A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
580 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet in Fiction (Movies, TV, Books)  (Read 35199 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

peachessunshine

I love swaps/personal swaps (I knit/crochet).

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 28, 2012 02:43:04 PM »

I hope someone mentioned the legendary granny square afghan on the back of Roseanne's couch! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Long days and pleasant nights. Smiley

(Always up for a swap, organized or personal).
BoxOfRocks
« Reply #181 on: April 28, 2012 03:38:51 PM »

Yet another appearance of crochet in "Grimm" (Season 1, Episode 19, "Leave It to Beavers").  It's visible in a few shots between 28:10-29:40.  The seated woman with grey hair wearing a brown robe is crocheting.  There's even a shot of a finished cream-colored square.  Looks like someone in props or set design is a crochet fan!  Although I have to admit that for this scene, it doesn't really seem appropriate--it's an important community meeting, and one of the leaders of the meeting is crocheting instead of listening? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: May 30, 2012 02:57:33 PM »

I've been watching Kingdom and one time when the Stephen Fry character visits his aunt in the old folks home, there's a lot of crocheted items spread about and he is holding yarn for her, but there's knitting needles sticking out of some yarn or a basket nearby, no crochet hooks. We see crocheted afghans on another visit or two, but no one is ever crocheting.  I wonder why it is more common to see tv/movie characters knitting than to see them crocheting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
BoxOfRocks
« Reply #183 on: June 08, 2012 08:15:21 PM »

This isn't fiction; it's even better!   Crochet is recognized as an art form!  British crochet artist Shauna Richardson has created giant, three-dimensional crocheted lions.  There are three such works touring the UK together in honor of the 2012 Summer Olympics.  Appropriately enough, the exhibit is called The Lionheart Project and is funded by Arts Council England, the Arts Council of Northern Ireland, Creative Scotland, and the Arts Council of Wales.

Excerpt from Arts Council England's site:

The lion structures are sculpted out of polystyrene and set around steel skeletons. Over the course of two years, Shauna is using a 'one colour one stitch' freestyle technique to crochet the three lion skins tracing muscular contours as she goes.

Here's Richardson's Web site with more examples of her work.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012 08:24:42 PM by BoxOfRocks - Reason: ETA: addition of artist site » THIS ROCKS   Logged
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: June 09, 2012 12:47:50 PM »

Wow, her animals are amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
BoxOfRocks
« Reply #185 on: July 23, 2012 03:24:14 PM »

Not fiction, but fashion.  Marc Jacobs' Fall 2012 ready-to-wear line features several chunky crochet garments and accessories.  They fall in two camps: 1) 2-D thick crochet with main rows of what looks like 3-4 dc or trc followed by a sc to create a check pattern, with alternating rows in a contrasting color, and 2) thick base fabric with horizontal rows of coordinating, iridescent "fun fur."  I think I've captured most of the looks below.

Black shawl

Olive shawl

Purple shawl, olive sweater

Grey shawl, purple sweater

Grey and green scarf

Grey and purple jacket

Silver and grey tank

Silver and grey scarf

Purple and grey scarf

Another silver and grey scarf

Black and grey scarf

Grey shawl
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BoxOfRocks
« Reply #186 on: July 26, 2012 10:03:13 PM »

More crochet as art.  The Smithsonian Institution's Renwick gallery is putting on an exhibition called 40 Under 40: Craft Futures, which showcases important young artists.  One of these is Olek (nee Agata Oleksiak), a 32-year-old Polish crocheter.  Her work "Knitting is for Pus****" is featured; a picture of it is 47th out of the 61 slides in the show. 

KIFP is an installation work in which all surfaces of a studio apartment have been crocheted over.  More pics of this work and her other works are at Olek's Web site.  A couple of works are adult in nature (most aren't).  A portion of her artist statement, taken from her site, is as follows:

A loop after a loop. Hour after hour my madness becomes crochet. Life and art are inseparable. The movies I watch while crocheting influence my work, and my work dictates the films I select. I crochet everything that enters my space. Sometimes it's a text message, a medical report, found objects. There is the unraveling, the ephemeral part of my work that never lets me forget about the limited life of the art object and art concept. What do I intend to reveal? You have to pull the end of the yarn and unravel the story behind the crochet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BoxOfRocks
« Reply #187 on: August 21, 2012 09:14:17 AM »

Sorry for the multiple posts in a row, but I hope it's OK since some time has elapsed between each.  It appears crochet is in fashion right now.  Style blog Refinery29 recommends 15 crochet items.  All at pretty high prices--could be good inspiration for our own projects!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
baterista9
« Reply #188 on: September 04, 2012 03:27:03 PM »

In the 2007(?) film STOP LOSS, there is a Washington, DC, restaurant scene.  I was an extra in that scene, seated in the background. 

I was working a crochet project as the scene was set up.  A director (?) bustled past, pointed at me, and said, "Knitting!  I like it!  Do it while we're rolling!". :-)

Never saw the film myself, don't know if the crocheting was visible.  I DID make the trailer, though, in the lobby scene where Ryan Phillippe crosses left to right in foreground.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
baterista9
« Reply #189 on: September 04, 2012 03:30:46 PM »

I saw three items that were NOT crocheted in Refinery29's listand commented to that effect.

Sorry for the multiple posts in a row, but I hope it's OK since some time has elapsed between each.  It appears crochet is in fashion right now.  Style blog Refinery29 recommends 15 crochet items.  All at pretty high prices--could be good inspiration for our own projects!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
6 Amazingly Simple Hairstyles for Lazy Girls
How to Create a Full Messy Bun
Coco Rocha Cuts Off All Her Hair
Braided Undercut
Segmented Ponytail
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...