A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sigh....why is all my crafting not turning out?  (Read 1200 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

reefundine
« on: December 05, 2006 06:34:42 PM »

I don't know why, but all my crafting turns out badly. I love crafting...but the finished product is never right, or I have to stop in the middle because I messed it up to bad. It's so discouraging.

Maybe because I've never been shown how to do anything, besides what I've seen online? I don't know.

Just right now I was trying out my first stencil (was trying to stencil Trogdor on a shirt for my boyfriend) and I was cutting out the stencil, and I guess I don't know where to place the islands, because the finished cut out just turned into a blobby mess.

The other day I was trying to crochet these birds http://www.marloscrochetcorner.com/birds.html and I was almost at the end and it looked nothing like a bird. I've been crocheting for a couple of years, but I don't think I do it right since only a few of my projects turn out.

I know crafting takes practice, but it's so dissapointing when project after project don't turn out.

Sorry just needed to vent a bit  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kidcompassion

get down off your high horse and buy me a taco.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006 12:08:14 PM »

i totally feel your pain!!!! when it comes to crocheting and stuff, i have a similar problem - but i have recently found that it was because in my excitement to make something, i don't always (okay, EVER) take time to check gauge, or even ensure i used to the proper sized needles/hooks or proper weight wool. so i too have plenty of "well that was supposed to be" projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IamSusie
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006 12:14:51 PM »

Hang in there... The first time I try a new thing, I just think of it as a prototype. 

Everyone pulls apart projects or leaves them totally unfinished when they don't seem to be going well.  Just today I think I ruined an embroidery project by"enhancing" it with fabric crayons.   Alas...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kmsmaverick
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006 12:32:47 PM »

everyone messes something up. don't be discouraged. think of them as sentimental favorites. i have a whole bunch of first time projects that i use every day- sometimes i use and like them more than when they come out correctly.

as for the stencil- sometimes working with stencils is best approached like wading into the ocean. start out with a large block sort of shape, on a pillow case, or a canvas carryall. then if it doesn't quite work, who cares? it's still useful!

stencils can be a bit of a how to say- touchy feely sort of craft- the finished product depends on your stencil, the brush, your pressure, the paint you use, even the item receiving the stencil- i.e. a linen napkin vs. a sheet of paper.

i saw this on that show creative juice on diy network the other day. from the look of it it would totally work. that butcher paper is pretty readily available. 
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_candles/article/0,2025,DIY_13748_5123148_03,00.html

don't be discouraged, just give the project a go again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polkaroo
Running with scissors since 1978

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006 01:13:34 PM »

I can totally relate.  As a self-taught crocheter and knitter, I can't begin to tell you how many projects I enthusiastically started only to give up halfway because I just couldn't figure it out.

I guess the best way to look at it is that even if you don't have a perfectly finished product, you've probably got a humourous story to go with it.  The worst disasters always make for the best stories, IMO.

Also, baby steps are a good start.  Start with a stencil that's only one cut-out shape, and once you've mastered that, move on to the more complex ones.  Crochet simple granny squares (ones that use chain and sc or dc all around, nothing else) or anything else that's crocheted primarily with one stitch, and then begin working your way up to more complicated patterns.

It's easy to get carried away seeing the wonderful stuff people post of Craftster sometimes, I know.  You'll get there if you have patience to take it slow and keep learning each time something doesn't turn out quite right.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IamSusie
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006 01:15:52 PM »

It's easy to get carried away seeing the wonderful stuff people post of Craftster

Yeah--- I only post pics of the stuff I have that works out and I really like. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006 03:07:16 PM »

Oh do I know what you mean! Though for me it's more of a crafting "funk" I seem to be going through at the moment. I have been trying to do things the last couple of weeks, and things (even stuff I've done before and am normally good at) just don't want to work out! Highly frustrating, not to mention annoying. Especially now, because I've got several swaps going, and Christmas gifts to finish! Eep!
So yeah, totally feeling your pain. Don't give up though. Take a step back, do something else, then come back to it again later
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cupcake ATM Opens Up in NYC
How to Make a Sheet Tray Cookie Bar
Coconut-Curry Caramel Corn Recipe
Silken-Tofu Chocolate Mousse Recipe
Caramel-Iced Cocoa Cake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...