A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 304,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
528 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help with hair clips...  (Read 1416 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

starstruq

Life is not black and white...it's GOLDEN!

View Profile
« on: December 23, 2003 03:23:56 PM »

hi everyone!  I've been going crazy making fabric and felt flowers for my baby sister...she's been wanting some since she saw one in my hair a while ago.  I usually attatch them to rubber bands and wrap them around a pony, but I want to put some on little clips for her.  I am hoping to use some of those little metal ones that open when you bend them one way and close when you bend them back...did that make sense? Huh

Anyways, I have seen other clips where things were attached with wire threaded through the object and wrapped around the clip.  How do you do that?  What kind of wire do I use?  and How do I thread it through the fabric?  It is wire so I don't think I would be able to use a needle.  

I need serious help.  I want to have these finished my Christmas...I know that it's late but I just decided to try clips.  If anyone could help ASAP, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks so much craftsters!!!  Happy Christmas!!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2003 03:26:52 PM by starstruq » THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you dim your light to let someone else shine...the whole world gets a little bit darker.
comfits
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2003 03:47:29 PM »

actually you can buy really thin wire.  you can find it the jewelry stuff in any craft section.  it will allow you to sew them onto the clips.  you can sew them on before you put the center onto your flower.  it sounds like you might have already made them, though???  you can still do it w/o it being too noticable.  just sew it on like its a button.  it's really hard for me to explain how to sew, so i hope this is enough info for you.  good luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starstruq

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2003 03:58:34 PM »

Thank you for your help!  I still have a few questions...

do I sew it with a needle?  And how thin is thin?  Is there a size I should look for?  How do I tie it off?  Do I do it just like I would if I was using thread or is there a special technique?

I put a pretty bead in the center of my flowers so I think I can just snip it off sew the flower onto the hair clip and then replace the thing.  Or maybe I can just attatch the lower layers of the flower so that the wire won't show.  

Thanks again!  
Starstruq
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you dim your light to let someone else shine...the whole world gets a little bit darker.
starstruq

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2003 04:14:51 PM »

it's me again...do you think it would be okay if I just used thread?  Or would it just break right away?  I was thinking maybe I could hot gue the flower in place and then stitch it onto the clip, wrapping the string around the clip.

What do ya think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missy
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2003 05:21:12 PM »

if you are worried about the thread breakign you could try dental floss. just get some of the clear stuff and sew normally. its a lot stronger.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goddess
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2003 02:41:25 AM »

yup, dentql floss is the nectar of the gods. I have resewn every button on every pair of pantsmy fiance owns with dental floss and those puppies aren't going anywhere. It should hold up well for your purposes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starstruq

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2003 09:53:44 AM »

you girls are so clever  Grin  I never would have thought to use dental floss!  What ever would I do without you!  

Thanks a bunch ladies!
Starstruq
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Screenwriting Card Trick
How to Have Good Audition Etiquette
Final Cut Transitions in Final Cut Pro Tutorial
Above and Below the Line Budgeting
Pulling Focus in Filmmaking
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...