A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,723
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Victorian Lady Question.  (Read 1912 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shylitlegoddess
Jill of most trades

Why is there bacon in the soap??

View Profile WWW
« on: August 18, 2006 01:40:56 PM »

I'm doing my costuming for halloween very Victorian and I need help from someone who's ACTUALLY made victorian costumes before.

What I'm wanting is a Victorian walking dress and then I'm building a bustle to wear on the outside of the skirts that looks like a spider's abdomen. I'm just having problems with the dress part, what to wear, how to wear it, etc.

Can anyone help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006 08:30:48 PM »

I haven't made any Sad but I can't wait to see pix of what you'll make.  It's going to be crazy  Shocked

Maybe this will help... Full Directions for Making the Bodice [and Skirt] of a Walking-Dress, 1896
http://www.tudorlinks.com/treasury/articles/1896walkdressinst.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When life gives you lemons, make cocktails! Grin
shylitlegoddess
Jill of most trades

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006 08:37:59 PM »

I've been looking at that site all day and I NEVER saw that link!

I'm definately going to have to try that, though I think I'm going to take a bit of POOF out of the sleaves.

What do ya think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006 08:43:25 PM »

Ha!  Ya needed to look away for a second, you were staring at it for too long Wink

I don't like the poof that big, but they would be great for storing things in.  Ha Wink

I'm in love with this outfit, the design & the colors...I don't know if you'll like the outfit, but I know you'll love her parasol if you look closely  Smiley  http://www.dracinabox.com/victoutfit.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006 08:48:20 PM »

Oh, be sure to read this too... regarding their patterns, sizing & such http://www.tudorlinks.com/treasury/freepatterns/index.html

Then if ya go to the bottom there are more links for patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shylitlegoddess
Jill of most trades

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006 08:56:12 PM »

Ha!  Ya needed to look away for a second, you were staring at it for too long Wink

I don't like the poof that big, but they would be great for storing things in.  Ha Wink

I'm in love with this outfit, the design & the colors...I don't know if you'll like the outfit, but I know you'll love her parasol if you look closely  Smiley  http://www.dracinabox.com/victoutfit.htm

AHHH How totally awsome. I've read a tutorial about making a parasol it'll be SUPER easy! and embroyder a little spider on it for fun!

I made a skirt like this petticoat out of a black crushed velvet. http://www.tudorlinks.com/treasury/freepatterns/w1872petticoat.html

I don't have a decent pic of it unfortunately because my camera hates me. I may make another petticoat like that to wear under my spider bustle, then I just have to worry about the top half (something like this one http://www.tudorlinks.com/treasury/freepatterns/pe187412wviolinbod.html)  and some kind of apron type addition like this: http://trulyvictorian.netfirms.com/catalog/303.html

I'm going to try to go with some kind of a dark, charcoal grey organza or silky something to make it shiney.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006 04:46:04 AM »

Wow!  You have to get a picture of the skirt!  Did you make that for this Halloween or for something else?

I like the apron as well!

It'll all look awesome with organza or something silky - I like the shiny little touches.  I think thats why I like the spiders on the parasol.

You'll be all dressed up...where to go?  Do you go to some of the places downtown?  An old coworker of mine & his wife go to a few of the places for the costume contests.  She usually dresses silly, but he goes all out with latex & and such.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shylitlegoddess
Jill of most trades

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006 08:29:34 AM »

The plan is that there's about 30 of us dressing as Greek Gods, Goddesses, Hero/ines, and people of myth gone Goth and we're going to Outlands, the goth club in town. I don't know of another place to go.

I'm thinking I may have to buy fangs though. I'm going as Arachne, in Victorian Goth, and I want to carry some kind of spinning or weaving project with me that the bouncers won't think is a weapon.

Wow!  You have to get a picture of the skirt!  Did you make that for this Halloween or for something else?

I like the apron as well!

It'll all look awesome with organza or something silky - I like the shiny little touches.  I think thats why I like the spiders on the parasol.

You'll be all dressed up...where to go?  Do you go to some of the places downtown?  An old coworker of mine & his wife go to a few of the places for the costume contests.  She usually dresses silly, but he goes all out with latex & and such.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006 09:00:38 AM »

Yeah, Outlands!  That's where he goes & went for Halloween, too.  Smiley  I think the other places they went to were smaller bars that they frequent.  I have photos from his last year & maybe the year before... I think the year before he showed me the ones on their website maybe.  I'll have to dig 'em up.

Hmm... I'll have to think on the spinning/weaving project that would be bouncer friendly.  That's a tricky one!

I can't wait 'til your costume is done... photos, photos, photos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Hot Holiday Hairstyles
Lazy Girl Hair Hacks
VF NEWS: Ports 1961 Spring/Summer 2015 - Milan Fashion Week
Jennifer Connelly Lets Go of Her Long Hair
How to Create a Runway Ponytail
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...