancy and expensive chocolate, and I like Hershey's best, believe it or not.  Cook's Illustrated taste test agrees.  If you must have organic, Dagoba is the only one I like for ganache.

1 lb Hershey's Special Dark Bar
1 lb Hershey's Symphony Bar
2 cups whipping cream
3 tblsp corn syrup or butter-flavor pancake syrup

Melt chocolate in a "double-boiler" (I just use a metal bowl over a regular stock pot).  Stir in cream and corn syrup.  Mix thoroughly.  Voila. 

So that's what I made.  Someone at the party took some pictures, which, if I get copies, I will post.  This was a lot of work, but great fun, and the desserts were a huge hit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Messily

do something pretty while you can

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2006 02:51:59 PM »

I know it's after the fact, but there's a great post on notmartha.org about dessert sushi -- she used Clare Crespo's Twinkie sushi recipe, and also made Swedish fish sushi.  (I am such a sucker for Swedish fish!)

http://www.notmartha.org/tomake/hostesssushi.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KatintheCappello
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2006 11:38:57 PM »

cream cheese, fruit jelly & thick chocolate pudding with either real rice or rice krispy treats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katarina's Closet - Custom Crochet and Craft shop
arimethia
The likes of you

Look out, Portland. I'm so indie.

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2006 05:58:33 PM »

We actually had a unagi roll that makes a darn good dessert at Java Sushi in Truckee, CA.

unagi, white chocolate, macadamia nuts, and eel sauce on rice and baked. So freakin' good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sweetttart3

Tea and Cake or Death

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2006 08:11:29 AM »

Even though craft-matic no longer needs help, I thought I'd share with anyone interested. I found this in a magazine a while back and have always wanted to try it.

Coconut Frushi

1 1/4 cups water
1 cup uncooked sushi rice or other short grain rice
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup light coconut milk
Dash of salt
Cooking spray
10 orange sections
20 fresh rasberries
1 (6 ounce) container fat free vanilla yogurt

1.) Bring water and rice to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until water is almost absorbed. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 15 minutes.
2.) Place rice in a large bowl. Add sugar, coconut milk, and salt, stirring gently until well combined. Cover and let stand 20 minutes.
3.) Lightly coat hands with cooking spray. Divide rice mixture into 20 equal portions, shaping each into a ball (about 1 rounded tablespoon each). Lightly press each rice ball into an oval on a baking sheet lined with wax paper . Top each of 10 ovals with 1 orange section, pressing gently to adhere.  (If it won't stick, use a dab of honey.) Top the remaining 10 sections with 2 rasberries. Cover and chill until ready to serve. Serve with yogurt for dipping.

You can try this with other fruits but this is just what the recipe suggested. And if you want to be really crazy try dipping it into other flavored yogurt or melted chocolate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Damn the man, Save the Empire!

http://www.wists.com/Sweetttart3

I wanna personal swap!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Navigate in Blender
How to Load & Save in Blender
How to UV Map in Blender
How to Use Basic Key Framing and IPO Curves in Blender
How to Model with Subserfs in Blender
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...