So, back in the day when I had an obsession with rainbow colours on a black background, I came up with what I thought was a really cool idea, of having strips of colour on a black bkgrd.. Unfortunately (adn thankfully) my parents didnt allow me to do the black, so I substituted it with navy blue..
Don't mind the mess .. haha.. Artsy ppl are messy right? hopefully the pics arent too fuzzy, i had to condense them to upload them.
1. Get out the handy level and start drawing straight, vertical lines of varying lengths in pencil on the wall (I started with a white wall).
2. In a logical order (r-o-y-g-b-i-v) paint strips of colour with a sponge brush next to each pencil line.
3. Using painter's masking tape, cover the strips of colour but be sure that the ends of the masking tape are jagged (you will have to randomly rip pieces with your fingers - a bit time consuming).
4. After the strips of colour are entirely covered in masking tape, proceed to prime the walls.
5. Two coats of navy blue pant overtop the masking tape+bare white walls
6. Start gingerly peeling the tape back and watch the colours seep through the navy blue!!
You must be very determined if you wish to attempt this. It's a very long project that I dont think i could have completed without the radio, time, and motivation. Don't hesitate to ask questions.