A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,548
Currently Running With Scissors:
726 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet in Fiction (Movies, TV, Books)  (Read 33458 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2008 03:04:45 PM »

In Stranger Than Fiction, the tattooed baker character has what looks like a crocheted afghan over the back of her couch. Its squares each have a large, raised rose in the middle. I think every square had a rose, but there might have been some plain ones.

You'd think the roses would get squashed as you use the afghan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
adiemonster

hiphopmapotamus v.s rymnoserous

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2008 01:34:14 PM »

the earlier episodes of friends there is always a crochet granny square blanket on the couch, and in the later ones the is a few granny pillows.

oh and  koi when i saw the hat in no reservations i paused the movie and wentinto my room to grab a crochet hook and yarn, i am still trying to figure it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS SWAP 2!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=280446.0
(this is info forum)
kateb2637
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2008 03:26:29 PM »

The other night I was watching a HBO documentary called "Thin" (it focuses on anorexic/bulimic women and their stay in a treatment center), and a lot of the women in the film were shown crocheting.

It's not fiction, but it's still a film.

I just saw that too. It's very popular (as is knitting) with people with eating disorders. A) they're all freezing, and so making scarves, blankets, etc just makes sense B) It's a good way to pass time (fairly mindless once you get going) to try to not think about food/eating/the disorder C) it keeps them moving in some small way which burns calories (any thing that burns any amount of calories is good)
Kinda off topic, but I thought I'd share. A lot of my ED friends crochet.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008 11:02:23 AM by kateb2637 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~~~~~~
I'm addicted!
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2008 05:32:04 PM »

In The Vicar of Dibley, the old lady on the Parish Council who's always cooking weird things is sometimes shown crocheting and often wearing something crocheted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
Lindsey goes to eleven
"I am that cordless screwdriver that has to charge for twenty hours to earn ten minutes use. I need that much downtime."

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2008 07:07:25 AM »

Kinda off topic, but I thought I'd share. A lot of my ED friends crochet.

I've noticed that too.  My friend was in an out-patient ED program where they would go do different activities on Fridays.  Some days the did ceramics, but many times it was a trip to the yarn store....they all learned to knit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lindsey
meghiliz

Do you have a camel?

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2008 11:18:34 AM »

In Lars and the Real Girl, there are a few crocheted items and one of the ladies crochets (its in the scene where they come over with casseroles and the others are knitting).  It looked like she actually knew how to do it too, and wasn't just faking moving the hook.

If you haven't seen it, you should.  It was marketed as a comedy but it really wasn't at all.  It was very sweet and heartwarming!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

horizonpurple
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2008 06:45:41 AM »

I don't know if this counts, but it's a mention! On the commentary track for the first series of "Black Books", Tamsin Greig is talking about a particularly intricate plotline in one of the episodes ("Blackout"). She said "It's like really good crochet". Dylan Moran replies "I don't know anything about crochet".
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2008 04:48:17 PM »

one of the ladies crochets (its in the scene where they come over with casseroles and the others are knitting).  It looked like she actually knew how to do it too, and wasn't just faking moving the hook.
This is the case of the actress saying "wait, we are knitting in this scene? I actually know how to crochet" and the director/prop master/ etc switch it out so she is really doing stuff Smiley Directors like it what the actor actually knows how to do whatever activity is happening on screen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2008 03:32:04 PM »

In the book The Borrowers the framing story has the little girl going to the old lady Mrs May (?) to be taught to crochet. They crochet lots of squares and near the end of the book they start sewing the squares together to make a blanket. The next Borrowers book refers back to this.

And thanks to meghilz for recommending Lars and the Real Girl. I'd seen the trailer back when it was first out and wanted to see it, but I couldn't remember the name. It is well worth viewing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2008 06:58:07 AM »

Ok, I'm a mom.... The Nickelodeon show Drake & Josh the evil little sister Meagan crochets (or at least pretends to) Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The King Years by Taylor Branch
The 10 Second Rule Makes Following Jesus Easy
Take Me Out to the Yarku by Aaron Meshon
The Comfort of Lies by Randy Susan Meyers
Conrad Doucette on What a Copywriter Enjoys About His Work
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...