A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,898
Currently Running With Scissors:
482 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: If you love Mendelsons....(Dayton)  (Read 1915 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

plockmatic60
« on: August 21, 2006 01:39:03 PM »

If you  go to Mendelsons Liquidation Outlet and see works of art in progress...

If you see an eggshell and think, "I could put some apoxy resin on that and make a sweet necklace...

If you see the potential for art in everything, we shoulda been hanging out months ago!

Okay, so after reviewing this board I see alot of crafsters wanting to get together, but it's not working out for one reason or another and that is just sad! Are we afraid to meet new people? Are we intimidated? Lazy? NO! (okay, maybe...)
I will host a craft party on September 8th at my place. That's 2.5 weeks away! Plety of time to get stoked about it! I live in the SouthPark area if you are familiar, and I will post a flyer if I get responses. Hell, maybe we know each other. (I can imagine folks showing up at my house and us being like, hey, I know you)

So here is a glimpse into my crafty mind: I like to make puppets, handbags, I especially like making anything from found objects, painter, Jeez, anthing really! Way too much to list. I can't knit or crochet, but you could teach me!

I'm 26, proud mommy of a 5 month old, have 1 dog, 5 cats,1 boyfriend, and a partridge in a pear tree.

I'll supply wine, food, and tons of supplies! I work in a sign shop so's I have mad access to banner, adhesive vinyl, acrylic, foam pvc, corrugated plastic, etc....all you have to bring is yourself! optional things to bring would be: a friend, your own drink to ensure there's plenty, and anything you want to throw into a pile for others to get their craft on with. You could walk into my house with nada and leave with a handbag, a screw sculpture, wine lips, and a happy heart!

Who cares how old you are! Come anyway! Being creative knows no age limits!

I will host the party whether or not anyone from craftster decides to come, i know a few folks who would be interested and a few folks who always show up at my house with the promise of food and drinks! But how great would it be to meet some of you?

SO come on! Let me know if you're interested! It'll be freakin awesome!

(I have never made a screw sculpture, but I will if you will)

« Last Edit: August 21, 2006 02:15:35 PM by plockmatic60 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
plockmatic60
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006 04:02:12 PM »

Well, hell, at least I tried...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leeska
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006 02:55:24 PM »

Gosh darnit! I missed your party by a day! I suck, that I don't check this board enough.  I live in the dayton area and your crafting parties sound real cool.  If your having another one let me know....you going to the yellowsprings street fair in October? I know I will Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swap it like it's HOT...I do personal swaps.

http://www.wists.com/Leeska
Miz Spike
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006 08:29:04 AM »

Gee. Just found your post, and almost didn't read it because I DON"T love Mendelson's. I find it dirty, unorganized, badly lit and overpriced. I am in awe of the store's ability to get good press.

But I am a Dayton area crafter and was beginning to think I might be the only one.

Can we try again in the spring? I am in the middle of a move/separation and am planning an estate sale to transform an unwield amount of possessions into something I can handle.

Laura
THIS ROCKS   Logged
plockmatic60
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006 01:27:09 PM »

Gosh darnit! I missed your party by a day! I suck, that I don't check this board enough.  I live in the dayton area and your crafting parties sound real cool.  If your having another one let me know....you going to the yellowsprings street fair in October? I know I will Smiley

Yes! I will be at the Yellow Springs Street fair! I Will have a booth there! I'm doing a benefit for my mom (cancer survivor). Look for it, I think it's in front of the import house. It'll be the "Margie Becker Benefit". Stop by and say hello! I'm Mindy. Thanks for the reply!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
plockmatic60
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006 01:31:47 PM »

Gee. Just found your post, and almost didn't read it because I DON"T love Mendelson's. I find it dirty, unorganized, badly lit and overpriced. I am in awe of the store's ability to get good press.

Aww...all the reasons I love Mendelson's! I never thought them to be overpriced, and I'm the kinda gal who loves sifting through boxes and crates and aisles of dirty stuff to find gold!, I guess if you were  going for something specific, it would be very frustrating. I'll post for the next paty, hope you can make it!

Mindy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miz Spike
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006 06:00:18 AM »

I liked the Goodwill Discount Outlet on Kuntz Road. Before they moved to the Airway shopping Center, they had rows of boxes 2 bins wide. Now they have 4 bines across, and lower. As I am not 7 feet tall with the arms of an orangutang, I find it less fun, but full all the same.

I got great beads when someone gave Goodwill the remnants of a seed beading project, and masses of polyform clay when someone else decided the craft was not for him/her.  In NY, I tried candle making for cheap, and didn't feel bad at all when I donated the stuff back.

Sorting through oodles of dirty stuff is fine, if I am not expected to pay discount store prices for it.

Laura
THIS ROCKS   Logged
motleycruiser
Anitsocial Butterfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006 08:52:47 AM »

I missed it too..... Angry

If enough people are interested I can host one too...although my house is small so I tend to throw parties in the summer so we can use the yard

Ohh & I love mendelsons too....they loose points iin price but make up for it in weird WTF is this items
THIS ROCKS   Logged

saralynne
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006 07:05:07 PM »

I way missed your crafty get together. Sad

But for anyone who's interested, I'm going to start hosting weekly get-togethers at my place because I couldnt find another one to go to.
I live near the Oregon District, and there's plenty of free and safe and easy parking here. It'll be on Tuesdays, 6:30ish.

Here's the original link:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=135561.0

Plase message me for more info. I'd love to meet other Dayton crafters.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Big Game Snackers with Chef Jill Houk
Brunch for a Bunch with Chef Cat De Orio
Charcoal Grill Barbecue Demo
Red, White, and Blue Dog by Chef Cat De Orio
Potato Salad with Hot Smoked Sausage by Chef Jill
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...