A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet in Fiction (Movies, TV, Books)  (Read 33398 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« on: August 19, 2006 11:22:10 PM »

There's a popular knitting thread about movie knits, but I can't find anything similar for crochet. So who's seen people crocheting in movies or television programs or read stories that mention crochet? Or just seen a movie or TV show with someone wearing some interesting-looking crochet?

I'll start. I watched Peach Girl (a very girly anime with lots of romance and interpersonal relationship stuff; I think my estrogen levels went up just watching) on youtube, and in episode 13 we see Momo crocheting a cellphone pouch for her boyfriend. The English subtitle said "knitting", but she was clearly crocheting and the magazine she was using seemed to have crochet how-to illustrations. The finished cosy shows up in later episodes too. I was surprised to see crochet in a TV program; knitting seems more common in fiction for some reason.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
decarillion
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006 09:30:59 AM »

There's a very old Bette Davis movie (the name escapes me) where she plays a murderess in an Asian country (that's not exactly a helpful description but I can't remember the darn name right now!). Good movie, though.

Anyway, she is shown a couple of times crocheting a thread tablecloth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leesespieces
lisa a crochet!

"lisa's going to decorate it" - dirty dancing =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006 03:06:26 AM »

I just finally watched the Tim Burton version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (i waited a while because it looked creepy, though i LOVE tim burton, and if you like tim burton, this movie is so cool... and johnny depp makes it that much better) but anyway lol, everytime they show Charlie in his home with his grandparents, his grandmother is not only always crocheting, but in every scene she has a different crocheted hat on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Penguinhorde
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006 09:19:21 AM »

In Emmerdale (http://www.itv.com/page.asp?partid=111) the Dingles have lovely crochet blankets on their chairs & sofas. I've never seen anyone actually crocheting on screen but I rarely watch the programme, just see it sometimes when I visit my parents.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amdm
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006 06:55:53 AM »

I think the Bette Davis film is 'The Letter', and it is the only film I have seen anyone actually crocheting in (as opposed to wearing crochet clothes).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilovemyff
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006 09:24:03 PM »

On Disney Channel's That's So Raven, there is an episode where one of the main characters, the 'green' bestfriend, is shown randomly crocheting in Spanish class- well, she has a hook and yarn and 'acting' like she's crocheting anyhow. I think it's harder to simulate crocheting than knitting if you have no idea what you are doing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hiptobeme
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006 10:26:59 AM »

On the TV show Lost Claire was shown with a crochet hook and a baby bootie Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Taking a break from Craftster so I can finish up my swaps!
atla

I play with string

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006 01:38:06 PM »

Heh, I always notice Roseanne's granny square blanket on her couch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

abbynormal
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006 08:16:28 PM »

You know that you mention that I haven't seen it that much. Sometimes I think crochet isn't shown because its not as "cool" ! Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Good morning sunshine!
MysteriosGirl
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006 09:29:22 PM »

In the movie "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" there is a scene where Lena is in greece and her cousin is crocheting. Its the part where her grandma is telling her to stay away from the guy  Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Rose
How to Draw Robin
How to Draw Riko Yuusaki
How to Draw Rex Salazar
How to Draw Rayquaza
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...