A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Plastic thingies from milk jugs...  (Read 2941 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kraphtee87
« on: August 20, 2006 11:38:00 AM »

I work in the dairy department in WalMart and I stock loads and loads of milk every day, as you can imagine.  Well about 1 in 6 jugs has this plastic piece stuck in where the handle hole is and they pop out realy easily (I'm sorry it's so hard to describe this  Embarrassed).  After a couple weeks working there I thought "I can't keep throwing these away.  There has to be something I can do with them!"  I have at least 200 I'd say.  Maybe more, I don't know.  But I could easily get more.  Anyways, I have no idea what to do with them.  Here's a pic of them.  There are two sizes.  I don't have many of the smaller ones but I have TONS of the big ones as they come in the regular one gallon jugs.  I put a nickle in there so you could relatively see how big they are.

Any suggestions you might have would be awesome as I really don't have any at all.  I kinda thought about coloring them with sharpies or painting them, poking holes in the ends, and stringing them like a beaded curtain.  That's the only real idea I have.
Anyways, thanks sooooo much in advance for your ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
winter83
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006 11:55:51 AM »

when i first saw that picture i had no idea what those were. They looked like funky pads. lol

I'm not sure what you could do with them. Maybe melt them down and make them into something else??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ginapea
vaginavaginavagina

i'm just sure i'm creative. deep down.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006 11:59:07 AM »

first of all, i'd like to send my deepest condolences considering your unfortunate working conditions. Smiley but, concerning these little plastic buggers, the only thing that immediately comes to mind is some kind of beaded curtain either for doorways, or even better, windows.  i really like their shape, you could use all sizes and colors, and i think they'd let an interesting amount of light in.

not the best idea, i know, but hopefully it helps to get the creativity train rolling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

booyakasha
kraphtee87
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006 12:10:09 PM »

hahaha honestly working at the WalMart I work at is not that bad.  Aside from a couple people, everyone is really great.  But anyways, yah I like the idea for the windows, I didn't really think of that.  And I have tons of funky fabric because the JoAnn's that's in my city closed  Cry Cry Cry and I bought a bunch of stuff on sale.  I can make some spiffy new curtains and attach those plastic thingies.  Woohoo!  Now all I have to do is get my sewing machine to stop being a jerk. haha  Thanks for the ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laminathegreat
Queen of the Universe

Is not here.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006 12:14:24 PM »

I don't know what you can revamp them into- but they have some GREAT uses on their own!! My mom would LOVE to use them as guitar picks. They also work well as burnishers- I think that's the word- to rub the folded edge of paper to give it a crisp line.
I get milk delivered from the local dairy, and while that rocks, I have to return the jugs and they don't have normal milk jug handles. So I never see those any more. And I never have a gallon jug sitting around for cleaning/drinking/whatever....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kraphtee87
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006 12:24:22 PM »

I really like the guitar pick idea, but I think they're too long to hold properly.  Plus, it's not very strong plastic.  I think they'd be shot after a few serious uses.  Still, maybe I could make them into "guitar pick" jewelry hahaha ^.^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006 03:15:41 PM »

Cut them down. They're about the thickness of my thin jazz pick I use...

If nothing else, good for an emergency pick!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames .com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
cranteach

I only wish I were as cool as my kid.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006 06:23:27 PM »

I wonder if you could drill two holes in them and use them like a button.  I don't think they'd make a great button, but have you seen those bracelets where they thread elastic cord through button after button after button so you have a bracelet where you see all the button edges.  Maybe if you colored them somehow?  I don't know...now that I type this out, I'm picturing it more clearly and I'm not so sure.  But I'll send it anyway, maybe it will spark something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kd
Ta Da, It's Miss America!

If you can't convince them, confuse them.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006 06:25:27 PM »

I've used them for "box cutters".... in particular for opening the plastic on things like 6 packs of mac and cheese and cases of water.  I'm thinking some sort of funky chandelier...could you use jewelery rings and make skeletons for halloween?  Letter openers.... Melting them has lotsa possibilities......
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is no such thing as a stay-at-home mom.
toomuchrock

Just another day in suburbia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006 06:35:42 PM »

guitar picks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft, Therefor I Rock!

toomuchrock.etsy.co m

MOOLA! It amazes me
Never heard of Moola? PM me or click the link for More details.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon SD770 IS: Set Underwater Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set Timer Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set Spot Meter Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set Image Resolution Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set Image Quality Function
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...