A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,804
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wire wrapping for nerds! (d20-tastic, pic intense.)  (Read 2962 times)
Tags for this thread: dice  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

the wallaby
Era of the Sea

stirring controversy with a wooden spoon

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2006 02:14:46 PM »

Firstly- this idea is completely stolen. My own wit did NOT birth such a beautiful brainchild. My boyfriend was going to buy one, but when he showed it to me, I said 'Psh, don't buy that. I can totally make it!'

Now I put my money where my mouth is and present to you my first wire wrapping project.

I don't know what gauge the wire is, but you can see how shoddy my 'skills' are when it comes to wire. I hope it doesn't take away from the beauty of the die, because though it's difficult to see, it has irridecent green sparkels that shine when the light hits it. Chessex die.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/apparel/jewelry/7ae3/
^ the original necklace from which the idea was ripped. It's alot more professional, alot more durable, and less expensive than mine. But it's out of stock. Plus, the die I used is one of a set of 7. It would have been less expensive to just buy a d20, but the boyfriend is anal about having complete sets of dice.

Hope you enjoy it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps <3

...Oh fine!
http://www.wists.com/wallaby
ilithiya
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006 03:04:24 PM »

I see nothing that a bit of practice wouldn't help. Smiley  Overall, it's an excellent start.  The weirdness of building a good spiral around a die is difficult, but it does get easier.  I also like that there's barely any plier marks in the wire.

The d20 is the blue Borealis Chessex makes, in case anyone's wondering... I like it mucho much Cheesy  Maybe I should do that with the clear Borealis d10 I don't have the mates for. Cheesy

Illy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--==<*>==--
Swappable at the end of August.  Woo!
*my photobucket: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v482/ilithiya/
*swap profile: http://nyeretari.livejournal.com/115462.html
ffancypantss
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006 03:06:29 PM »

that's cool! i don't think you need a wire wrapping dvd *cough*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let there be songs to fill the air...

www.limabeads.etsy. com
Zelda.Suicide
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006 03:11:50 PM »

very cool, i think it looks great!

so is yours removable like the thinkgeek one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006 04:29:49 PM »

its not crappy! JewelryArtist always seems to find a place to peddle his dvds.  Don't take it personally. Clearly, he hasn't seen the new advertising rule.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
aliciasjoy

my alien kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006 04:51:59 PM »

I think it's good!  My son would probably like something like this, so thanks for the idea.
I was thinking that if you wrapped a marble that was slightly larger than the die, then gently pulled apart the wraps in the middle so the marble would pop out, your die would pop right in. It might be easier than trying to wrap something so many sided.
I'm imagining that's how the store-bought one was removable, nothing fancy, just wire that was thick enough to take the movement.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the wallaby
Era of the Sea

stirring controversy with a wooden spoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006 05:02:15 PM »

I guess mods or someone took off the advert. Thanks for the kind words everyone. I know it's pretty shoddy, and not very round, but again, I don't plan on going into wire wrapping as a business. (My best friend makes jewelry like this semi-professionally, ok? I could have had help if I wanted, I'm just stubborn!)

And yes, it does come out of the cage. This wire holds its shape pretty well. As for plyer marks- it's made nearly 100% by hand. Only used plyers at the top cause it was being persnickety.

One more thing- I didn't technically wrap the die. I sort of freehanded a cage and put the die inside it. Looking back, it would have been much easier to wrap a large marble then put the die inside Tongue Guess I do things the hard way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps <3

...Oh fine!
http://www.wists.com/wallaby
Salrune Naga
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006 05:32:13 PM »

Most impressive girly! Couldnt have done it better myself!

~ huggles ~
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poe poe
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006 11:09:18 AM »

WOW! My husband would love that! (loves rpg's) I saw some coils at michaels, that you could cheat and just put the die in it, but then you wouldn't be getting practice. I've done very little with wire wrapping myself. They have little cheap kits at walmart. Is that how everyone does it; with some sort of kit? What I've done, has been with mostly pliers, and it's turned out...alright I guess, but i don't think I could do something that good without the right tools. What exactally does one need?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.
-Aldo Leoplod-
OrderlyConfused
Oooo'ers-kins

BWAH!....Huh?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006 08:20:57 PM »

That's really cute! I have a friend who has shown me a necklace like that, it might even have been the one from ThinkGeek, but I've never thought of doing it myself. My brother makes chainmail and makes his own rings for it so I'll have to ask him about bending the wire and bum a d20 from my d&d buddies if they have an incomplete set. That's awesome though, great erm rip off? Even though I think THEY ripped it off from Geek who always looked blinged out with his dice like that so he wouldn't lose them lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 14/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 18/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 13/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 12/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 10/30
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...