A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,201
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet in Fiction (Movies, TV, Books)  (Read 34859 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BoxOfRocks
« Reply #190 on: September 04, 2012 03:54:57 PM »

I saw three items that were NOT crocheted in Refinery29's listand commented to that effect.

Sorry for the multiple posts in a row, but I hope it's OK since some time has elapsed between each.  It appears crochet is in fashion right now.  Style blog Refinery29 recommends 15 crochet items.  All at pretty high prices--could be good inspiration for our own projects!

Ah, thanks for catching this.  Were some of the shoes among the non-crochet items?  Upon closer inspection, they look like macram.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
just1morestitch
« Reply #191 on: September 07, 2012 04:45:15 PM »

If anyone watches True Blood there are loades of crocheted afghans.  Especially at Sookie's and Lafette's (sp?). Mostly they are granny square afghans or other motiff afghans, but they are so beatiful and colorful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BennuBird

I kissed a seal and I liked it.

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 05, 2012 09:19:07 PM »

There is a really cool afghan on 30 Rock in Kenneth's apartment, it is multi primary color triangles with black. I would love to know more about it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xyphir
« Reply #193 on: October 19, 2012 10:46:37 PM »

I love a show which has just started here called: "The Middle" nearly EVERY room has a different afghan in it. I spend my half hour counting blankies! heheh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: March 02, 2014 07:09:47 PM »

I haven't been on Craftster in forever, but I thought about this thread tonight. One of the anime simulcasts my husband and I are watching on CrunchyRoll is Seki-kun: Master of Killing Time. It's about a high school girl who can't stop watching the boy across the aisle from her waste class time in wonderfully inventive ways. This week he was making an amigurumi. It was pretty cool, as we see the girl go from "he's knitting" to "that's a crochet hook" to "that's a double-ended afghan hook" and go from feeling superior about her own skills to being impressed by Seki's ability.

A couple months ago, we watched another anime, Kimi ni Todoke, that mentions crochet in a couple of episodes. The main female character crocheted Christmas gifts, and I could see a crochet diagram for a hat. As seems to be usual, it was translated as "knitting", which is why tonight's Seki-kun surprised me by distinguishing between crochet and knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: June 14, 2014 12:30:16 PM »

I've been watching far too much TV in recent months and noticing any crochet. It's usually just afghans across the back of a couch--like Amy's granny square afghan on The Big Bang Theory--but I saw the character Rosario crocheting on an episode of Will and Grace.

A couple of afghans that interested me: In the 1941 movie The Great Lie, Bette Davis' character has a ripple afghan on the back of her couch; I didn't know the pattern was that old. And on The Middle, there's always what appears to be two afghans, a ripple and a striped one, on  their couch (and, unusually, the characters actually use it), but in one episode it's spread out enough so that I now think it is only one afghan--a ripple bordered with wide stripes; I've never seen that done before and it's kind of odd-looking.

The Middle also has other crochet: I've several times seen a granny stripe afghan in the daughter's bedroom, the daughter has at least once worn a crochet scarf, and I think the aunts may have some afghans or somesuch. I don't know who's supposed to doing the crochet. There was a bag of yarn in the mother's room once, but I think they were gathering up stuff they didn't use,  and in an episode where she was supposed to volunteer wearing a team colors scarf, she showed up in something very badly knitted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: June 14, 2014 12:49:36 PM »

The TV program I've seen with the most needlecrafts is Call the Midwife. The nuns apparently do multiple kinds of needlecrafts, as they are shown knitting and sewing by hand, and they have crocheted pillows on their furniture; also they have a sewing machine on the premises. The patients often have handknit or crocheted baby clothes and blankets for their babies. The non-nun midwives can probably all do basic sewing and knitting, and one of them, Chummy, is shown making her own patterns, as well as sewing clothes and furnishings.

Something a little irritating--like a bit of sand in your shoe--from Call the Midwife though. There's an episode where they decide to keep the old nun with dementia out of trouble by setting her to making "blanket squares", which I assumed meant knitted squares that would be seamed together to make a blanket, and I believe we did see something like that going on. But at one point one of the sisters is talking and there is a granny square hanging off her knitting needle! I had to back the TiVo up and get another look. Who let that get by?

The squares--all granny, BTW--make an interesting part of the story later though. While one of their number is hospitalized, we see the midwives complete the squares and seam them all together while they sit up waiting all night, then spread the completed blanket over the unconscious woman. Even the character who had spoken disdainfully of handmade blankets early in the episode participated. It was a nice depiction of people using a handcraft to soothe their own anxiety and to offer a kind of silent, physical prayer for someone they loved. The silliness of the granny square on a knitting needle aside, I liked the use of yarn crafts in this episode.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FreakieGeekie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #197 on: August 18, 2014 03:23:21 AM »

Woo bringing up an old post Cheesy
As others have said, knitting is probably more common in TV shows because it's harder to fake crocheting than it is to fake knitting. Also, most people see you with yarn, they think you're knitting. I have to correct people about that all the time. Then they're confused because they think that knitting and crochet are the same thing *sigh*

Not in media but weird: I bought my mom a vintage afghan crochet kit (loved the earthy colors) but the woman on the front is holding knitting needles with crochet work hanging off them. Roll Eyes I'll have to see if she kept the box it came in (she put the yarn in her stash bag with the instructions) so I can post a pic of that.
One of the moms in the show "Breaking Amish" crochets. I've never seen the show but I found some shots of it on a blog post about crochet.
Also, don't know if anyone else had noticed, but Molly Weasley's sweater sleeves are crocheted, which is funny because she knits (and even has needles that are knitting on their own in the Burrow).
I think there was a crochet blanket in an episode of "Breaking Bad". It may have been in more than one episode but I only saw it once while channel surfing Smiley

Also, the person wondering about his name's spelling: it's Lafayette (True Blood).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Using Dead Trees as Halloween Decoration
How to Make a Polymer Clay Rosh Hashana Magnet Part 2/2
Creative Play Date Activities
Make Your Pumpkin "Two Faced" to Cast Images
How to Use Leftovers Wisely
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...