A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,134
Currently Running With Scissors:
691 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet in Fiction (Movies, TV, Books)  (Read 37197 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2006 05:15:39 AM »

Cool thread!
There is a movie released in the last couple of months with Julianne Moore in it called "The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio" about a lady who help support her family by writing jingles in the 50s (based on a true story) There are several scenes in the living room that show a faded green crochet afghan - the reason I know it's crochet?  I made it!!!  My 5 seconds of fame LOL - It's shown with the kids having it around their legs watching TV and folded on the back of the couch during a scene where Julianne Moore's character is being interviewed for one of her jingles
This movie was filmed in parts in the city where I used to live

That's really cool, congratulations! Did they buy it or borrow it from you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lucyravenscar.etsy.com
lucyravenscar.blogspot.com
lucyravenscar.tumblr.com
dreamweaver75
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2006 04:41:49 AM »

That's really cool, congratulations! Did they buy it or borrow it from you?

They bought it - at the time I had some of my stuff selling in a local small store and both the director & cast were in.  Julianne Moore bought this nap mat for her toddler and the director bought the afghan with matching pillow for the movie.  I never did see the pillow in the movie but seeing my afghan was cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2006 02:55:29 PM »

Okay, I finally have a movie to add. In The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, we see two different crocheted afghans, one of small squares stitched together and another that seems to be one giant granny square. We also see three different shawls that all seem to be crocheted. We may be supposed to think Mrs. Muir made these because she has a workbasket of yarn by her chair in one scene and in another scene, while talking to the ghost, she pulls out some yarn and starts rolling it into a ball. It is also a good, sweet movie that is family-friendly.

Dreamweaver75, that's cool about your afghan. I haven't seen the movie, but I've been tempted to rent it just because I like the dress on the front of the DVD box.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
LuvCrochet
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2006 08:26:50 PM »

there was an Urban outfitters catalog awhile back with a girl crocheting
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elowen
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2007 02:12:48 PM »

In "Stranger Than Fiction" there is an amazing Granny Square afghan in Sarah's apartment.  It's black with green, and it's got crocheted roses(the green parts look like leaves), it's gorgeous and I want it.  I've been scouring the web to find a picture of it, no luck yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors but I think that God has a sick sense of humor, and when I die I expect to find him laughing" - Depeche Mode, Blasphemous Rumors
LuvCrochet
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2007 03:34:41 PM »

In "Stranger Than Fiction" there is an amazing Granny Square afghan in Sarah's apartment.  It's black with green, and it's got crocheted roses(the green parts look like leaves), it's gorgeous and I want it.  I've been scouring the web to find a picture of it, no luck yet.
I noticed that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leesespieces
lisa a crochet!

"lisa's going to decorate it" - dirty dancing =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2007 09:36:59 PM »

i don't know if anyone's said these yet, but i just noticed these - on seinfeld, at george castanza's parents' house, there's a ripple afghan always draped over the chair. and on everybody loves raymond, there's an afghan on the mother's couch as well. i know one of them is orange, green, and white but i can't remember which one lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2007 12:21:38 PM »

i can't believe no one has mentioned Harry Potter!

crochet is mentioned in the second chapter of the first book when JK Rowling describes the interior of Mrs. Figg's house she mentions that the sofa has crocheted doilies on them!

i remember reading and going... "cool! i can crochet too!"

HP is more well known for knits... but there is a crochet reference!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
brideOFkniterstein

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2007 12:43:14 PM »

i haven't read the book, so forgive me... but i've seen the movie

"like water for chocolate"

when the main character has a "break down" she starts to crochet. and she crochets and crochets. when they take her "away" to get help, her 'mai' wraps her in the blanket she'd crochet. as the horse drawn carrage pulls away and the camara widens the shot, you see the blanket trail behind the carriage... for a very long time. it's so funny!!!!

great movie!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down with Personal Swaps
My Wist

BRIDES-TO-BE: i have wedding stuff i would love to swap away. pm me for list of items!
motleycruiser
Anitsocial Butterfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2007 10:51:01 PM »

Bizarre foods on the travel channel was in Equador & there were a bunch of women at the outside market he visited crocheting like mad women........I thought I was fast but I was seriously humbled by how fast they were doing it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Approach a Monologue in Acting
How to Cast Actors for a Play
How to Deal with Difficult Actors
How to Be a Theatre Director
How to Direct a Play
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...