A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,386
Currently Running With Scissors:
511 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dessert sushi ideas needed....  (Read 4012 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craft-matic
« on: August 21, 2006 02:39:25 PM »

Hi everyone,

So my friend is having a Japanese-themed birthday party.  I'm in charge of desserts, and want to do sushi-look-alike dessert foods.  I've seen some of the snack cake sushi items around.  The ones with gummi worms and fruit roll-ups are awfully cute, but everyone reports that they don't taste as good as they might.  I want to make dessert sushi things that taste gourmet, too.  I have a few ideas for the rice and nori, but I'm looking for ideas for filling and garnish.  Here's what I have so far:

Marzipan "rice" with chocolate "nori" and guava-paste "tuna"

Coconut candy (a la mounds bar) "rice" mounds with chocolate "nori" and white chocolate "egg" dyed yellow, with some kind of flavor (don't know what)

Rice-krispie treat "rice" mounds....fI can't think of anything to top them with that looks convincing and also tastes good with rice krispies, and works to look like nigiri.  :/

For the marzipan and/or coconut "rolls" I figured I could use dried fruit for some of the fillings, and maybe real mango with the coconut. 

For wasabi, I'll just dye some marzipan green.  For ginger, I'll thin-slice candied ginger, and maybe use some candied papaya too.

I was thinking about doing a chocolate ganache in a miso-cup for dipping sauce.

If any of you have any other fantastic ideas for things that look like fish and taste good with chocolate, coconut and/or almond, I'd love to hear them. 

Thanks a bunch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Vampiress92
Magical unicorn

Obsessed with shiney things since 2000

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006 03:37:02 PM »

http://www.chocolatesushi.com/home.html how about something like that? Brownies topped with icing to look like sushi? I dunno. Just a thought...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sushiful
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006 03:42:21 PM »

You could always serve real Japanese desserts; try (making?) ginger or green tea icecream, and maybe serve it with fried bananas over real sushi rice.
It is delicious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ladybugz1125
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006 04:54:35 PM »

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_28960,00.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kemerald14

Gimme a bweak... can't touch this!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006 05:32:42 PM »

these are so cute!

http://homepage.mac.com/galemeyer/PhotoAlbum13.html

here are lots of ideas!

http://www.notmartha.org/tomake/hostesssushi.html

scroll down and click on red words to see dessert sushi sites
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where's the yellow button! Whoa, whose car is that.. it's a beast!
Miss_Vicki

"Oh my stars and garters!"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006 07:15:31 PM »

OK.  How about actual sweet sushi (no meat).  I have been thinking about experimenting with desert risotto of late.  It kind of relates to this.  The suhi type I am thinking of are the ones that are a little rectangle of rice with a rectangle of egg omlette type stuff on the top and they have a nori belt to hold them together.  I am sorry I don't know the name, I hope someone else can help with that. 

So to do it cook up aborio rice in milk and sugar, and maybe a little cornflour, simmer it down untill it is like a risotto, or maybe a little drier on second thought, so it is llike sushi rice (duh!).  When it is cool it can be shaped in to the bottom part of the sushi.

Now, for the egg top part you could make up a really really think custard (the yellow powdered sort) like you would for vanilla slice.  Let that set about 1/2 inch to 1 inch thick in a lamington pan.  then when it is cool it can be cut up just like the rice.  place the little custard egg bits on top of the little rice pudding bits and wrap with strips of green paper cut from green rice paper or green patty cake papers.

I think this would be really yummy and would very closely resemble the real thing in texture as well as looks.  So, um, did any of that make sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart Hank McCoy

http://www.wists.com/Miss_Vicki                     http://missvicki.wordpress.com/
Sushiful
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006 10:57:16 PM »

The suhi type I am thinking of are the ones that are a little rectangle of rice with a rectangle of egg omlette type stuff on the top and they have a nori belt to hold them together.  I am sorry I don't know the name, I hope someone else can help with that. 

Tamago, I think you mean?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft-matic
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006 06:55:18 AM »

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for the wonderful ideas!

Sushiful--that's a great idea.  I'd actually thought already about serving a green-tea ice-cream.  If you have any recipes, I'd love to hear them Smiley

Miss Vicky--I had thought about that, doing some kind of rice pudding with custard egg for tamago.  But I wasn't sure how to make the custard thick enough to slice.  I've never had a vanilla slice, so if you have a recipe for that, I'd love it too Smiley

Keep the ideas coming!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006 08:29:31 AM »

What about strips of dried mango or papaya for on top of your rice krispie nigiri? It may be harder to find than chunks but it would be good with the marshmallow and rice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
KristyGuna
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006 10:01:07 AM »

At Orange, a restaurant in Chicago, they serve a dish that's call "frushi" which is basically sweet sticky rice with fruit and confections on top in the shape of sushi.  I seem to remember one with pinapple and coconut on top of sweet sticky rice with a little bit of chocolate sauce.  I can't remember any of the other combos other than it was mighty tasty.  If you google "frushi" you'll get a lot of pictures and recipes to work with.   Best of luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists!

<Insert insightful, meaningful or funny quote here>

I do personal swaps!  PM me for info.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Gordon Matta Clark and Rirkrit Tiravanija at David Zwirner
Tony Matelli, New Works, Leo Koenig Gallery
Tobias Buche, at Lehmann Maupin
How to Make a Paper Mache Baby Dragon
How to Make a Paper Mache Fishwichwich
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Kitchen Dishtowels with Fabric Accents
Tomato/Tomahto
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...