A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,173
Currently Running With Scissors:
391 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Zero posts!  (Read 11670 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zen_child

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 19, 2004 02:15:58 PM »

I do wonder how many Scottish craftsters there are out there.  I'm from Dundee, myself.  This website has become somewhat of a curse for me; I can't visit then leave, I'll browse for ages and want to have a go at everything.  It kind of annoys me that a lot of the yarns (and lots of other things, considering the high majority of users seem to be American) talked about aren't widely available in the UK (that I've found, anyway) unless you go through the company websites or something, and that can get inordinately expensive (for a teenager with very little money, at least).

So step forward.  Are you Scottish?

(Is this kind of post even allowed in here?  I'm just trying to find out how many of us there are at Craftster.)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004 02:18:08 PM by zen_child » THIS ROCKS   Logged

No, no, art is not for juggling.
Caradea
Tutorial Contributor

former crocheter, avid photographer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004 08:23:20 AM »

I'm not scottish (american expat in London) but you'll find that most American posters will oo and ahh over some of the higher standard yarns we get over here in the UK.
I'm new to craftster too and I have some links for UK people for online yarn sources for those of us far from any yarn/wool shop. I'll post some here just because I can't believe there's no scottish crafters either and these sites should ship to scottyland  Cheesy
http://www.knitting-yarn.co.uk/ Dianne's Knitting Yarn, good for cheaper yarns, DK-weight acrylics for about 99p/100g skein usually. I've used them many times and they're really fast with shipping orders out. Also sells "toy yarn" - 25g skeins of acrylic yarn for 40pence each. Also sells some more expensive "fashion yarns".
http://www.texere.co.uk/ - Texere Yarns, sells some "tops" and fibres for spinning, felting and papermaking, some embroidery floss-type cotton, a few odds and ends of velvet offcuts and lots and lots of different yarns in small balls or large cones. Seem to be reasonably priced and one day I'll stop being such a cheapskate and buy some yarn from them  Lips sealed Lots of chenille yarns which tend to be more common in the US.
http://www.laina-crafts.co.uk/ They have an online shop but I just tried clicking on it and got an error. I hope they haven't stopped their online business because they sold Twilley's Goldfingering - nice super sparkly stuff!
http://www.craftbits.co.uk/ Craft Bits, the craft bits side of Dianne's Knitting Yarn site. I've emailed them before and they can arrange for combined orders from Dianne's Knitting Yarn site and Craft Bits if you want to save a few pence on shipping. They sell black chenille stems! It's the only place I could buy single colour chenille stems from. Also sells rolls of "thonging" if you want to try crocheting/knitting with that.

Um, I hope this helps. I might go and paste this over in the Links section now...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ysolda
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004 06:00:54 AM »

im in scotland, teehe was me that got this baord and then didnt post anything in it... oopsydaisy... i know of one or two ppl on here taht are in scotland, but there must be more
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
vratch
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004 04:36:30 PM »

I'm a Scottish ex-pat living in the USA currently.  That's interesting what someone posted about the yarn. I was surprised by the lack of selection of tempting wools in the USA, I had assumed there would be more choices than in the UK.

If any Scottish folks are trying to get hold of specific craft supplies from the USA I would be willing to post stuff over... in exchange for say some Jaffacakes maybe...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
robotsrock
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004 06:33:53 AM »

in exchange for say some Jaffacakes maybe...

Very strange, a friend of mine was talking about posting Jaffa Cakes to the US the other day!

I'm Scottish and like doing crafty stuff. I had it easy, as for the last year I've worked in a fabric store in Glasgow and we had a fair amount of basic craft and card-making supplies (and the whole Impex catalogue to choose from). There's also a couple of art stores with fairly decent craft supplies nearby. I'm curious to know, what can't you find in Scotland? Remember sometimes things have different names in the US, or are known by the brand name.

xxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Spidette
In the Pillbox Bunker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2004 11:56:53 PM »

Hiya just wanted to say I'm a crafty gal thats in Edinburgh(expat from the states that has decided to come home aka my dads from scotland), and i also was wondering how many of us are out there(in Scotland that is) I would love to know of any craft groups or knitting groups in or around edinburgh. I am so happy that this topic was here yayyyyyy!!!!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy in the Pillbox Bunker http://www.PillboxBunker.etsy.com

And yes I do have a wist http://www.wists.com/Kristakerosene
Cork
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004 04:28:36 AM »

There are orginisations for craft makers. Near to you there is an assosiation of Craft Makers in Fife.

www.made-in-fife.co.uk. Is their website with links to their members sites.

They even publish an A5 sized booklet. And have regular showings.

Enjoy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Suzybeth

Being a woman is hard work.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2004 10:09:36 AM »

hmmm My husband is Scottish, can I peek into the Scottish forum? LOL, I just told him the original poster of this thread was from Dundee,(where he was born) and he said "No Way!" small world, although we live in the US, North Carolina to be exact, we met via the internet about 6 years ago.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights."~~~Maya Angelou
shona
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2005 05:57:18 AM »

Hi
I'm in Scotland ! Maybe the name gave that away!
I'd like to get involved in a knitting group.
One friend is getting into knitting (I'm working on her!), so I guess we could always have a mini snb group!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Karensff
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2005 12:37:42 AM »

Hello,

I'm from Scotland. I can find most of what I need in the stores in Glasgow. If not then definitely at the craft fairs that take place. If I can't wait then I usually just go onto the net.

Karen Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Contour Your Legs
How to Get the Perfect Cat Eye
How to Get Bright Eyes
Make a Customized Lipstick Palette with Pill Cases
How To Get a Natural Flush
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...